Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if it is worth doing this , I have klipsch floorstanders which can be Bi-amped.:T

Is there any noticable difference ? bi amp vs normal

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No, no difference at all unless you have a lot of exspencive equipment separate amps and EQs not worth the time or effort.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, no difference at all unless you have a lot of exspencive equipment separate amps and EQs not worth the time or effort.
Yeah I guess without monoblocks or a good amp , it wouldnt make a difference.
I have a onkyo 818 , If I decide to only run 5ch surround will it make a difference?

klipsch Icon might not be high end enough to tell a difference...either

I tried it and can only tell a difference in T-D , 3 ch. Perhaps it only helps in Stereo modes?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm gonna try it.
My Klipsch Icon towers might be way clearer Bi amped, but I cannot run 7ch with bi amp onkyo 818? I need a power amp ?
5.1 ch Bi amp sounds amazing in my small room , maybe better then 7ch. More Bass extension from towers. 7-9ch was way too loud.

I was almost considering new speakers, but realized my placement was wrong. Now it is perfect. Towers upside down, on top of two 40" wide tv stands; I need a projector for my bedroom.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
40" Sony bravia has perfect colors, but is obsolete vs new 4k Tvs. I
BI amping actually might be the best for my room. Clarity is way better in front speakers. 5.2 ch is really good.

I prob wont run 7ch until I get a power amp, lacks depth with too many speakers my Room is too small.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I was wondering if it is worth doing this , I have klipsch floorstanders which can be Bi-amped.:T
Is there any noticable difference ? bi amp vs normal
Do bi amped sound better?
Yeah I guess without monoblocks or a good amp , it wouldnt make a difference.
I have a onkyo 818 , If I decide to only run 5ch surround will it make a difference?
klipsch Icon might not be high end enough to tell a difference...either
I tried it and can only tell a difference in T-D , 3 ch. Perhaps it only helps in Stereo modes?
My Klipsch Icon towers might be way clearer Bi amped, but I cannot run 7ch with bi amp onkyo 818? I need a power amp ?
5.1 ch Bi amp sounds amazing in my small room , maybe better then 7ch. More Bass extension from towers. 7-9ch was way too loud.
I was almost considering new speakers, but realized my placement was wrong. Now it is perfect. Towers upside down, on top of two 40" wide tv stands; I need a projector for my bedroom.
40" Sony bravia has perfect colors, but is obsolete vs new 4k Tvs. I
BI amping actually might be the best for my room. Clarity is way better in front speakers. 5.2 ch is really good.
I prob wont run 7ch until I get a power amp, lacks depth with too many speakers my Room is too small.
Wow in 5 hours you have gone from the initial question about bi-amping to trying it for yourself, comparing it to 7 channel surround, to flipping your towers upside down and putting them on a TV stand.
I don't know what to make of this scenario but if you now have better clarity who am I to argue with your results.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts

Upside down:blink::huh:.....how high are your tweeters now (how close to the floor)? I can't argue if you say they sound better, it's ultimately all about your satisfaction, but I'd like to see pictures of this...just out of curiosity:whistling:!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
No.

Not a question of expensive equipment. The only important use of bi-amping is to (1) remove the passive crossovers built into the speakers, (2) design and build custom active crossovers for those speakers and, only then, (3) implement them in a bi- or tri-amped configuration.

OTOH, if you have extra amps/channels and can try bi-amping without additional investment, you might convince yourself of its value.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Wow in 5 hours you have gone from the initial question about bi-amping to trying it for yourself, comparing it to 7 channel surround, to flipping your towers upside down and putting them on a TV stand. I don't know what to make of this scenario but if you now have better clarity who am I to argue with your results.
^^^ +1. Bravissimo.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

·
1,669 Posts
As I said, that would depend on many variables, with no definitive yes/no answer.
I'm not going to retype the whole thing, so I'll link the answer, since you're indeed considering this with a MCH AVR. Please read it slowly and carefully.
No, you won't get "more bass" outside of your imagination.:) Something would to be terribly amiss for that to be physically manifested.

cheers,

·
1,669 Posts
Tony, this has nothing to do with expense and everything to do with specific load impedance, specific amplifier behavior vs load, level, program material and listener perception, etc.

cheers

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The story behind bi -amping speakers is that it some how takes some of the load off the amps where in reality if your exsperiencing clipping or distortion because of a load of a speaker you need a bigger amp. The High frequencies on a speaker draw less than 15watts even at ear bleeding levels, you have better options than bi-amping that will give much more noticeable results.

·
1,669 Posts
The story behind bi -amping speakers is that it some how takes some of the load off the amps
Not "some how", but physically. The single amp single load is split into dual amp, dual load, exactly as shown in my link.

where in reality if your exsperiencing clipping or distortion because of a load of a speaker you need a bigger amp.
Yes, that's one option, but a Red Herring to the question of biamping with an amp/speaker you already own, which is what the OP is asking, just like in my link. Actually, almost every time I've seen this question, its a similar scenario.

The High frequencies on a speaker draw less than 15watts even at ear bleeding levels

you have better options than bi-amping that will give much more noticeable results.
That's actually one of the reasons why biamping could be audible and yes, there are often better options...if that was ever the question being asked. In this case it appears kingnoob is asking whether he should biamp with an Onkyo 818 and Klipsch Icons...and whatever music/levels he listens at. IOW, quite a few unknowns for any sort of absolute answers.

cheers

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the Link! Clarity of voices sounds way better Bi-amped, I think.

Yeah My 15" sub handles all the bass anyways, I crossed over towers at 40hz instead of full range.
Should I keep it this way?Or try full range for towers?:hsd:

·
1,669 Posts
Thanks for the Link!
You're welcome. Hopefully you caught the part where it might make no audible difference whatsoever....

Clarity of voices sounds way better Bi-amped, I think.
Before it was bass and now "way" better voices? Hmmm....ok.:)

Yeah My 15" sub handles all the bass anyways, I crossed over towers at 40hz instead of full range.
Should I keep it this way?Or try full range for towers?:hsd:
You are far more likely to hear a difference...if one exists...running full range, as that would tax the bass amp most. However, for best sound practices, especially 2ch, 40hz XO is good.

cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts