Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

341 - 360 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
KEF 107/2's are what I currently own and I'd have to say they are the best I've owned for my ears followed by the B&W 801's I used to own. I'm sure there are better, I just can't afford them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You know, I can't imagine I'll ever own them but I often think back to the Maggie 1.6s I spent a couple hours listening to in a relatively well-setup room a while back. The were glorious, easily the most transparent speakers I ever heard.

That said, my experience with high-end speakers is limited. I happily lived with a pair of thos huge AR9 speakers from 1982 until 2010, when I sold them and bought my Ascend Sierras. And, you know, I really miss those ARs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You know, I will tell you what I have learned, and frankly it took me a lifetime to learn (and accept ) it. Do NOT worry as to what is "the best" of anything so to speak. Buy what sound and looks the best to YOU, and you can afford to buy it without owing little if anything to own it. Then set it up, and sit and enjoy. I spent years of wasted time and money pursuing what editors, reviewers, friends etc, said was the best. I now own an unbelievable system by average standards and it sounds and looks good to me. As matter of fact, I think it is THE best, and just relaxing in the glorious music and not owing anyone a dime makes it sound all the more better!!!

A lot of us miss the point, but if we are really lucky, someday we come to the conclusion I have just said to you. We then relax and enjoy: Forget the stress about what the next fellow has. Enjoy and be thankful for what you have my friends. Life will be easier and the music will sound glorious!

Cheers,
Konky.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
That's a great attitude to have Konky. It really is easy to get wrapped up in one-upmanship in this hobby, and to obsess over reviews and other postings. Get what makes you happy within your means and don't worry about what you might be "missing". Chances are if you're on a dedicated forum for audio, you have something nice to listen to anyway!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I heard a pair of Focal Grande Utopias at an audio show a few years ago, and they just blew me away. The dynamics, the soundstage, I had (and still have not) heard anything like them. For around $200k per pair, I should hope not.
Those are amazing looking speakers, I've never had the chance to hear them. I went to Speakerlab (local audio shop here in Seattle) this week and listened to the 1028BE's ($9k a pair) and was extremely impressed by them! They needed to be spread out more as the soundstage was a little congested but clarity, dynamics, texture, bass definition and speed, were all at the top of what I've ever heard. Really gave me a new goal to shoot for in my own systems :wave:

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay, I am officially changing my best speakers ever heard. I now own the best speakers I have ever heard. The Klipsch Reference RF-3 II towers with matching RC-3 II center and RS-3 II surrounds. I have dual Elemental Designs a2-300 12" subs, with TC Sounds Epic 12" driver upgrades in them and a beringher 1200 watt RMS amp powering the subs. All this is hooked up to a flagship 60lb. Denon avr 5600. The room has bass traps and DIY acoustic panels. Never heard anything even close.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Okay, I am officially changing my best speakers ever heard. I now own the best speakers I have ever heard. The Klipsch Reference RF-3 II towers with matching RC-3 II center and RS-3 II surrounds. I have dual Elemental Designs a2-300 12" subs, with TC Sounds Epic 12" driver upgrades in them and a beringher 1200 watt RMS amp powering the subs. All this is hooked up to a flagship 60lb. Denon avr 5600. The room has bass traps and DIY acoustic panels. Never heard anything even close.
Nice! I see those come up on CL every once in a while and have always thought about picking up a set. They can be had pretty reasonably too. Any pictures??

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
These did impress me most last 20 years:

- VOTT
- Klang & Ton Duetta
- Odeon Tosca S
- Backes & Müller (sadly I don't know exactly which)

Still love my own as well. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fun thread. I haven't heard that many "high end" speakers but for me, would have to be a pair of Canton Reference 1.2 DC. This was in a treated show room so it certainly helped. It was powered by some kind of fancy tube amp, didn't pay attention to the brand.

They were playing some jazz music. There was a recliner in front of the setup. I must have stayed there for like 20 minutes, and I don't even like jazz :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The monitor Audio to me are the best when went to compare speakers i heard the wharferdale and was not as amazing or a sound full of details in details but when listened the Monitor Audio broze BX5 just was incredible, the detail level that have , in fact i later by reasons of space at home got the BX2 and are amazing they sounds great full bodies sound and voices brighter and do not even sounds like bookshelfs really.

i have connected to a Denon AVR 1312 and just sounds nice

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
This is a tough question to answer, but I'm pretty sure that I'd buy this Scaena speaker system if money were no object (and they're barely in the 6 figure price range). Although this fox can't reach those grapes, I know they are anything but sour.

There are, of course, other high hanging grapes that I think are fantastically sweet. Fortunately, there are some tasty selections within reach.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Infinity IRS Betas... Wow, just wow... A dream of mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Infinity IRS Betas... Wow, just wow... A dream of mine.
And a very nice dream too.....
I bought a pair in 1989, and used them till 2001 when a move to a smaller room made them impractical to use.
My wife insisted that I hold onto them & not sell them ( as I had intended to do ) - once again she was right !
I have been through Magico Minis, Mini 2's, V3's and finally Magnepan MG3.7R's - all great speakers in their own right and within the right sized room.
After 12 years we now have a new house with large music room and the IRS are back and sound as great as ever.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
And a very nice dream too.....
I bought a pair in 1989, and used them till 2001 when a move to a smaller room made them impractical to use.
My wife insisted that I hold onto them & not sell them ( as I had intended to do ) - once again she was right !
I have been through Magico Minis, Mini 2's, V3's and finally Magnepan MG3.7R's - all great speakers in their own right and within the right sized room.
After 12 years we now have a new house with large music room and the IRS are back and sound as great as ever.
Well, I couldn't list the IRS Betas because I've never heard them, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to own them. Congratulations on being one of the few who can say that he does own them - and for having such a brilliant wife! Methinks, a photo is in order.:bigsmile:

341 - 360 of 404 Posts