Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found that component Video inputs the limiting factor in choosing a new receiver. If you have old components with HDMI and are limited to component video, then it doesn't take very many to make most receivers not applicable for your situation. Most of the non-flagship receivers have 3 to 4 component video inputs. I found this to be the largest single constraint when I was looking for a new receiver and I had some extensive multi-zone requirements. Just curious what everyone else has seen.

HDDVD - HDMI/Component for 2nd zone
(2) DVD Changers - Component only
Cable Box - HDMI/Component for 2nd zone (never used HDMI, I don't know if works)
Xbox 360 - HDMI/Component for 2nd zone
PS3 - HDMI/Component for 2nd zone
HTPC - Component

I settled on a used Denon 5805MkII.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I found that component Video inputs the limiting factor in choosing a new receiver. If you have old components with HDMI and are limited to component video, then it doesn't take very many to make most receivers not applicable for your situation. Most of the non-flagship receivers have 3 to 4 component video inputs. ...
Do you mean: " old components without HDMI and are limited to component video" :yes:

If that's the case, and your old equipment just have the component video option but no HDMI I think is no problem; some newer receivers have the ability to upconvert the component signal to output from HDMI (at least is what I recall reading on my Yamha RXV-2700 :bigsmile:

In my case, if my equipment doesn't have HDMI output is okay; usually I always connect video directly to TV using composite, S video, component or HDMI and the TV does the upconversion :yes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the problem is that he wants to send stuff to the second zone over component. I don't think any receivers downconvert HDMI to component. Therefore he has to start out with component inputs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct, I need component for my 2nd zone. Not many receivers have more then 3 or 4 component inputs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You could add a component video switch. Monoprice sells a 4 way switch for $26.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts