Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 1474 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: Black Widow PFG

It would be interesting to make up some PFG with the Auto Air Aluminum (AAA:bigsmile:) product. I still have some left over. Although, I would have to use the Behr 4850 white paint as the base. This paint is awesome guys. I think it would be as good if not better than the other white paints you have tried. The good thing about using the AAA is it does help with spraying as it was designed to be sprayed. Just a thought, Or is that 2 thoughts?
Ben like mech said we're actively looking at this right now, and thanks for passing it along!

I called the company and this is basically the same as what I originally was using but mine ended up discontinued... which was aluminum, a binding material, and water. That's it.

I called Createx today and they said yup, that's all that's in the Auto-Air Aluminum.

Like you said, this is designed to be sprayed so a couple things right off the bat:
  • No need to strain it prior to being used.
  • Definitely sprayable
  • Will probably be able to be sprayed with a Preval Sprayer too for those that want to go that route
  • For those that want to roll, it will act as a natural thinner to latex paint and help it go down very smooth.
I do want to say before anyone runs out and buys this, we need to test it and find a base white that is more in like with our specs. We only did basic testing with the original because why waste time on something that was discontinued? We could have worked a base out but why? (In hind sight, if we had then this would be a simple substitute is all... but as they say hindsight is 20/20 right?)

So right now we know HE558 works, and we'll get an easier method out shortly but it will be the same method and performance, it won't be a total redesign or complicated method.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

I do want to say before anyone runs out and buys this, we need to test it and find a base white that is more in like with our specs. We only did basic testing with the original because why waste time on something that was discontinued? We could have worked a base out but why? (In hind sight, if we had then this would be a simple substitute is all... but as they say hindsight is 20/20 right?)
And I'd like to add that the original aluminum paint pushed blue (I hate saying that but for lack of better terminology) with what we've mixed it with. That includes some of the blue deficient whites we've tried. So this may take us, and my pocketbook :spend:, a while to figure out! :T :scratch: :nerd: :coocoo:

mech

·
Registered
58 Posts

I'm trying to see what's the recommended application to try this on? Plywood? Polywall? Wilsonart?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Like you said, this is designed to be sprayed so a couple things right off the bat:
  • No need to strain it prior to being used.
  • Definitely sprayable
  • Will probably be able to be sprayed with a Preval Sprayer too for those that want to go that route
  • For those that want to roll, it will act as a natural thinner to latex paint and help it go down very smooth.
All good points. But, you need to be careful rolling this product. It does create bubbles when used in higher AAA:paint ratio. Using it 3:1 may not be issue. I'm just passing along my experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

I've rolled from 3:1 all the way to 6:1, even using the dreaded foam rollers and it's not that bad. Just go slow and take a little care and it's a breeze.

C

·
0 Posts

Hey guys, awesome job on everything that you guys come up with to make the best screen possible. I'm in the same vote as some others here in that the Henry 558 is unavailable in my area. I'm not sure how it works for buying the stuff online and shipping up here to Canada. I'm still a few weeks away from deciding what I want to do for the screen. I will keep up to date on this thread to get updates and if anything easier to get becomes available. Thanks again for the hard work guys.

Once I get the walls up and mudded I plan on putting on some coats of Kilz2 primer and setting up the projector. I will watch a week or two with just the primer on to get idea on final screen size that I want, then final option for screen paint.

·
Registered
69 Posts

OK. Just mixed up a 7:1 ratio (60 mL:10 mL) Behr 4850 to AA Fine Aluminum. Rolled it on a flat white base test panel. It is still drying. Preliminary opinion....it's blue and it's dark. Well see when it's dry. But I'm already thinking it's not for me.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

OK. Just mixed up a 7:1 ratio (60 mL:10 mL) Behr 4850 to AA Fine Aluminum. Rolled it on a flat white base test panel. It is still drying. Preliminary opinion....it's blue and it's dark. Well see when it's dry. But I'm already thinking it's not for me.
Wow, makes a blue deficient white look blue! This sounds like a challenge!!! :bigsmile:

mech

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

Ben how big is your test panel?

Also what I found was by the time I got to a 6:1 ratio there wasn't enough aluminum for an even dispersion throughout the test panel. With my plain water based aluminum the sweet spot was 4:1 and 5:1 test panels.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Hi guys. My test panel is dry. And, all I can say is yuck. My test panel is 2' x 2' foamboard. I did get even dispersion with my mix. It's just off. The panel is now a violet, gray looking colour. It is really too dark for anything. When I was using my original CG screen, I had alot more AAA to white paint ratio. That provided the gain to bring back the pop in the colourrs. With the low AAA to paint ratio, it's just a dark gray screen. And yes, I am not adjusting my projector for this simply because my main screen is looking really good now and I don't want to mess with my settings. I'll take some pics later on this week.

R

·
0 Posts

Before they released what the materials was I bought some Aluminum paint and mixed up my own variation. It showed some promise so got my spectrophotometer and measured the L a b values and determined I had a blue push. Today I have changed my base to correct for this problem and hope for a near nuetral conclusion. I will gladly share my results if anybody cares.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

Before they released what the materials was I bought some Aluminum paint and mixed up my own variation. It showed some promise so got my spectrophotometer and measured the L a b values and determined I had a blue push. Today I have changed my base to correct for this problem and hope for a near nuetral conclusion. I will gladly share my results if anybody cares.
We're always interested! ;)

mech

T

·
0 Posts

My apologies for being ignorant in not understanding some terms, but I saw reference to DICE and Poker in relation to the PFG testing. What is Dice and Poker? Is it the same Henry 558? :scratch:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

My apologies for being ignorant in not understanding some terms, but I saw reference to DICE and Poker in relation to the PFG testing. What is Dice and Poker? Is it the same Henry 558? :scratch:
Dice is HE558. Poker was Black Jack.

mech

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts

Dice is HE558. Poker was Black Jack.

mech
"Black Jack is a brand name, they have a number of products. The particular Aluminum paint by black Jack that Wbassett used has been discontinued and all that is available is what is in individual stores inventory. That is why Henry 558 was substituted."

-Page 5,296 of subsection E; Vol. 375 - Encyclopedia Galactica

T

·
0 Posts

Got it. So if someone has better luck finding Black Jack (what type?, number?) locally, it would also work I assume or were tests not completed?

Nevertheless, in my area I doubt I will find even that :hissyfit:

61 - 80 of 1474 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.