Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a pair of JBL LSR305's and I've been doing some EQ on them. I like the way they sound but I think I prefer a house curve that's not totally flat, I prefer to taper the high end so that they are a little less bright. I am wondering what the best way to go about this is?

What I did at first was just had REW auto EQ the entire freqency range of 20-20 kHz. By doing this it is creating a total of like 14 filters. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that it's a.) not a good idea to have that many corrections and b.) EQing the high end can lead to some undesirable things happening such as distortion. Again, I could be wrong, but this is what I've picked up as I've been progressing on my journey. I've noticed that if I use these EQ settings from REW with EqualizerAPO, I do find that some of the highs are definitely muted. That is what I'm going for, but I'm wondering if there's a better way of going about this?

I have been playing around in EqualizerAPO and REW and am trying a different method. So in REW, I've only EQ'd 20-400 Hz. This meant I only had like 4 filters. Once I imported those from REW to EqualizerAPO, I then used the built in EQ to create a taper of sorts for both channels that looks like this:

Is this a bad idea? Is there an easier way to do this all from REW instead of having to do it in EqualizerAPO?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Setup goes like this: PC to the speakers via 3.5 mm to 1/4 TS. I'm running the audio from the Line out of the PC's motherboard.

I probably didn't word it correctly, but the EQ I'm referring to is EqualizerAPO using the Peace GUI for it which is what is shown in the OP.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Does APO have a shelving option? That could gently lower the treble with a single broad filter. Much preferable to a bunch of smaller filters.

And yes, 14 filters is way too much. Any speakers that actually need that kind of correction need to go out with the trash. With any decent-quality speaker, typically you only want to address the “big” problems, and not chase every little ripple in response, as the former is what will get you an audible improvement in sound quality (if one is to be had). You might review my Minimal EQ article on over-equalizing bass (in my signature), and this thread
for similar info on EQing the main speakers.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your response! I don't think that these speakers are bad, it's more of a placement issue. They are on a desk less than a foot from the wall. I do have them on some cheap foam isolation pads which does help and angles them up to my ears more but I know it's not ideal. Down the road when I get a new place I am hoping to have more room for a more ideal setup...anyways...

Thank you! I had to do a little research but a High Shelf filter sounded like just what I was looking for. I have done a manual EQ of the speakers and I think the results are much more acceptable. Do you think this looks like a decent EQ in terms of filters? It is late here so I can't be running any freqencey sweeps right now but I'll do that tomorrow and see how this EQ is measuring, but I'm listening at low volume right now and it sounds really nice.

I appreciate your advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts