Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the advancements in audio codecs, ie. Tru-HD, DTS-MA, and Atmos do we see a real benefit from these speaker types anymore? I have an unopened pair of Polk Audio FX/i's, and was wondering if they have a place in modern home theaters. With so much more advanced 3-D placement of sound from the engineers, do they benefit anymore?

Should I keep them for when I get a bigger place? Or just more bookshelves instead for the 7.1/Atmos setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
That's a good question, but unfortunately I don't know enough about Atmos to be able to answer. I do know that bi-pole speakers are also used to overcome seating position issues relative to speaker placement, so in that context they may still provide a benefit to some.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't bother with Atmos, save and get subs. Its essential in this day and age. Alternatively two 15 drivers are sufficient.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have never enjoyed them personally, but do understand that as Jman said, they do have their place. Also the pic from Dolby.com illustrates the lack of usefulness in immersive setups. I believe you almost answered your own question. Lol. Due to the accuracy of object based audio, bi/dipole speakers actually go against good playback. You might keep them for a bedroom, or den system or somewhere small where they could be useful. Personally however, I'd probably sell them to finance other purchases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts