Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never knew Craig to be anything but a stand up guy! Companies come and go, but he stands behind his designs.

Now, what might be this new place when stuff that was deleted :dontknow:, mangled :eek:, and rewritten :unbelievable: seems to have happen elsewhere? It's like one can't keep the truth from history. I loved those days at TCA and CHT where it was always good times even with those that had different views.

Glock, got your MQ-600 replaced yet? Between tripping breakers, smoking speakers and amps, and verging on blowing out your eardrums, you are one dude on the edge of extreme! Love it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi sbdman!,
I have not received my replacement amp yet but Craig recently texted me that it is on it's way.

You are correct, Craig is a stand up guy! I have personally talked to him for extended periods
of time on several occasions. We not only talked about A/V but also about a variety of other subjects
including firearms (my area of expertise). As I mentioned before, I wish he lived closer so we could
just hang out one evening. He has a standing invitation to come over to the house any time he happens
to be in the Nashville area. (I'll supply the steaks and even some ear plugs!)
I'm not surprised that he now replaces damaged drivers that are damaged through no
fault of his own. Amazing.

To be honest, there are times I wonder what Craig's vented subs would sound like in my room. My three
previous subs were in your face loud. These sealed subs have a much different sound.
Much more "accurate" for lack of a better description. You are watching a movie thinking everything sounds great
but not overwhelmed with the bass (like you would think with eight 18" woofers working), then all of the sudden a
gun blast or a plane flies over and it hits you like a baseball bat! Wow!
Living in/near Nashville I have many friends that are in the music industry. Many have been to parties at my house.
Some you may recognize their names and are relatively famous but all know music very well.
In fact, just a couple of weeks ago a couple of very experienced "sound guys" were here and we had a great time.
All are/were impressed with the bass and overall sound of my system.
"Wow" or "Incredible" are the terms most often used. When I crank it up so loud that when you try to talk loudly and
cannot hear your own voice but can feel your vocal chords vibrating and yet the sound is still so clean and crisp.
They typically just shake their head and start laughing.

These are some impressive subs Especially when you consider the price. Again, Amazing.

Blessings Everyone,
Brian

P.S. sbdman, you are also welcome to come by and hang out if you are ever in town...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Brian - I will be checking with Graham on Monday to make sure he remembered (finally) to ship you an amp.

And our upstairs theater is about to get a quad pack of SBE-118's. I had the larger vented prototypes which we sold in December, and for 2 months, I have been using a pair of Outlaw LFM1-EX in the upstairs room. They are great subs, but it's time to get back to the 18's ... :hsd:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Craig,

Still selling the MQ-600? I am going to need a new amp soon when I complete my SI18 build. Not sure which amp to go with,so many options, so little money! MQ-600's have great specs for the price. I'm also considering crown xli3500 which is a lot more money and the Behringer EP4000 which is cheaper but less power. I think the MQ is perfect combo of price and power, only X factor I'm seeing is the lack of history on it, but you have some experience and still recommend them and I trust ya Craig! Only other question is who would handle warranty repairs/returns if necessary.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
ronno1973 ... I have never heard a better amp than the MQ-600, especially for high powered subwoofer use. To give you an idea, we recently ran 4 of our SBE-118's from one channel, and it was killer.

It's built like Crown amps were in the 90's ... 51 pounds of pure AB bliss.

For warranty repairs, the one year is still in effect, and our OEM has committed to this. We have delivered 122 amps so far, with 3 failures, all when the amps first arrived. We just swapped the amp for a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Craig, Still selling the MQ-600? I am going to need a new amp soon when I complete my SI18 build. Not sure which amp to go with,so many options, so little money! MQ-600's have great specs for the price. I'm also considering crown xli3500 which is a lot more money and the Behringer EP4000 which is cheaper but less power. I think the MQ is perfect combo of price and power, only X factor I'm seeing is the lack of history on it, but you have some experience and still recommend them and I trust ya Craig! Only other question is who would handle warranty repairs/returns if necessary. Thanks,
I've got the EP4000 running two 18's in one area and in another area have the MQ-600 powering 4 18's, no contest at all power wise, the MQ is in a different class.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I unboxed a pair of the M1s yesterday. My initial impression is that the build quality is excellent for a sub-$200 speaker. Quality materials and consistent finish and texture. The drivers look nice, and the weave on the woofers give them a high end appearance. The grills and cabinets feel nice and study, and fit together snugly.

I neglected to plan ahead for wall-mounting hardware, so I haven't installed any of them yet. I will say that based on my requirements (see first post) these are perfectly sized for my application. Flush mounted on the wall they will not protrude past the front of my acoustic panels as my current speakers do, which is exactly what I needed.

I'm looking forward to getting a pair hooked up and seeing what they can do. I have some Fluance speakers on hand as well as the Def Techs and Paradigms I already own. I will probably still pick up a pair of the BICs for comparison, as they are similar in dimensions and price, but with horn tweeters. I also have a decent variety of receivers and amps laying around. Plenty of opportunity to put these to the test. I'll be looking for clarity and dynamics from these. Bass response is not critical as they're designed to be crossed to a sub below 80Hz.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I'm excited to hear your review. I have been enjoying these speakers for several weeks now and am very pleased with them - especially when you figure in the cost! One of the best deals around (imo)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hey Craig, I have a friend (Robert) interested in a pair of the M1's for a 2 channel system that he is putting together for his son. Hope you still have some. I gave him your contact info @ work today. He is going to read about them tonight. These are a steal, hoping he gives you a call.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Tonto .. Thank you for the recommendation. I am on a golf trip this week, and back in the office on Monday the 13th. I will make sure to check for a call from your friend. Please let him know he is not being ignored if he already called. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I just HAD to post a followup. I watched scenes from both Terminator Salvation and Pacific Rim
on my OPPO last night with my daughter.
I'm having a party tomorrow for 25 people and wanted to have a couple of LFE scenes that show what these 8 sealed 18" woofers can do. There is a bomb scene with machine gun fire and helicopters in one of the early scenes of TS. It Was Incredible! The subs kind of fade into the background until a scene like this and then they "explode" onto the scene. It is Startling and Enjoyable at the same time.
At times both of my MQ-600's had all of their green lights lit up but I never saw any red. My new subs have less than 30 hours on them so not quite "broken in" but I'm still Very Impressed. I cannot wait for tomorrow.
One reviewer called the SBE-118 an "iron fist in a velvet glove". What a great description.
Sorry for such a generic post but just wanted to share.
Blessings Everyone,
Brian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Always get a kick when a fellow owner enjoys Craig's subs!

I've always enjoyed War of the Worlds (not the BD one, the DTS DVD) with it's pod emergence scene. Sounds like the house is falling apart, and I keep looking at the ceiling to see if plaster is falling. Another Tom Cruz one that's good for bass is Edge of Tomorrow.

Olympus Has Fallen has the amazing Washington Monument cracking scene that really perks you up.

Battle: Los Angeles is packed with lots of explosions and gun fire - a fun one to watch.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army(BD) is a lot of fun, too.

When I was at Craig's GTG, he demoed Open Range (amazing gun shots - Book of Eli is similar), Star Trek, Iron Man (forget which one) that I can remember. But that was showcasing the Theater-10.

Hope you have or can find one of these before tonight - they will definitely make an impact on your friends!

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Glock3540 ... Thanks for the update. As I type this, a few more updates. There are 48 of our SBE-118's remaining, and 98 of the MQ-600 amps.

The package of four SBE-118's and one MQ-600 amp will deliver over 114 dB in SPL at 20 Hz, 2 meters, outdoors. This is not a short term burst, either. This is on a long term sweep. There is a reason Glock loves his subwoofer package.

I know of no other sealed subwoofer system as a complete package that can do this for $2050 plus shipping.

I am also working out a deal with a couple of gents to take over the Chase Home Theater subwoofer line - more on this later. I would like to see this American made, modular approach to continue, where we can, as hobbyists, purchase passive subs at a reasonable price and add to our systems without having to sell off our old subs.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
For those who are interested, here is a compilation of Sine Wave Sweeps done on a single SBE-118.

For Duals, add 6 dB.

For Quads, add 12 dB

81 - 100 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.