Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that this is the Exodus Audio forum but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion if any other PR's than the EX-PR18's DIY Cable sells are better for use with the MalX. I already have bought and recieved 2 MalX drivers and was intending to build 2 six cubic foot sealed boxes but after doing some reading and talking with my home theater designer Dennis Erskine (I am having the room built/designed by a pro but couldn't stomach the crazy prices of the subs they suggested like the Genelec HTS6 or Gotham, we are talking FIVE digits) I am leaning towards building 2 MalX+ dual PR boxes (~9cuft each). These will be behind a stewart AT 2.35 screenwall so size/appearence does not matter to me as long as they fit in the 24-26" space beind the screen (Dennis also suggested pointing the drivers parallel to the screen and not directly at the listening position, so a downfiring driver + 2 opposed side-firing design was my thought.)

The only other high quality PR's I have seen prices for are the Acoustic Elegance PR18-2100's and 1600's. These 2 brands are basically the same price.

I could also go with another driver in each box (2 sealed boxes with opposed drivers). this would yield more overall SPL but not as "flat" of a curve vs the PR design. If it would be a lot better I am not opposed to doing the 2 dual driver box and dropping the extra 300 bucks or so to get 2 more Malx vs 4 PR's. I just dont know how big of a deal having a "flatter" curve is vs having more headroom/SPL on tap.

Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only other PR I've ever seen people mention using is the AE 2100g. Personally, I like the look of the Maelstrom and the PR's so that is why I chose them, behind a screen wall, looks aren't as important, so you could model both and see which you like best.

What are you going to use to drive these? If you are using something like a plate amp you won't have enough power to get a sealed version to dig down as far as a PR version will.

I would probably go with the extra drivers if it were me and money wasn't an issue. If money was a slight issue and I didn't have a pro amp to drive it, I would go with 2 of the dual PR'ed route.

Another thing to consider is the box going to be 6 cubic feet internal or external? Between the drivers and internal bracing that could easily know you down in the 4 cubic feet range if it is external. That is very small for a PR box, Kevin usually recommends 8-10 I think. Also, be sure with a box that small you are going to have enough space on the inside to accomadate all the drivers without a problem. I just built a 26" cube for a dual PR Maelstrom-X build and that's about the smallest you can have for everything to be symmetrical.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I'll be using a proamp, not a plate amp. Some EP2500s or QSC PLX's

If I did the PR box it would be in the recommended ~9cuft range.

What About the more overall SPL vs a flatter curve argument? (4 sealed drivers vs 2 w/dual PRs)

·
Registered
71 Posts
To be honest I'm not really sure. I know with in my room the room gain is so crazy below 40hz I had to use 3 12db cut filters in order to get it to level out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is for a pretty big room, 19x22x12ft ceilings so I dont know how much room gain im gonna get down there

·
Registered
63 Posts
For elegance and simplicity, if power and cost aren't pressing issues, I'd go with two dual-Mael-X boxes (opposed-firing), no PRs. You'll need either two regular pro amps, or one big one. Either way, you're gonna want some sort of eq box, so natural frequency response isn't much of an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts