Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make a tapped horn for garden parties and I wanted to see how much I could get with some cheap 15” drivers I had. I took the design ideas from this DIY TH.
tapped horn 2 driver.jpg

My Big Boy measures 203x61x64 with an internal volume of ca. 720 liter and throat to mouth about 380 cm.
As I said the driver is far from the best choice, to low BL and Xmax, but that is what I had on hand. The box is made from scrap wood found on the recycling center, so all it cost me is some screws and glue + time. I made the box so I can replace the drivers (with some better ones). Function over form all the way :)

Hornresp predicted this

15' TH [schlager] response sim.gif

I measured this

measure 1 meter from mouth.jpg

I also did a big brother with 4 X 15" volume around 1150 liter and weighting over 200 kg.

Here up and running, little brother sub and big brother sub together.
2 x Tapped Horn.jpg

Here is a measurement with the mains and subs. There is some phase problems because I use 48 db x over, but with smoothing it looks nice. For garden parties there is no such thing as too much bass, so I like the tilted response. It not hifi but it actually sounds very good, and lot's of bass pounding the chest. It really gives "the rumble in jungle", in my garden:D

25-200.jpg

Regards Sebastian

·
Registered
123 Posts
Those enclosures are HUGE! Nice!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts