Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I’m sorry, for some reason your photos I can’t see(Tapatalk). But I can say, respectfully to you, BIC subs are primarily entry level subs. And while I’m not excusing that yours didn’t last very long, you should understand they have to cut expenses somewhere.
I have of heard of people repairing drivers, but have no idea what it would cost to fix yours considering your location etc. I had thought since you bought it on eBay it was used. I’m definitely a fan of the used market, but ya never know. Is there somewhere local that can help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many thanks to "willis7469" and "theJman".
As I was again and again telling you, the bass response was not deteriorated, my mind was not ready to believe that the cone is gone.
Today I re-opened PL200, and started playing music with open driver, I checked where the hell is rattling coming from and surprisingly I found that.
It was the flexible copper leads below the cone. Both leads were dancing and colliding with each other and creating the rattle. On close inspection, I found that, one of the lead might be glued to the spider but it was detached from that location.
I tied the lead with cotton thread and boom, the problem's gone! Big Big problem solved by a simple tiny cotton thread.

In India, home theater building is really really very expensive and one like me, a common service man, can not bear replacement of Sub in so short duration. I have attached photos of cone and also the bad quality copper lugs & termination strip material used by BIC, you can check that every connection is rusted. If anybody is having BIC email id, please provide me, As an electrical engineer, I really want to inform them, this poor workmanship should be really avoided, these lugs, terminals and lead wires are not so expensive material.
Anyway could you tell me that which brand is the best with all 3 parameters (1) Bass Response, ouput quality etc (2) Workmanship, built up quality, material quality etc to have long lasting (3) Moderately expensive, my room area is 12 feet (W) X 15 feet (L) x 10 feet (H) and bass is the only thing that I love the most from music!
IMG_20200324_200958.jpg
IMG_20200324_220543.jpg
IMG_20200324_221511.jpg
IMG_20200324_221437.jpg

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Unless you're in a very damp environment that does seem like a lot of corrosion. Glad you found an easy (and free) fix though.

Anyway could you tell me that which brand is the best with all 3 parameters (1) Bass Response, ouput quality etc (2) Workmanship, built up quality, material quality etc to have long lasting (3) Moderately expensive, my room area is 12 feet (W) X 15 feet (L) x 10 feet (H) and bass is the only thing that I love the most from music.
Unfortunately there is no "best" brand of subwoofer. It all depends upon your personal preferences, budget and what's available in your area. If you can give us some idea of what other subwoofers you can buy we can give you an indication of which are good options to consider and which are not.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
So glad you figured it out!!! You got lucky, I’ve had to re-solder those back on before. Yuk...
Unfortunately, in the US there are almost a dozen brands that we commonly recommend as upgrade worthy, but I don’t know what you have available to you. Maybe list a few, and we could help point you in the right direction. If the BIC satisfies you, then maybe we should just leave this alone lol. The rabbit hole is deep!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unless you're in a very damp environment that does seem like a lot of corrosion. Glad you found an easy (and free) fix though.

Unfortunately there is no "best" brand of subwoofer. It all depends upon your personal preferences, budget and what's available in your area. If you can give us some idea of what other subwoofers you can buy we can give you an indication of which are good options to consider and which are not.
Hello,
I live in a dry area (Gujarat State), not damp environment, if so then My other old speakers too show the same symptoms of rusting.
Actually, I started building up home theater step by step. Very long back I own Sony Music System (DP1000D) , which was lacking bass due to aging, however both bookshelf speakers are still intact and working fine. (Audyssey setup still selected cutoff as 40Hz for this Sony bookshelf, while it selects almost 100-120Hz for TAGA floor standings)
Then I purchased Astonia DF-10 -down firing sub (Mumbai Based company) in 2012 , but that sub didn't satisfy my bass thrust.
Also It has a typical problem of clipping, when I go beyond certain volume, sub's red LED of clipping starts and then the sub starts creating some EMI in the supply line side, and hence Denon ARC signal starts dropping off

In 2015, finally I decided and go for Denon X1200W + TAGA Harmony TAV606F (5.1 package), but unfortunately the TAGA sub TSW-90 is also I felt underrated. (only 50W rms)

Ultimately I went for BIC PL-200 and Both earlier sub DF-10 & TSW-90 are lying idle in my room.

Today my complete 7.1 setup consists of Denon X1200W + TAGA Harmony TAV606F (2 Floor standing + Center + Surround Back) + Old Sony's Book Shelf speaker (make them surround one) + PL-200 as 0.1.

Few of my questions are:
(1) Although surrounded all walls of my room with Gypsum board sheets and backed up with fibreglass, also curtains are there, still I am getting some CLUTTER/ CLAPPING ECHOS, some easy and cheap tricks if you can suggest.
(2) I've noticed On some specific frequencies of subwoofer, I am still getting room resonance/ rattling, how to check on which-which frequency there is a problem in my room? Any software or something else to check on which frequency there is problem in room treatment?
(3) How to stop sound leakage from Door?
(4) How would you recommend SVS Brand subwoofer in terms of Performance as well as build up quality. Please note that I am only and only music lover.

Please note that I am DIY person and till date, I had not taken any help of profession on this side.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
(1) Although surrounded all walls of my room with Gypsum board sheets and backed up with fibreglass, also curtains are there, still I am getting some CLUTTER/ CLAPPING ECHOS, some easy and cheap tricks if you can suggest.

Do you have carpets? Is it possible the echo is coming from sound reflecting off the floor?

(2) I've noticed On some specific frequencies of subwoofer, I am still getting room resonance/ rattling, how to check on which-which frequency there is a problem in my room? Any software or something else to check on which frequency there is problem in room treatment?

Is it items in the room that are rattling are part of the room itself (like walls or doors)?

To test you could use software like REW and a UMIK microphone. It takes some practice to learn but it can help you see what the sound is doing in your room.

(4) How would you recommend SVS Brand subwoofer in terms of Performance as well as build up quality. Please note that I am only and only music lover.

SVS is a highly regarded brand that makes very good products.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts