Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a new subwoofer and the REW software with the BFD unit intrigues me. But I have a number of questions on its use if one purchases a subwoofer or AVR with auto setup features.

Does the Automatic Room Optimizer in JL Audio's Fathom series, and the Room Equalization System in Velodyne's DD-18 subwoofers do the same thing that the BFD together with REW does, albiet for more money? These two subs seem highly regarded, but I wonder how much of the performance is because of the driver versus how much it is because the effect of auto room equilization. Would you still recommend using a BFD along with REW if one were to buy these subs? Would you still use REW and somehow manually tweek the subwoofer? Can you even get the same level of control on these subwoofers (eg, manually tweek the filters, house curve, etc) as you can with BFD/REW?

Are there any AVR's that currently have the resolution to measure and equalize a subwoofer the same way as BFD/REW?

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
The JL Fathom A.R.O. only addresses the single largest peak at the main listening seat. The Velodyne DD system includes an eight band parametric EQ. That will probably work as well as the BFD in this application. But the BFD is only $150, and will still be just as useful when you upgrade to Infinite Baffle. ;)

REW is far more powerful than the DD system analysis software. You can measure at multiple locations and correct for the average. You can view the time response of your system. And 100 other things. Fortunately, it's free, so it won't cost you anything to try it out!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of the two subs mentioned, it seems the Velodyne has the better solution. But why pay the premium if you can get the same performance with another more affordable sub along with the BFD. With the BFD solution, it all comes down to who's got the best amp, box, and drivers for the money.

No doubt JL and Velodyne are using good components. But are they better than everyone else without the built-in equalization? Probably not.

About the Infinite Baffle... :daydream:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts