Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I got myself in a real mess with this BFD sub EQ'ing business and would really like to meet up with someone in the Brooklyn/Williamsburg NY area who could give me some hands-on help with creating a flat response and a house curve. I could spare a $100 for your time and experience if we can come up with some real results. I've been all over the forums and just can't make the jump, it seems the learning curve is just to steep from where i am. I've got a Mac, a PC and a 2055 Radioshack SPL meter along with REW and of course a 1124P BFD.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
37 Posts
WOW 100 bucks! I'd do it for a dozen bagels and rainbow cookies from Brooklyn.:D
I'm a transplanted New Yorker to Indiana.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Setting the levels to begin with took hours to figure out and then when it came to creating filters my head felt like it was going to explode, basically i don't have the time to invest in learning from the place where i am as just these simple steps presented an enormous challenge for me.

For some one whose mind tends to work along these lines already i can understand how it might seem like a simple sequence of instructions is all that is necessary, however in reality this is not my experience. I was planning on carrying out the instructions in the excellent REW/BFD guide and by the end of the day which i estimated would be 8hrs i would have the room eq'd and a basic house curve mapped out, seemed reasonable.

In fact at the end of the day i had only figured out how to connect everything and still had my doubts about if my levels being correct and since nothing can be measured until this is certain that is where "progress" ended.

I need this to be a one time thing as my life does not have room for a back and forth among forum members ad-infinitum, also the PC i have available is set up on another floor of the building and requires disconnecting a reconnecting every time i get into this.

So my conclusion based on all this is someone with the right skills and previous experience could accomplish the same results in a half day it would take me a month of weekends to figure out. I would gladly pay for this although it would be more of a good will thing as i am merely an artist assistant with limited resources hence my offer of $100.

Thanks for responding
David
:dontknow:

·
Registered
37 Posts
David,

It will take more then 8hrs to do it correctly. There is a lot of things to do to achieve good results.
I have been doing this for about 4 years and I still make changes. Post a pic of your results and we can tell if the levels and system is set up properly.
There are other things to consider before you just set filters and forget the whole thing.
As you do measurements you will realize most likely the speaker and listening position needs tweaking, levels need to be set properly, you need room treatment, etc..
If nobody can helps you we could possibly get a conversation (e-mail) going.

JPV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi JPV,

thanks for enlightening me on a few things, it seems i'm not quite the idiot i imagined myself to be (we will see), hopefully i will have a little time this weekend to get into all this again. As it was about a month since i tried to set my levels i'm not sure if i still remember how to go about it but will give it another go, also i lost the old data due to a pc crash!

Get back soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts