Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MFW-15 in my small media room that I am finally getting around to EQ'ing as my Turbo Kit is on its way. I have been using Audyssey exclusively to tame the resonances up to this point.
My buddy has a SMS-1 that he is going to let me borrow and I’m going to purchase a Feedback Destroyer to compare it to. I’m familiar with REW and plan to use that (and my ears) to compare the end results of the two products.

I’m a still a bit confused to which FBQ I should purchase even after reading the many threads on this topic. However most of them were tailored to the DSP1124p vs the FBQ2496. I definitely want to be able to use the MIDI interface to load filters. The DSP1124p appears to be discontinued so that is out of the mix. The FBQ1000 seems to be nearly identical except I have not seen a confirmation that REW can communicate with it over the MIDI interface. The FBQ2469 is known to work well with the MIDI interface.

I did like the fact the DSP1124p could have multiple presets that I could use for “Movie” and “Music” curves. I don’t think the FBQ2496 has this feature and I’m not sure about the FBQ1000.

It has been covered many times that the FBQ2496’s electronics are of better quality (and produce less distortion) than the DSP1124p. Is this still the case for the FBQ1000?

Anybody have any real world experience with the FBQ1000?

John, can you confirm a working MIDI communication between the FBQ1000 and REW?

Thank in advance as I know there are quite a few questions here.

-Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts

We haven’t had anyone weigh in yet that owns the FBQ1000, but it appears to be identical to the DSP1124. We don’t know if it has any upgrades, or if Behringer simply made the model number change to be like that of their other feedback destroyer devices.

I did like the fact the DSP1124p could have multiple presets that I could use for “Movie” and “Music” curves. I don’t think the FBQ2496 has this feature and I’m not sure about the FBQ1000.
Correct, the 2496 does not have any memories. I’m sure Behringer has the FBQ1000’s manual on line so you can easily find out about its memory capabilities.

It has been covered many times that the FBQ2496’s electronics are of better quality (and produce less distortion) than the DSP1124p. Is this still the case for the FBQ1000?
”Quality electronics” are not an issue if you’re using the equalizer for subwoofer duties. While the BFD’s merits for full-range use is questionable, primarily due to noise issues, none of this is a concern with subwoofers because less-than-pristine electronics or noise will be audible with a sub.

Personally, I’m not fond of the 2496 because it has extremely limited bandwidth settings available. For instance, between 1/6-octave and 1/2-octave bandwidths – virtually all filters will be set in this bandwidth range – the 2496 only has five settings available. The BFD, and presumably the FBQ1000, has at least 10 bandwidth settings in this range - twice as many. Being able to set a filter to precise bandwidths needed to combat a trough or peak is one of the major things that makes a parametric EQ such an awesome device. Obviously, if the equalizer forces you to comprise with a filter that’s too wide or too narrow for what’s really needed, its usefulness is diminished.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
263 Posts
The FBQ1000 seems very cheap (88 euro in the Netherlands) and a good option for my subwoofer eq. But here s a stupid newbie question. How does a Behringer FBQ1000 connect between my AVR and subwoofer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
THX-UltraII said:
But which cable goes where? :dunno:
It is added in line between the sub out of the avr and the input on the sub itself. It takes the signal from the avr that would normally be sent direct to the sub, it processes it, and feeds the processed signal on to the sub.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wayne,
Thanks for the helpful reply. I did not realize the FBQ2496 had a limited filter bandwidth compared to the DSP1124 and the FBQ1000. I will definitely factor that into my decision.

I'm disappointed that no one has any information on using the FBQ1000 around here. I guess I could be the guinea pig and give it a try. I'm sure John can get the MIDI interface working if there is something different with it. I’ll just send it to him if he needs it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It is added in line between the sub out of the avr and the input on the sub itself. It takes the signal from the avr that would normally be sent direct to the sub, it processes it, and feeds the processed signal on to the sub.
Ok, that makes sense. So I can but this one? http://www.bax-shop.nl/jack-rca/procab-cab631-2x-jack-male-2x-rca-3.00-meter/product-details.html#!prettyPhoto
And I just tear the cable in two and only use one of the two (white or red) cables right?

@loc4me: check out this thread about the FBQ1000 http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers-tactile-transducers/1621519-behringer-fbq1000.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks good, you will need to use both halves, one on the input and one on the output.
What do you mean with 'use both halves, one on the input and one on the output'?

Am I correct that the chain is:

pre-sub out on receiver (1x RCA) => 1/4" phone INPUT of Behringer (R or L, does not matter) => 1/4" phone OUTPUT of Behringer => RCA INPUT of subwoofer (R or L, does not matter).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Output on the bfd is also a 1/4 plug, hence if you split the pair, then you can use one in and one out, otherwise you understand correctly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just recieved the FBQ1000. I ll have to wait for my (calibrated) ECM8000 to arrive and after this I will begin with REW+TASCAM 122 MKII+ECM8000+FBQ1000 subwoofer calibration.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I received my FBQ1000 and connected it between my pre-subwoofer out of my receiver and my subwoofer itself. Before I will start making measurements I have to 'learn' the FBQ1000 a little bit of course. The first thing I would like to know is how to config the FBQ1000 in order to 'by-pass' all (as if he isn t there). Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
THX-UltraII said:
I received my FBQ1000 and connected it between my pre-subwoofer out of my receiver and my subwoofer itself. Before I will start making measurements I have to 'learn' the FBQ1000 a little bit of course. The first thing I would like to know is how to config the FBQ1000 in order to 'by-pass' all (as if he isn t there). Thanks.
The 1124 you push and hold the in/out button until it flashes.... the 1000 may be different though so I would look at the handbook if I were you. I have used the midi interface and it means that the learning curve is restricted to REW, no need to touch the unit at all, not sure if you can do this with the 1000?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The 1124 you push and hold the in/out button until it flashes.... the 1000 may be different though so I would look at the handbook if I were you.
The handbooks information is very brief and does not contain much information at all. I just checked and the in/out button has a light on, off and flash option (flash is longpress just like you said). Does this means that flasing means 'there is no FBQ1000'?

I have used the midi interface and it means that the learning curve is restricted to REW, no need to touch the unit at all, not sure if you can do this with the 1000?
The 1000 seems the same as the 1124. What is 'the midi interface'? (sorry but I m a noob)

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts

With a brief push of the bypass button, the LED meters show output signal level, which includes gain changes brought by any filters employed. Push and hold the button and the meters show the input level. Either way, all filters are bypassed with the button is pushed.

With a MIDI interface device, REW can program the equalizer's filters automatically.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great to see another user with the FBQ1000 but I was hoping you would be using the MIDI interface to program the filters. This is one of my concerns. Hopefully it works just like the DSP1124.

There are USB to MIDI cables out there that let your computer communicate with the FBQ1000. John has added the ability for REW to set certain settings in external EQs through the MIDI interface. Pretty slick.

·
Registered
263 Posts
With a brief push of the bypass button, the LED meters show output signal level, which includes gain changes brought by any filters employed. Push and hold the button and the meters show the input level. Either way, all filters are bypassed with the button is pushed.
I don t have a button on the FBQ1000 that says 'bypass'.

With a MIDI interface device, REW can program the equalizer's filters automatically.
But is it the same as config the FBQ1000 directly with the FBQ1000 itself?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts