Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's amazing the differences a sub crawl can make. I recently built a sonosub, and it sounded 'off' where it was, I left it for awhile, assuming I was just nuts. Today I went 'nuts' and rearranged my entire home theater to find out the best place to stick the monster... Here's what I found:

First location, beside my divide (wife wanted to hijack half the basement for a SEWING ROOM, hence the divider). Sub sounded off here...

Even worse here, behind the couch, next to the furnace room door... I'll pretend I never put it there...

And finally, HAPPY! I don't even think I need to eq this, the applied filters were pretty minor, so probably better to skip it, huh?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, not much an EQ can do to improve that. Conrats on being one in a million!

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks! I had my old sub there before by default, before I even know what sub crawl and REW was... I was wondering why my fancy new beast sounded worse in my new spot. The null at 60hz went down to visit the devil, and it sounded like it. This at least saves me from buying bass traps. If I had of known I had a 'sweet spot' I would have bought the NU6000 and saved over a hundred bucks rather than thinking I 'needed' the NU6000dsp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If things sound a bit “infrasonics” heavy you might want to reduce that 18 Hz peak, so you might end up using that DSP yet.

Great extension by the way, what sub are you using?

Regards,
Wayne
Unfortunately, the DSP only eq's down to 20Hz, so I don't think I can get rid of that hump :(
Unfortunately, Behringer likes Speakon connectors, so I can't use a crossover filter thingie to reduce the freq.

I am using a Mach 2 UXL-18, I was originally using an IXL-18 mk2, but it came with the magnet shifted :(
I was thinking about reconing it, but I have heard reconing has to be 100% accurate or it will sound like poop.

here's the build thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/81946-my-first-diy-sub-sonotube-build-ixl-18mk2.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts