Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 1474 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I tried to have SW match a pretty decent sized brick chip, and they came out with the most god awful match I've ever seen, soI took that sample card, and I grabbed a bunch of cards off the rack that looked closer, and went BACK to the site I was trying to match(building brick), and it was WAY different than what they had selected.....

I don't have alot of faith in them since then....

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I tried to have SW match a pretty decent sized brick chip, and they came out with the most god awful match I've ever seen, soI took that sample card, and I grabbed a bunch of cards off the rack that looked closer, and went BACK to the site I was trying to match(building brick), and it was WAY different than what they had selected.....

I don't have alot of faith in them since then....
OK, SW sucks at color matching fabrics and brick chips - got it. :) Does anyone know how they are at matching actual paint samples? I will say my confidence in them is shaken and about to fall. :surrender:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I have to admit, Lowe's is my store of choice these days. They're very knowledgeable there. I know someone who just became Paint Manager at a Home Depot (wife's cousin's husband). He just took all their courses and I asked a few simple questions and he couldn't answer them. I'm sure we all have experiences with certain stores. I know the fellas working at my Sherwin Williams weren't the brightest bulbs but they seemed like they knew how to work their spectro. :huh:

mech

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
My preference is Lowes too. They have a Matchrite which is made by Xrite... and they have the most complete color library of any place I checked.

My bet would have been on Sherwin Williams since they are a dedicated paint store, so that was a surprise. Benjamin Moore and PPG though should be more accurate than even Lowes at color matching.

Home Depot is only a couple notches about True Value when it comes to color matching in my opinion. Home Depot doesn't have a complete color library and a lot of the times the techs aren't paint techs and only know how to run the machine to match existing Behr or Glidden colors. That's not really a match as much as it is a close match to an existing color. They do have the ability to color match, I'm just saying YMMV as far as if the tech knows how to do it.

I personally like the option of being able to access a very large color library, but not everyone may have a Lowes around.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I thought there was some question about the compatibility of Lowe's Valspar bases with HE558. Something about them pushing blue if I remember right. Has this been proven true or false?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I thought there was some question about the compatibility of Lowe's Valspar bases with HE558. Something about them pushing blue if I remember right. Has this been proven true or false?
It was pure speculation on my part. That's why I picked up the Winter Mist there last week. To test this. Where was your Winter Mist from Harp? I know that it was more dead on neutral than my Winter Mist mix was.

I'll try and get my sample mixed up this week and tested. I do need help remembering the things I promise! ;) It seems like just when I get my head above water a big box from Elite Screens shows up on the doorstep! :unbelievable:

So I've got a review to do of Elite, more mixing of Auto Air, more testing of Black Widow, and .... anyone else? :rofl:

mech

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
It was pure speculation on my part. That's why I picked up the Winter Mist there last week. To test this. Where was your Winter Mist from Harp? I know that it was more dead on neutral than my Winter Mist mix was.
By "your Winter Mist" do you mean the last batch you got from Lowe's?

My first quart of Winter Mist came from my local True Value store. It was what I used to make up my test batch of WM/HE558 5:1.

The readings (RGB values) you got from my samples were:
True Value Winter Mist: 226-223-224
WM/HE558 5:1 mix: 194-195-194

The Lowe's Winter Mist measured 218-221-222 and I haven't made a HE558 mix with it yet.

When I painted the samples to send to you I noticed that the True Value WM appeard to have a reddish hue when I compared it to known neutral grays, which your measurements proved to be the case, but only slightly. The Lowe's WM, while it appeared to match the neutral grays better, is actually the tiniest bit on the blue side. When the two WM paints are compared side-by-side the True Value mix seems to be off-color towards red, which I mentioned to you and Bill via PM. It's strange how it produced a HE558 mix that is almost dead-on neutral.

I'd like to take a moment to examine the two WM paints above. When viewed by themselves both paints seem to be gray. It's when they are compared to each other, or a neutral gray, that a very viewable difference can be seen.

The True Value WM RGB values only differ 3 points. The Lowe's WM values only differ 4 points. The two together differ only 2 points in the Blue and Green values (a very close match), but they differ 8 points in the Red value. I think I'll mix the two WM's together and see how it averages out. In theory, it should be about dead-on neutral.

BTW, all my HE558 mixes were measured to the milliliter using syringes.

All this reminds me of something a friend told me years ago. He was the head of the lamp division (light bulbs) of Westinghouse. I sure wish he was around today, he could answer a lot of questions I have about DIY screens and projectors. Sadly, he passed away. Anyway, he told me that the human eye is very poor at determining colors with no reference point (which is why we can watch gray screens, all the colors are relative. :)), but that when comparing two colors the human eye can discern very minute differences in shade and hue.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
All this reminds me of something a friend told me years ago. He was the head of the lamp division (light bulbs) of Westinghouse. I sure wish he was around today, he could answer a lot of questions I have about DIY screens and projectors. Sadly, he passed away. Anyway, he told me that the human eye is very poor at determining colors with no reference point (which is why we can watch gray screens, all the colors are relative. :)), but that when comparing two colors the human eye can discern very minute differences in shade and hue.
Absolutely true. That's why I said when testing screens, they should be tested against a known performer that's the same (or very close) shade.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
By "your Winter Mist" do you mean the last batch you got from Lowe's?
I had two different Winter Mist's - one from True Value and one from Lowe's

My first quart of Winter Mist came from my local True Value store. It was what I used to make up my test batch of WM/HE558 5:1.

The readings (RGB values) you got from my samples were:
True Value Winter Mist: 226-223-224
WM/HE558 5:1 mix: 194-195-194

The Lowe's Winter Mist measured 218-221-222 and I haven't made a HE558 mix with it yet.
Mine came in something like yours but a bit darker... 216 218 219 if I recall correctly - I'd have to search the pms to find it. I've done nothing with it since I've measured it either. Just sittin' in it's can.

When I painted the samples to send to you I noticed that the True Value WM appeard to have a reddish hue when I compared it to known neutral grays, which your measurements proved to be the case, but only slightly. The Lowe's WM, while it appeared to match the neutral grays better, is actually the tiniest bit on the blue side. When the two WM paints are compared side-by-side the True Value mix seems to be off-color towards red, which I mentioned to you and Bill via PM. It's strange how it produced a HE558 mix that is almost dead-on neutral.
Outside of my WhiBal card I do not have a neutral gray reference right now. I could punch the numbers in BabelColor and compare them though. :scratch:

I'd like to take a moment to examine the two WM paints above. When viewed by themselves both paints seem to be gray. It's when they are compared to each other, or a neutral gray, that a very viewable difference can be seen.

The True Value WM RGB values only differ 3 points. The Lowe's WM values only differ 4 points. The two together differ only 2 points in the Blue and Green values (a very close match), but they differ 8 points in the Red value. I think I'll mix the two WM's together and see how it averages out. In theory, it should be about dead-on neutral.

BTW, all my HE558 mixes were measured to the milliliter using syringes.
Store variance. And to think I measured using cups! :raped: Well your Black Widow came out better than mine! ;)

Amen! :T

mech

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Black Widow PFG

Both Bill and I have been unable to find a 'suitable' mate for Black Jack. Everything tried so far has pushed blue. And then the fact that it is discontinued. And I have no more to test. :huh: I wouldn't recommend it. Stick with HE558.

mech
Wish I read this before I got to impatient and purchased a 5 gallon bucket of BlackJack at Lowes. They at least marked it down for me because it was the last one. Back to HD to order a gallon of 588. May just do the SW grey for now.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

Wish I read this before I got to impatient and purchased a 5 gallon bucket of BlackJack at Lowes. They at least marked it down for me because it was the last one. Back to HD to order a gallon of 588. May just do the SW grey for now.
Was it the actual water based version? We've only found it at Walmart.

mech

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be fair, fabric can be tougher to match than a flat paint. I do understand though. :)
The offer still stands.

Before you drive all that way to the True Value store, make sure you have the formula for Winter Mist with you! Some stores don't have it, or look up the wrong tint values (been there! :gah:).
WQ

·
Registered
5 Posts

The blackjack is water based however it the label says "gel paint". This is to keep the aluminum suspended. That could be an issue.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I say take it back to Lowes and get your money back, unless you were planning on using the other 632 ounces for something else ;) , in which case keep it for that.

I'm not really sure what you got. What does it say on the side as far as the product #? What I was using was just a general purpose water based aluminum paint.

Mine is High Reflectance All Purpose Aluminum Paint #5168
Contains
  • Resin
  • Mineral Spirits
  • Aluminum
  • Water
How much did it cost? Here it's $55 for a five gallon bucket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The product is "BlackJack Aluminum Roof Coating #71"
" The Best and Brightest etc..." I double checked and it is water based. The price at Lowes is $37.50, but the department manager told me that sales were slow so they were going to discontinue it at this store. He gave it to me for $17.00 to get rid of it, so taking it back is not much of an option for me.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
$17 wasn't that bad then.

I do believe that has fibers in it too, maybe not though, I couldn't find #71 on their website either. Usually roof coatings do have other things in it in addition to just the binder, water, and aluminum.

You might be able to find something that works with it, but honestly we would have no idea what to use as a base since we have no data on it. If it's anything like the other aluminums, you'll want to use a warm white, but I can't promise how it will turn out. Look at it this way, you have more than enough to play with until you find the right combination ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts

Good question.

With a 0.8~1.2 screen it is unlikely to see much difference, however moving further away either direction and you alter the "L" in Lab enough so that the light that scatters more readily,ie Blue end of the spectrum, will behave differently than the Red end of the spectrum, then the ab functions may drift when viewing off axis.

We are looking uniformity across the width here.
Not to nit pick. But 0.8-1.2 is a 50% difference in gain!! That alters L alot. If we say unity gain +/- 5%, that would make more sense to me. That isn't too difficult to hit. It just seems pointless, to me, after doing all that work to get a neutral gray that you would ruin it with such a gain spread.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On another note, what is the difference between using aluminum flakes and the silver mica flakes that I have been using? I easily attained a neutral, or really close to neutral, paint mix with them.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
On another note, what is the difference between using aluminum flakes and the silver mica flakes that I have been using? I easily attained a neutral, or really close to neutral, paint mix with them.
Well you're main mix doesn't seem to have little prisms in it like the pearls and what not I've seen. Proof was in the magnification! ;) Haven't seen teh topcoat yet though. I am a bit wary of it. But I also trust you. :bigsmile:

Personally I like your mix! And I even recommended it elsewhere to the lower lumen crowd. I think that CGiv and the Black Widow compliment each other nicely here! I think of CGiv as kind of a SILVER killer. Maybe we should move this conversation to the CGiv thread though! :hide:

And I really really really will get around to testing gain. But first I gotta figure out how exactly. With my spectro that is. But Sunday is the Super Bowl and we have guests coming and I also have a 92" Elite Silver Frame screen sitting in a box in my office that I have to review. And then hopefully box it back up and give it away to a member.

mech

101 - 120 of 1474 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.