Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Currently I have a Tempest in an EBS 210l ported enclosure with a redgum 250w plate amp.

Recently I EQed my setup using REW and a BFD. I now have what I consider a nice sounding sub, extending well below 20hz thanks to room gain. And all the SPL I need.

My question is, what would I be gaining by using something like a Tumult 15 with an EP1500 amp??

Cheers
Jamie

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You would gain a higher spl and lower extension. If the Tempest and 250 watt plate amp suits your needs, that's a good thing. But if you ever decide you want more, you can upgrade. I started with twin Shiva sonotubes, then twin Atlas 15's, and now I'm building twin Mach5Audio IXL-18.4's. Some of us always want more. It's an addiction.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Thats kinda what I thought. I think the Tempest is well regarded anyhow, so I could blow alot of cash for not much gain.

Maybe I'll just go and fine tune the curve a little more instead! :)

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Going back to the original question, you may also notice a decrease in distortion when moving to a driver like the Tumult from a Tempest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought that might also be the case, but I also wondered how much real world difference that would make. And considering the $1500 I would have to fork out for the upgrade, not including wood and time to build the box, its probably not going to be a big enough one. Tumults are big $$ over here in Australia. And unfortunately there are very few other choices in high performance large drivers. Unless I look to car audio.

If I could get a TC-xxxx for the price you guys in the US can get them for, I'd try one. Sadly shipping usually doubles the price.....

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
If I could get a TC-xxxx for the price you guys in the US can get them for, I'd try one. Sadly shipping usually doubles the price.....
Man, thats unfortunate...have you gotten a shipping quote directly from TC-sounds yet?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm, not even sure you can still get tumults??, at least here in Australia.

It would be interesting to get a shipping estimate from TC sounds.

I was seriously looking at the servo kits from rythmik, but Brian has recently let us know that the us postal service no longer does surface shipping, which really added to the cost (I was looking at two).

As I already had four peerless xls 10's laying around I've decided to do something with them, and if they do well then get another four for the stereo setup.

I would have thought there were alternatives to the postal service though, but maybe they only do air as well??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No haven't got a quote from TC, I didn't see the point as the don't seem to have ANY drivers in stock! But I did get a quote from CSS on their new 15" and it was $200USD to ship one. But I could get up to 14 via surface for $300. Maybe I should see if there are enough Ozzies interested...

Last I checked ( about a month ago) there were still a couple tumults left. $1150AU plus freight ~$50.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
****, thats a shame. I can't afford one. I wonder how the CSS driver will compare?? using the same xbl2 design, whater difference that makes....

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
On paper it has slightly less Xmax (linear excursion) but due to what, in my opinion, appears to be a better basket design, there is more mechanical excursion headroom. The tumults and their basket had an Xmech of about 36mm (was told this directly from dan wiggins), while the neq Css drivers have around 40mm of Xmech. The more Xmech the better, with the way we abuse our drivers :bigsmile:

It appears to be a Tumult at a much lower price with slightly less linear throw but more mechanical excursion headroom with similar inductance.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wilson, the shipping for the css was $200 us, or 14 for $300 (hhmmm, which one, which one!) but what was the cost of the driver itself??

With those sort of numbers to buy they might have to be used in IB, though I have no idea id they are suitable for that application.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it makes more sense to get numerous drivers, at least from a shipping cost perspective. The drivers are $235ea not including any shipping. I believe that the $270 price on CSS's website includes shipping within US/Canada.

Cost comes to about $4400AUD plus tax/duties. Don't think I will be going that route. :bigsmile: Not unless I find 13 other people interested in buying one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts