Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting close to having lighter versions of Black Widow ready to be beta tested.

What we do that is a bit different than other places and other screen developers is we do the screen engineering and testing and refine the process and work out any problems. Then we have actual users beta test it before publishing it as a finished screen option.

Don't misunderstand, we still do performance testing with screen images too, by having people beta test with full size screens and their setup it provides us with feedback from actual users and a variety of settings and projector types. We then take this feedback and correct anything if necessary. Typically once we get to the beta testing stage it doesn't need any changes made but we always want to confirm that with actual users.

Often DIY developers can become biased and even placebo themselves into thinking their application is 'the best' and sometimes it hasn't really been tested or even gotten any feedback from actual users. We like to make sure, so we have a few people do some testing and provide us with feedback before we make the final formula public.

If anyone is interested let us know. We should have BWN8 and BWN8.5 ready very soon and BWN9 is being worked on.

Keep in mind that the nature of these screens is that they perform lighter than their Munsell rating denotes, typically around a half step (Depending on the shade and amount of aluminum used) lighter. So Black Widow N8 (BWN8) would have the black levels of an N8 shade of gray, but the brightness and whites of an N8.5 shade of gray (or thereabout).

When in doubt, ask and we'll help make a recommendation of what shade bests suits your particular setup and projector.

We do ask though that beta testers are ready to test as soon as possible and that they provide timely feedback to us.

If interested, let us know.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What sort of timeframe are you looking at for completing the screen and providing feedback? Week, 2 weeks, month? (The sooner the better obviously.) I'd like to try the N8.5, I believe. I really want to get better black levels than I'm getting with my BOC. Some ambient rejection would be great, too. I don't anticipate having any time to spare to buy, learn how to use a sprayer, and paint a screen with it in the next 2 weeks, though, so I'd be probably at least 3 weeks from commenting on results.

I'll raise my hand, if you want a total PJ and painting newb, and don't mind waiting a bit for results.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The final tweaks and tests are being done on the base now but they should be ready soon.

As far as feedback, we would like that relatively soon incase there are any adjustments that need to be made can be done in a timely manner.

I talked to the guys about another screen giveaway contest and everyone is on board with that. We gave away a DIY Theatre screen kit awhile back, this time we'll be doing a Black Widow kit. If you won't be doing your screen right away, you might be interested in that when it's announced! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm willing to get in line behind tenzip. I bought the materials for BW but went with C&S. I'll need a little time to get actual screen materials together and sneak assembly past my WAF. What level of feedback are you anticipating?

P

·
0 Posts
If you still need some testers, I'm interested. I just mixed up some BW and painted a test sample. I like the blacks of the bw but I think I would be happier with something about halfway between bw and kiltz 2.

I'm fairly new to the DIY screen scene. I had a WA FG laminate screen at my other place, but decided to try a painted screen when I moved last month.

I have a Sharp XR-10X-L projector and my screen is a 108" skimmed and painted drywall. The walls and ceiling are painted a very light beige (a little darker than off white) and I have a sliding glass door with vertical blinds next to the screen (90 degrees and about 2 ft to the left of the screen). I normally use the projector at night to watch movies, however I do have some ambient lighting from the light bouncing off the walls and ceiling. Kiltz 2 is too white for the room and I feel that the bw might be just a little dark for my personal taste, so something a little lighter would be great.

As a side note, thanks for all the work you guys have done, not only on the paints, but the laminates, boc, etc. :clap:

·
Registered
7 Posts
How is this going? I think that an N8 - N8.5 BW would be perfect for my setup. I'm tempted to just do a 4:1:1: Bermuda Beige, AAA, UPW and see what happens.

-Jim

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
It has been a long time....

But I think we may have gotten there. There has been no testing done on it whatsoever yet so it is still preliminary but it looks like a winner. In one of these photos you can actually see the sparklies from the aluminum!

Golden N8 is Golden's artist Acrylic N8 which measured like this:

And my sample looked to be a tad bit lighter than N8 by my eye - which we won't trust! ;)

Spectro readings tomorrow.

:dancebanana:

Harp is gonna be mad at me for spilling the beans... :hide: Too bad! It was mostly his work that got me here! :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Harp is gonna be mad at me for spilling the beans... :hide: Too bad! It was mostly his work that got me here! :T
Naa, not mad a bit; but you haven't even told us developers about this find and you are already looking for beta-testers? Jumpin' the gun a bit there aren't ya pard? :bigsmile:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Day two and it's curing out to pretty much perfect neutral. :bigsmile:

Look at the L*a*b* values! I'm rolling a panel of it tonight for pics later this week.

I think we should be able to have other options as well. Pretty much any Neutral from N7.5 up to Cream and Sugar (N9). :T

·
Registered
100 Posts
No prob, Mech.

Good luck with the new mix. If you guys don't mind me asking. What's the goal of BW Light? I'm still dazzled with my Henry BW and really wonder what could be improved on it. For my tastes....it's a perfect 10.

Is the new BW creation for PJ's with less lumens to throw at it? Once the tourney is over and I reclaim my room. I am gonna get that MDF board cut and spray on another Widow.

I might be up for guinea duty to help your cause if you guys think it's a good match with the Panny AX200U.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
No prob, Mech.

Good luck with the new mix. If you guys don't mind me asking. What's the goal of BW Light? I'm still dazzled with my Henry BW and really wonder what could be improved on it. For my tastes....it's a perfect 10.

Is the new BW creation for PJ's with less lumens to throw at it? Once the tourney is over and I reclaim my room. I am gonna get that MDF board cut and spray on another Widow.

I might be up for guinea duty to help your cause if you guys think it's a good match with the Panny AX200U.
The AAA-fine has only yielded a N7.5 neutral gray and Cream & Sugar is N9. We needed something in between to cater to the middle of the road folks. :T

1 - 20 of 102 Posts