Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
The pair of B&W 803D's I saw yesterday. They were ran through 2 500W (1000W @ 4 Ohms) Classe Monoblocks. Wow. Don't ask me how much they were...
Jim

C

·
0 Posts
I think the best speakers I've heard were some Martin Logans at a store in Orlando last week. Although those should sound good considering how much they cost!

Z

·
0 Posts
I'm kind of in the "Speakers I own" favorites club...
I think it's partially emotional attachment and mostly having lived with these speakers for a considerable length of time... I've gotten past the awe when first hearing speaker different from our own, and down to the "can I listen to this for hours at a time"

My Allison Acoustic CD7 Towers, rock for everything I've played through them.
I walked into a salvation army store one day, as I often do looking for the deal of a lifetime on some great old gear the sales rep thinks is just old junk :) From across this huge warehouse I hear some radio station playing so clearly and well defined I'm drawn to the sound like a rat to the piper..
Just as I get there, the sales guy disconnects a beautifull top firing tower speaker I had never seen before... I start to oogle it as he connects the second speaker.. (These had JUST come in and were being tested before being put out for sale!) blughbluhglbuhglbluhg the second speaker sounded totally shot.. I asked what they were intending to charge seeing as the 2nd speaker was obviously shot.. $50usd for the pair. I took them, replaced the foam rubber rings. and presto brand new!

Though I will have to say if your listening at high levels for too long the high end crispness, starts to feel crispy. But I'm rarely if ever able to push them that hard that long.. The full range tone is clear and deep without ever getting muddy. The stereo image is amazing just about anywhere in my listening area...

Now don't get me started on the Klipsch KG2wo's like butter on a warm biscuit...

·
Registered
90 Posts
this one easy: Martin Logan statement e2 driving by 6 krell monoblock and pierre lurné audiomeca J1turntable as front end. There's was also a big screen with faroudja projector for home theater with the same system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd have to say Eggelston, Wilson are my most rememberable but the rooms they were in were pretty perfect too. I've listened to a lot of Tanoy in recording studio'd that are very realistic. Best bang for the buck are the Klipsch Ref 7 system. I've heard these speakers with Rotel, McIntosh (which I own), Pioneer Elite and Krell and they blew away some very highly priced speakers. My McIntosh dealer did a nice demo in a great acoustically controlled room of McIntosh amps and mcintosh speakers...McIntosh speakers are quite nice too.

D

·
0 Posts
I like Meridian model's DSP5200 and DSP8000, Magnepan 3.6, M&K 150P (p=powered), Aerial 10
it's all subjective to the room setup .... some sound great other sound flat. Get the room setup correct and WOW

Dewboy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Watts/ Puppies for sheer slam on bass/drums at suitably high levels.

M&K speakers seem to exhibit similar properties.

Best reproduced piano sound I've ever heard was an early Quad valve/ESL 57 system in a small room.

Best organ reproduction quality (ever): My IB. :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
A few weeks ago I went back to the Tweeter where I first heard the mid-level Martin Logans that I raved about. It had been a few years, and I have have heard a lot of speakers in the meantime. I wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I was years ago.

I haven't auditioned any high end speakers yet, as I don't want to spoil my ignorance. But of all the mid-level speakers I've listened to (under $2000) my DALI Ikons were the best. That's why I bought them!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
A few weeks ago I went back to the Tweeter where I first heard the mid-level Martin Logans that I raved about. It had been a few years, and I have have heard a lot of speakers in the meantime. I wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I was years ago.

I haven't auditioned any high end speakers yet, as I don't want to spoil my ignorance. But of all the mid-level speakers I've listened to (under $2000) my DALI Ikons were the best. That's why I bought them!
I rather liked the little Dali Grand Coupé. The first time I heard them I thought they sounded like liquid silk. The Dali 750s made the popular B&W 603s sound very tame.

The only MLs I have heard (at a show) had a distinctive and irritating resonance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Kef Reference 3.2's nearly brought a tear to my eye when i demo'd them.

They were being Bi-amped by 4 * 200W Rotel monoblocks in a fairly large room

At least i know what they are capable of when i can afford more upgrades :jump:

Off to Bristol sound and vision next month (minus the credit card) so all will probably change.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Best speaker system I've hear was the full 5.1 setup of Wilsons with the x-1's for mains and the killer sub watch dog along with their center and surrounds. Only really saw movies and some DVD-audio on this system. My favorite speakers are the B&W 801's. Listened to some music on those and thought they were fantastic. My home setup will do for now though. Athena 5.1 setup. Soon to add DIY sub that I hope will compete with the Wilson sub.

J

·
0 Posts
The best I've ever heard would have to be the "DALI IKON 6" The sound you get from them is breath taking, even if they do need room & a good solid amp to go with them. I'm saving for them now:yes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
K-horns without question. Of course you need good corners (or willing to make false corners). 60 year old design that still works. Secondly would be LaScala...but I am biased. See my sig.
I wrote this in May of last year. I can now add Klipsch Jubilee to the list. Awesome two-way speaker, very detailed, non-fatiguing, wide soundstage (and I only heard it in mono!). Unfortunately it has a low WAF:crying: .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
In my experience, the very best sound I have ever heard from a set of stereo speakers was the Vandersteen 5A's with some very expensive equipment attached to them. Those speakers literally, completely, dissapeared, and what I heard was as close to a live performance as I have ever heard. High on the 2nd place list were the B & W 801D's (with the diamond tweeters).
The best low cost speakers I have heard are the one's I own now-the SVS SBS-01's.
I would love to hear the Klipsch corner horns sometime, tho. Dennis

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
:rolleyesno: We weep for you. :hush: :sob:

:R

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
One hasn't lived until they have seen the Bose 901's hanging from the ceiling and swaying back and forth due to the ports in the back acting like jet engines! By the way, I have driven past Bose "Mountain" in Framingham, Mass. - it isn't that big! Dennis

·
Registered
636 Posts
Listened to:
Monitor Audio Bronze line
Monitor Audio Silver S6, S8, S10
Definitive Tech BP10s?
Hsu VT-12
Castle Avon
Swan 2.1
Onix Reference 1
Onix Reference 3
B&W Bookshelves (705 os 805)
Something-I-don't-know-the-name-of-since-it-was-in-China

I would say my current Onix Reference 3's are the best out of that list.

L

·
0 Posts
I would have to say Eggleston Works - Rosa. I accompanied a friend to his friend's basement opening - these speakers can pound the daylight out of you. These speakers "will " be my next DIY project.

41 - 60 of 404 Posts