Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Can anyone give me some info on the BFD and REW? Just a basic explanation of the two. I am thinking that they will be similar to the velodyne sms-1 and the svs as-eq1.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brucek. I have been reading as much as I can. Which BFD should I get. The DSP 1124P or the FBQ 2496? I also need to get a microphone and a different spl meter. I have an older RS now. Also, a sound card for my laptop I think. After buying all this stuff would it be better to get the Velodyne sms-1 or the SVS as-eq1?

Thanks

I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi Slinger, welcome to the Shack, this is the place to learn everything about REW, this is the most comprenhensive site for all things to do with REW and the BFD...

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Which BFD should I get. The DSP 1124P or the FBQ 2496?
A couple of threads here and here.

I also need to get a microphone and a different spl meter. I have an older RS now.
The RS meter is fine for subwoofers. Remember a microphone also requires a mic preamp. A good standalone meter for full range is the Galaxy CM-140.

After buying all this stuff would it be better to get the Velodyne sms-1 or the SVS as-eq1?
You wouldn't require them if you had a BFD.

brucek

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but getting all of the things that you need to use the BFD and REW isn't cheap.

BFD DSP 1124P $150
Galaxy CM-140 $130
Turtle Beach ext. sound card $80
ECM 8000 microphone $50
XENYX 802 Preamp $60
Cable $???

This adds up to approx $470

Do I need all of this? Is there anything else that I would need?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yes, but getting all of the things that you need to use the BFD and REW isn't cheap.

BFD DSP 1124P $150
Galaxy CM-140 $130
Turtle Beach ext. sound card $80
ECM 8000 microphone $50
XENYX 802 Preamp $60
Cable $???

This adds up to approx $470

Do I need all of this? Is there anything else that I would need?

Thanks
No, you don't need all of that. For starters, you don't need both the Galaxy AND the ECM/Xenyx combo... either one will do fine. As Bruce said, since you have an RS meter, if you're only interested in BASS measurements (as most people besides me are) then that RS meter will work fine and you don't need the Galaxy, the ECM or the Xenyx at all! You mentioned you have a soundcard for your laptop... chances are it will work fine as well (just make sure it has LINE IN and LINE OUT), so no need for the Turtle... so your cost would only be the BFD + a few cables and adapters... very inexpensive...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts