Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using WinISD to model various designs for a HT sub I am planning to build. When modeling I apply a high pass filter to prevent exceeding max cone excursion at low hz levels. For example, is it possible to apply a 3rd order high pass filter at 14.25hz using the BFD 1124P? If so, how easy is it to do for someone who has never used a DSP before?

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

While many (if not most) pro audio equalizers have on-board low- and high-pass filters, the BFD does not. As you may know, a high- (or low-) pass filters continually roll out response at a set rate per octave. Since the BFD has no HP or LP filters the best it can offer is one if its standard EQ filters. These will eventually flatten, not continually drop.

Many amps have low pass filters, but I’ve never seen one as low as 14 Hz. Typically you will need an outboard device to accomplish this.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While many (if not most) pro audio equalizers have on-board low- and high-pass filters, the BFD does not. As you may know, a high- (or low-) pass filters continually roll out response at a set rate per octave. Since the BFD has no HP or LP filters the best it can offer is one if its standard EQ filters. These will eventually flatten, not continually drop.

Many amps have low pass filters, but I’ve never seen one as low as 14 Hz. Typically you will need an outboard device to accomplish this.

Regards,
Wayne
Do you have any recommendations on devices that offer an adjustable high pass filter? I have found quite a few subwoofer amps that have high pass filters than can be adjusted by replacing the resistors, but, I would prefer a device that is adjustable on the fly and can be used with any amp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any recommendations on devices that offer an adjustable high pass filter? I have found quite a few subwoofer amps that have high pass filters than can be adjusted by replacing the resistors, but, I would prefer a device that is adjustable on the fly and can be used with any amp.
I answered my own question. I found the Reckhorn B-1, ED eq.2, and the DCX2496 all do what I need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts