Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question I imagine, but is there much, if any, difference in the myriad of binding posts available for purchase?

I am doing a subwoofer with 3/4 BBirch. I was going to use neutrik but am thinking of keeping it simple and use a quality binding post sans binding post plate. It seems you can get them from a couple bucks all the way up to $100.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Stay away from the plasic ones - you can't do them up very tight. Go for the metal ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
G'day ,Collo is correct,the more "metal" the more mechanicly and electrically solid the connection.However,good commercial connecters are very expensive,you often spend more for marketing than materials.Not to say that there are not good products out there.However,I find copper beats brass,hands down,and no connecter beats any connecter.To explain,my mains are soldered directly to the crossovers.My upcoming sub project will use custom solid copper binding posts that Iwill machine in my brothers workshop..Hope this helps......Mike.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
So does someone have a suggestion for some reasonably priced, sturdy, decent quality binding posts? I don't build a lot, so I am not familiar with the current offerings, but it would be good to know. I can also put any vendors in the parts distributor thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-repair-maintenance/4396-parts-distributors.html

I have lots of repair parts vendors but not a lot that carry much DIY speaker stuff, other than PE & MCM. It would be nice to know who the DIYers are using and break those vendors out in a separate post from the repair parts vendors. Some would overlap, like MCM, of course, but it would be easier to find what you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts