Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1461 - 1474 of 1474 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Thanks Yiannis. My whole reason for discovering this thread is that I don't actually want a screen as my HT room is multi-purpose. I can see a neutral grey screen blending into the wall somewhat, but I might try putting up a temporary black border. Actually I've got a few metres of blue velvet left over from my curtains...
You are welcome my friend!!

Enjoy your HT!!:T

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to HTS! :wave:
I dont recall anyone doing this on this forum, but it has been successfully done elsewhere. As I understand it the key is to paint the screen and then let it cure for at least two weeks before rolling it up. This gives the paint time to cure.

Thanks for replying, don't suppose you know how long it will last on a rolled up screen?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thanks for replying, don't suppose you know how long it will last on a rolled up screen?
Not from experience, but common sense would dictate the more the screen is rolled up and down the more chance there is of the paint coming loose from the screen. However, I don't recall reading about this happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I need to clarify that when I stated that there are only two white paints that are neutral I meant only two of the white paints that I have tested were neutral, the rest were "warm" whites. Those paints were both made by Glidden.
Hi again Don,

Here you mention Glidden and in the tint codes sticky it's Glidden Professional. Could you please tell me which Glidden Professional paint(s) it is specifically? Looking at http://www.gliddenprofessional.com, there's quite a few different products. A few stores round here stock Glidden Trade in large quantities, but I'm thinking I might be able to find the equivalent product in Dulux as they're both owned by ICI - e.g. Glidden Professional Diamond 450/Dulux Diamond.

This would be just for cleaning up my already white wall.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi again Don,

Here you mention Glidden and in the tint codes sticky it's Glidden Professional. Could you please tell me which Glidden Professional paint(s) it is specifically? Looking at http://www.gliddenprofessional.com, there's quite a few different products. A few stores round here stock Glidden Trade in large quantities, but I'm thinking I might be able to find the equivalent product in Dulux as they're both owned by ICI - e.g. Glidden Professional Diamond 450/Dulux Diamond.

This would be just for cleaning up my already white wall.
Sure thing! The two paints, in the U.S., are Glidden Premium GLN9000 in flat finish (sold at Home Depot stores) and Glidden Professional Diamond 450 in velvet matte finish. The two have almost identical spectral reflectance. There is a whole thread on the Diamond 450 paint here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just for us all to know and after a couple of weeks researshing i realize that dulux sells the same paint in more then 50 countries with diferent names. I am from portugal, try to ship from glliden US with no luck, then from dulux UK with no luck, and then realize that the firm behind this paint names AKZONOBEL and we can find this paint in diferent names, Flexa (Holanda), Levis (Bélgica), Sadolin (Dinamarca), Bruguer (Espanha), Marshall (Turquia), Vivechrom (Grécia), Alba (Argentina), Coral (Brasil) e Inca (Uruguai).
http://mundodasmarcas.blogspot.pt/2006/06/dulux-color-your-world.html
I will try to ship from spain and i think the dulux light & space absolute white (Glidden Diamond 450 in US) in Spain it calls bruguer amplitude blanco radiante

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you Harpmaker for your scientific research and for telling us that there is paint OTS like Dulux/Glidden that rivals the best´s comercial screen´s like Stewart Studiotek 1.3 for 1000% less!!! Am I right?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thank you Harpmaker for your scientific research and for telling us that there is paint OTS like Dulux/Glidden that rivals the best´s comercial screen´s like Stewart Studiotek 1.3 for 1000% less!!! Am I right?
Yes! A neutral OTS paint can match, or beat, the performance of many basic commercial screens. When it comes to gains over 1.0 things get a bit more complicated. When a screen has a "peak gain" or "on-axis" gain (they are the same thing) over 1.0 there WILL be a decrease in viewing angle since the screen cannot generate light and only reflects it. If the screen is reflecting more light at one viewing angle than it MUST be reflecting less light at another viewing angle. This applies to all screens commercial and DIY, it's physics. There are a number of negative viewing artifacts that can result from increasing gain, what they are depends on what method is used.

In an OTS paint the only way to increase gain is to either add gloss or some kind of reflective agent to the paint. Commercial screens can add gain in like fashion and thus both commercial and DIY screens would have the same performance. The newer hi-tech commercial screens like the SI Black Diamond and DNP Supernova are made with what I call an "engineered finish" that effectively lets them control light reflection as if the screen had millions of micro-lenses in it; these types of screens cannot be achieved with any kind of paint mix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing makes me a little confused, it was the diamond finish of the glidden 450 that the dulux light and space doesnt have. The finish that makes the paint 20 times tougher and gives diferent rgb readings between Glidden and Dulux. Thats because MAYBE the glidden titanium 450 IS NOT dulux light and space, but Dulux Ultra White (this one has the same lumitec tec. that L&S has and the Diamond Tough formulation that the glidden 450 has!)
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/ultra-white/

BUT without the diamond formulation the paint is slightly brighter, so more gain!?
The readings that is on the net:

Glidden Diamond 450 Titanium White:/ Dulux Ultra White
36.35 31.6 245,246,243 1.43

Dulux Light & Space Absolute White Rich Matt
RGB 249 250 247

So if the Glidden Diamond 450 IS NOT the Dulux Light & Space, Maybe the Glidden Lifemaster Interior Flat Mate Paint IS! It has the Lumitec tec. and dont have the diamond finish!
http://www.gliddenprofessional.com/sustainability/Lowest_Environmental_Footprint/Lifemaster_No_VOC

If the Carrada has this readings, how much gain has the L&S?

Carrada Brilliant White 1.4 Gain:
36.1 30.8 242,242,236 3.22

Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 screen material is RGB 250 241 249, so L&S is a more neutral and brighter screen?

This makes the NON diamond finish a better choice (same neutral but more brighness) and maybe a smoother finish for a White Screen?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
One thing makes me a little confused, it was the diamond finish of the glidden 450 that the dulux light and space doesnt have. The finish that makes the paint 20 times tougher and gives diferent rgb readings between Glidden and Dulux. Thats because MAYBE the glidden titanium 450 IS NOT dulux light and space, but Dulux Ultra White (this one has the same lumitec tec. that L&S has and the Diamond Tough formulation that the glidden 450 has!)
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/ultra-white/

BUT without the diamond formulation the paint is slightly brighter, so more gain!?
The readings that is on the net:

RGB 249 250 247

So if the Glidden Diamond 450 IS NOT the Dulux Light & Space, Maybe the Glidden Lifemaster Interior Flat Mate Paint IS! It has the Lumitec tec. and dont have the diamond finish!
http://www.gliddenprofessional.com/sustainability/Lowest_Environmental_Footprint/Lifemaster_No_VOC

If the Carrada has this readings, how much gain has the L&S?

Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 screen material is RGB 250 241 249, so L&S is a more neutral and brighter screen?

This makes the NON diamond finish a better choice (same neutral but more brighness) and maybe a smoother finish for a White Screen?
As i understand it (thanks Harp!!), it's all about sheen/finish. When we talk about gain, that's the crucial factor. Take BW for example. According to RGB numbers should have a gain of 0.5, instead with the addition of aluminum goes to 0.9. Same thing here...

L = 96.73, Y = 91,79, which means 0.92 gain.

RGB 249 250 247

L = 98.12, Y = 95,22, which means 0.95 gain.

L = 95.34, Y = 88,43, which means 0.89 gain.

Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130
RGB 250 241 249

L = 96.02, Y = 90,07, which means 0.9 gain.

So, if you measure and take different luminosity values, that means that a gloss sheen is present on each screen.

I believe Don can explain this to you better!!:)

PS

Are you sure about Stewart's values? It seems that's way off in terms of color neutrality.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
With the recent developments from Createx (you can see this here), we are not recommending BW™ to be used at this time.

The new formulation will most likely require a new base paint and new testing. None of which will occur quickly. Harp and I both have new AAA on order and we'll be testing it out, but until such time as we figure out how to handle the change with AAA. I'm going to close this thread.

Stay tuned, there may be a new BW™ in the future! :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Rather than bore folks with gobs of data (at least at this early stage) I'll simply report the results of my testing of the new AAA-F this way... just mix it with any neutral gray paint 4:1 and it will work well!

Right now, the formula for the new BW™ mix would be to use a quart of paint tinted to Glidden 'Veil' as the base paint and then add 8 fl. oz. of the new AAA-F. We need to do more testing to see if the gain of the mix is the same as the old BW™. This will probably occur over the course of the summer.

Now to answer a BIG question: how can I tell if my AAA-F is made with the old or the new aluminum? The answer is easy and is the same for everyone around the world. Every bottle of AAA-F has a UPC label on it that also contains a batch number such as WDNC18-86BS(1). The key digits are the two after the hyphen. In the example those numbers are 86. Numbers of 81 and higher are the new AAA-F and numbers of 80 and lower are the old AAA-F.

The new AAA-F can be added to any neutral gray paint 4:1.
The old AAA-F must use a base tinted PPG 'Bermuda Beige' 4:1 to result in a neutral mix.

My thanks go out to the folks at Createx! They were very easy to talk to and bent over backwards to help us. :TT

1461 - 1474 of 1474 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.