Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello all. I'm new here.
I couldn't resist picking up the paint recommended in this thread. Ended up buying a gallon of valspar signature flat white (A) with magenta 115 2.68 tint added. I bought 5 4oz tubes of silver paint to mix.
I have a new sprayit sp33000 lvlp sprayer to paint a nice flat layer. Unfortunately it came with only a 1.3mm needle. I have a 2.0 on order.
Anyone have any luck spraying this paint with a lvlp sprayer? if so, any luck with a 1.3mm needle?
I can't speak for that particular sprayer, but I have been using a Wagner Opti-Stain which is advertised as using something like a 0.7mm-0.8mm tip and simpy mixing a relatively small amount of water into the paint mix (since these are all water-based paints) seems to do the trick.

In my situation with somewhat thin cheapo paint (ColorPlace brand wall-paint is one of the thinner brands) but also what sounds like a thinner spray-gun tip, adding about 6oz-water per quart of paint keeps the gun from acting sputtery.
Thinning the paint with a bit of water like this can also help the results lay and dry a little smoother/flatter which is helpful for screens...the only really danger is if you get the paint too thin it'll drip/run/sag on the wall which often looks terrible if there's metallic in the mix since it'll highlight the surface flaws.

If possible, I'd suggest testing small amounts of your mix in your gun on a smooth cheap surface you can prop or hang upright..this will let you see how much water you can add to your paint before it runs/sags and also let you test how much you'll need to add to allow it to flow smoothly through the gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great source of information you all have here, I was wondering if anyone knows of an N9 mix that I can do in Pittsburgh or Dutchboy paint (Colorpalace is also available locally but I assume would be the lowest quality.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts