Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 1474 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Guys, this link is going strong and just wanted to add some more photos to the mix. Here are a few more from my Infocus SP-7210/DIY Black Widow mix (100"). Parkland Polywall is the substrate. I watch too much TV with this thing!!! :)

CSI Miami 720p OnDemand

HD Gallery - The Vatican

Mech, the sample is drying and will be out this week.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can't believe it! Over the course of a year and half. I swore to myself. NO PAINT!!! Then on friday. I noticed Mech in this thread and checked it out. Now bear in mind that Mech was all over the laminate threads and seeing him here piqued my interest. So I've spent all weekend reading about Black Widow and ta-da.

I am painting.

Back to square one. Thanks Mech.

Kidding aside. Black Widow looks to be the shiznit. Luckily I live in the middle of KC, Lawrence and Leavenworth with Lowes, HD's, Sherwin Williams, and PP's all around. So I'm gonna go with the Winter Mist/Henry558. Tomorrow I'll do the shopping after work and grab a gallon of both (oops...can't forget the Kilnz).

So I'm down to this. What to paint it on?!?!? I know the wall should be first choice. But I did the basement myself and lets just say my sheetrocking abilities umm...suck. I have a seam that isn't the straightest in the world. So I need to come up with a board. Any suggestions?

As for screen size. I ordered the Panny AX200 and it should be here around the 5th. The only stipulation my wife gave me was screen size. She's worried her heads gonna ping-pong back in forth watching movies. So when the Panny arrives. I'm going to throw up a picture and go with the dimensions she'll be comfortable with. We'll be sitting about 14 ft from the screen. So I'm kinda guessing it'll be anywhere from 86-106 inch.

Guys....great work and Mech about that Platinum. Sorry. Black Widow was just to tempting to pass up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't believe it! Over the course of a year and half. I swore to myself. NO PAINT!!! Then on friday. I noticed Mech in this thread and checked it out. Now bear in mind that Mech was all over the laminate threads and seeing him here piqued my interest. So I've spent all weekend reading about Black Widow and ta-da.

I am painting.

Back to square one. Thanks Mech.

Kidding aside. Black Widow looks to be the shiznit. Luckily I live in the middle of KC, Lawrence and Leavenworth with Lowes, HD's, Sherwin Williams, and PP's all around. So I'm gonna go with the Winter Mist/Henry558. Tomorrow I'll do the shopping after work and grab a gallon of both (oops...can't forget the Kilnz).

So I'm down to this. What to paint it on?!?!? I know the wall should be first choice. But I did the basement myself and lets just say my sheetrocking abilities umm...suck. I have a seam that isn't the straightest in the world. So I need to come up with a board. Any suggestions?

As for screen size. I ordered the Panny AX200 and it should be here around the 5th. The only stipulation my wife gave me was screen size. She's worried her heads gonna ping-pong back in forth watching movies. So when the Panny arrives. I'm going to throw up a picture and go with the dimensions she'll be comfortable with. We'll be sitting about 14 ft from the screen. So I'm kinda guessing it'll be anywhere from 86-106 inch.

Guys....great work and Mech about that Platinum. Sorry. Black Widow was just to tempting to pass up.
You're correct, Black Widow is the bomb :yay: Enjoying every minute of PJ viewing.

I'm painted on a Parkland Polywall 4x8 sheet and have no issues. I'm not sure if you can get Doable board from HD in KC. It's not sold here on the east coast. Here's a link to get the Parkland. Your local DoItBest store should be able to order it for you. It rolls up nicely. Easy to transport.

There are a ton of other options as well, just wanted to throw my $.02 out there.

Link to Polywall:

http://doitbest.com/Corrugated+walls-Parkland+Group-model-PTC0043M-doitbest-sku-118702.dib

Link to local Do It Best Stores:

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID=51&transaction=search&radius=20&search2=1&postalCode=64106

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Guys, this link is going strong and just wanted to add some more photos to the mix. Here are a few more from my Infocus SP-7210/DIY Black Widow mix (100"). Parkland Polywall is the substrate. I watch too much TV with this thing!!! :)

Mech, the sample is drying and will be out this week.

Enjoy!!
nice screenies Bidz!

You know, when is hollywood and every other company who produces shows or movie realize there is no need for edge enhancement!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
nice screenies Bidz!

You know, when is hollywood and every other company who produces shows or movie realize there is no need for edge enhancement!!
Thanks Tman, I'll keep them coming if everyone is interested. I want to take some more when I have my recessed cans on.

I hate when they don't adhere to the broadcast standard. The little amount of HD channels that are available now is a joke. Although comcast has added a few more. "Animal Planet HD", can't we do better than that? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Tman, I'll keep them coming if everyone is interested. I want to take some more when I have my recessed cans on.

I hate when they don't adhere to the broadcast standard. The little amount of HD channels that are available now is a joke. Although comcast has added a few more. "Animal Planet HD", can't we do better than that? :scratchhead:
Actually I have DirecTV with a boatload of HD channels so I cant complain :devil:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes I'm definitely interested in seeing some more shots..
Would it be possible to see some screenies of popular films like Star Wars or POTC or something along those lines?
My only HD sources are the Xbox 360 and my cable box. I have Star Wars III DVR'd on the box upstairs which I can bring down to get some shots. I'll see if there is anything else on HBO-HD to record and test with.

Maybe I'll be able to get to this tomorrow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice!

I call Lowes. No HE558. Call a Home Depot. Yes they say. Get there after work and it's the 505. Then I get home and get out the Yellow Pages to call the other usual suspects. No go.

Soooooo......THANKS TO WHOEVER POSTED THE LINK!! I'll hit that after I finish my rant.

Hey real quick. After talking to nothing but teens it seems like at the Ace True Values. Should I try having Lowes or Sherwin Williams make up the Winter Mist? I'd really like to stay with the proven track winner. But my faith in the Ace chain got rattled a bit tonight. Maybe the Pro's just leave at 5:00 and let inmates run asylum afterward.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Nice!

I call Lowes. No HE558. Call a Home Depot. Yes they say. Get there after work and it's the 505. Then I get home and get out the Yellow Pages to call the other usual suspects. No go.

Soooooo......THANKS TO WHOEVER POSTED THE LINK!! I'll hit that after I finish my rant.

Hey real quick. After talking to nothing but teens it seems like at the Ace True Values. Should I try having Lowes or Sherwin Williams make up the Winter Mist? I'd really like to stay with the proven track winner. But my faith in the Ace chain got rattled a bit tonight. Maybe the Pro's just leave at 5:00 and let inmates run asylum afterward.
If you're making the HE558 mix stick with Winter Mist. Lowe's can do it. I never asked my Sherwin Williams if they could...

mech

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, I was and you already provided the answer.

"Note on Winter Mist, get Lowes to use their Matchrite software to look it up and have them make it. They have a computerized system that more accurately matches the intended color value from the company fandeck."

I remember Valspar somewhere in there as well. Just so I don't look stupid at Lowes. Winter Mist is a flat latex correct? Is there anything else I should tell them to help make the Winter Mist?

Thanks for the patience. I'm hoping to start buiding my screen thurs. Plan is a coat of Kilnz thurs and friday. And go Widow on Saturday. Wife said ok to whatever screen size I want. So it will depend on whatever substrate works out for me. I'll find something at Lowes tomorrow and hopefully the board won't be to heavy.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I remember Valspar somewhere in there as well. Just so I don't look stupid at Lowes. Winter Mist is a flat latex correct? Is there anything else I should tell them to help make the Winter Mist?
Get it in the flat enamel! :T

mech

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice!

After talking to nothing but teens it seems like at the Ace True Values.
Is there such a thing? Around here we have True Value and then theres Ace hardware.....similar stores but are different.....of course TV has TV on their paint and Ace has Ace on their paint.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Is there such a thing? Around here we have True Value and then theres Ace hardware.....similar stores but are different.....of course TV has TV on their paint and Ace has Ace on their paint.
I think they were just being lumped together out of frustration since those stores seemed to be run by teens in his area.

I don't trust the folk that run my local True Value much, but my Ace hardware is family-run and the people have a lot of experience and know what they are doing, at least for all the stuff I've needed from them. I'm sure YMMV.

BTW, Ace manufactures their own house paint and it's pretty good stuff, though not the best out there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My bad. Yeah we have True Value and ACE Hardwares and they are different. As usual I was thinking my sentences faster than I can type them.

Well, Black Widow is spreading like wildfire. My boss wants to try it out (after he see's how mine turns out) And if his comes out. He thinks his neighbor is going to keep up with the Jones. I ordered my Henry so I'm hoping it gets here by saturday. Tomorrow I am walking out of Lowes with a board of some sort, 2 quarts of Winter Mist, and a gallon of Kilnz.

I guess I better do some calculations on throw distance for screen sizes. It looks like I'll be going somewhere between 92-96 inches horizontal. So I better make sure my board can handle the vertical lenght. Glad the Panny has good placement to it so even I can't screw it up to much.

The fun is beginning!!!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
AA is easier and less expensive to get.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any 4x8 substrate should get you that size. I have a 96" and it's a good size. If the room was bigger, I'd go 120". Then the kids wouldn't have their play room :joke:

181 - 200 of 1474 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.