Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

361 - 380 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, the system has evolved over time to where it is now. The front ends are a SOTA Cosmos turntable with Eminent Tech ET2 air bearing arm and Garrott custom cartridge, feeding a VTL TP6.5 phono preamp, VTL TL 7.5 pre. A Wadia 4 box 9 series player handles CD playback and a German T+A MP3000HV handles internet radio, FM and network streaming duty. All cables are Transparent XL. The room is built from straw bales plastered with lime plaster. Thee are over 6 tonnes of plaster in this one room alone ! The room has turned out really nice acoustically, having near perfect RT60 and very flat response. I have some bass traps in the corners to tame a few bass lumps, but otherwise minimal treatments. My idea was to keep damping to a minimum by balancing hard & soft materials at the construction stage. If anybody is interested in more detail on the room side of things I can post an article in the appropriate thread.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Fixed the photo link in post 361. Very nice.

...The room is built from straw bales plastered with lime plaster. Thee are over 6 tonnes of plaster in this one room alone ! The room has turned out really nice acoustically, having near perfect RT60 and very flat response. I have some bass traps in the corners to tame a few bass lumps, but otherwise minimal treatments. My idea was to keep damping to a minimum by balancing hard & soft materials at the construction stage. If anybody is interested in more detail on the room side of things I can post an article in the appropriate thread.
Straw bales! Six tons of plaster! OK, I for one am extremely interested! How about a thread over in the Home Theater Design and Construction forum? All the detail you can muster. We are all ears!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Yes, indeed - that is one fine system in one fine environment. Such a wall is a superb sound insulator and behaves somewhat like an omnipresent bass trap. Certainly, no room can be perfect, but I imagine it has a very natural sounding response. I assume it's also built with calculated dimensions (a well distributed cuboid is an excellent shape, acoustically speaking). I don't know where to start with the system, but I love the fact that such systems are out there - simply superb system.

Thanks for sharing, and do share more details of the construction in the aforementioned thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have posted a picture - apologies for the poor quality, had to take it with my iPad as daughter has my "real" camera !
NICE!!! color me envious

I have a good friend with a pair of Beta's he bought used from Woodbridge Audio in NJ and then sold me his RS IIa's. Trying to lever the Betas from him but he won't budge. ;). In the meantime, they sit idol in crates as he is building his biz overseas. Such a waste.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my Betas, just thinking about upgrading the old caps in the crossovers.
Only way I would part with them is if I came across a mint set of IRS V's... those are what I have always wanted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my Betas, just thinking about upgrading the old caps in the crossovers. Only way I would part with them is if I came across a mint set of IRS V's... those are what I have always wanted.
You have the room for the big boys! Try this guy...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-INFINITY-RS-1b-NO-MODIFICATIONS-STOCK/281206372240?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222002&algo=SIC.FIT&ao=1&asc=163&meid=3008331674283790363&pid=100005&prg=1088&rk=2&rkt=3&sd=281159948900&.

Not the V's but closer!

I also need to upgrade / refresh the electronics on my. RS IIa's. Lots of help on the 'gon for that but haven't got my head into it yet as I simply don't understand it. For me, it would be replace one part at a time with a new one of exactly the same spec. I could not get creative as I have no idea what any of the parts do. I think this is needed since they are all original and the adjustments on the back of the speakers have NO EFFECT and one is brighter than the other - ever so slightly. (Could also be I am less sensitive in y right ear...) what a hobby

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will probably find that the potentiometers in the RS's have become clogged up with gunk & just need a clean. I use Caig Labs DeoxIt D5s which you just spray into the small holes in the side of the pot and then rotate the knob back & forth a few dozen times to distribute the fluid. This will fix all but totally stuffed pots !

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will probably find that the potentiometers in the RS's have become clogged up with gunk & just need a clean. I use Caig Labs DeoxIt D5s which you just spray into the small holes in the side of the pot and then rotate the knob back & forth a few dozen times to distribute the fluid. This will fix all but totally stuffed pots !
I have done this for the connections and the knobs on the EQ but have not sprayed it into the pots in the speakers. Guess I will try.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Revel Salon2 is the best speakers that I have heard but it also has
a nice format.
It is narrow, which makes it fit into rooms that are not so great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I really enjoy reading these post. I live in Kentucky and it is hard to listen to really good stuff anymore. We used to have a high end shop and I remember listening to some big Martin Logans and was blown away. I have a friend that has some 70's model Snells that sound so good to me.

I had 2-3 sets of Polks and someone loaned me some Rogers and I knew I had to have something different. I found ACI on the net and purchased the Sapphire lll LE's from Mike. I still listen to them daily. I would love to hear some Salk's or Vapor's now. I never liked really bright speakers that I have heard. I am in my mid 50's now and would like to upgrade, just don't know what to look at or where. Guess I need to plan a road trip.

·
Registered
630 Posts
One of the best speakers that I own are the Boston E60 speakers, they
throw a big soundstage, with real good detail, definition and depth.
And they are smooth - HT Labs measurements >>

The E60's listening-window response measures +1.25/–0.97 dB from 200 Hz
to 10 kHz. The –3 dB point is at 65 Hz, and the –6 dB point is at 53 Hz.
Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.36 ohms at 203 Hz and a phase angle of
–58.73 degrees at 111 Hz.

There are still some at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-E60-Performance-Bookshelf/dp/B001H9O1CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387389025&sr=8-1&keywords=BOSTON+E60

A closer image
http://i.seimg.net/images/309923/big/combo-pair-e60-black_efl.jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Revel Salon2 is the best speakers that I have heard but it also has
a nice format.
It is narrow, which makes it fit into rooms that are not so great.

Revel Salon is a great speaker, these belong to my friend Gerard and they are fed by Classé mono blocks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Living in Hawaii does not give us much options on what speakers can be auditioned. There is really only one real hifi store and it's a small shop. They carry JBL's top line speakers (they even have an old Paragon on display) that sells for $10,000+.

They also carry Magneplanars and I have to admit that I have not heard anything better that their 20.7s. If I had the money and the room for it, I would buy it in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Living in Hawaii does not give us much options on what speakers can be auditioned. There is really only one real hifi store and it's a small shop. They carry JBL's top line speakers (they even have an old Paragon on display) that sells for $10,000+.

They also carry Magneplanars and I have to admit that I have not heard anything better that their 20.7s. If I had the money and the room for it, I would buy it in a heartbeat...
And you Jon would be doing a very good thing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have to say that for movie use the best speakers that I've heard so far are the ones I currently own, JTR 228HT's. I still haven't heard anything that can play as loud as they can while still remaining crystal clear without a hint of distortion.

With ear plugs in I've had my system turned up to about +5 over reference and with my SPL meter in hand from my LP I was hitting peaks of 118dB while watching a few scenes from Pacific Rim.

361 - 380 of 403 Posts