Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 1474 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I just looked back at one of your earlier posts and I see you say to use the fine, so that answers my question about that..

Now all we need is the right white base colour, either of the shelf here or an acurate mix formula..

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
WOW!!!...Thanks for that Bill..and they are based in Adealide!!:unbelievable: :yay:
Which of the three types would you recommend?..I presume the fine one..

I take it that you're mixing it with the base colour, so it could still be rolled on?

I will be doing a trip to Adelaide shortly to pick up a few things, so I could get it at the same time and save on the freight cost..

Thanks again for that.:T
Hey, wait a minute...I'm not Bill! :foottap:

Not that I mind you confusing the two of us, but he may take it as an insult.:rofl2:

Anyway, I'm glad that helps! I'll step back and let Bill and mech take it from here, as far as what you should use for the base, etc. I know mech is still doing a lot of testing with it...not sure if there's a final recommendation as to what base works best.

BTW, are there any brands on easyRGB.com that you can get Down Under?

Jim

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Out of interest I have just received some aluminium raw product in several forms.

My initial tests have shown that because it is so powerful there is no need for a pre tinted product. ie using white with the raw ali I have pulled it down below N7 range(visual). I am current at aprox 5% product with white base resulting with a level aprox N8~N9.

I have yet to do some spectrum readings, if I get time this weekend I'll post the results.

Looking to have some potential already.
I have some raw aluminum powder as well. I found that it acts as the Auto Air does, blue push. And then there's the whole problem of taking advantage of the aluminum - not coating it with paint, getting it to the surface.

It'll be good to see your results!

mech

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I just looked back at one of your earlier posts and I see you say to use the fine, so that answers my question about that..

Now all we need is the right white base colour, either of the shelf here or an acurate mix formula..
Prof.

Keep an eye on the Further Investigations thread. That's where all my work with Auto Air Aluminum is being documented. ;)

mech

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Hey, wait a minute...I'm not Bill! :foottap:

Not that I mind you confusing the two of us, but he may take it as an insult.:rofl2:

Anyway, I'm glad that helps! I'll step back and let Bill and mech take it from here, as far as what you should use for the base, etc. I know mech is still doing a lot of testing with it...not sure if there's a final recommendation as to what base works best.

BTW, are there any brands on easyRGB.com that you can get Down Under?

Jim
I do apologize for that oversight Jim...and I pass on my thanks to you..

I checked the esyRGB site and didn't find any brands that are available down here...

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

I checked the esyRGB site and didn't find any brands that are available down here...
Prof.,

When I do finish finding a suitable base, I'll send you a sample that can be read at a paint store on an index card! :T

Now to find a suitable base for Auto Air so we can make this thing international! You know, this might be the first international DIY mix! Ever! :yay:

mech

·
Premium Member
560 Posts

Yeah...that makes things tough. It's nearly impossible for us (in the States) to know what paint is available everywhere else. I spent some time on the Australian Google site looking for something analogous to easyRGB...a site with RGB data on paints available in Australia...but didn't find anything. At least we located aluminum in Australia now...

I suppose an option would be for someone to stick a paint chip of the correct color (once finalized for AAA) in an envelope and mail it to you. You could then bring it to your best paint matching company in Australia and have 'em mix a liter.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I just want to restate something.

These on going tests do not mean there is a problem with the Black Widow application presented in the main presentation thread. We are working on alternate methods to make a Black Widow to ensure there are plenty of options for people to get whatever is available and most convenient for them but still end up with the same exact performance.

Part of the reason for this thread is to show why it took so long to get BW 'to market' so to speak. Many months were spent behind the scenes developing this. What you are seeing now is a glimpse of what we have been doing the past several months as far as working on the main Black Widow application. It takes time and if nothing this thread shows how much time and effort can go into getting something right.

The concept was easy, the execution is what kills most things and we want to make sure the final result is just the same as what is shown in the presentation thread. So like I said, please don't take this as there is a problem with Black Widow, we're looking at as many alternatives and options as possible, but it will be the same performance no matter which option you choose.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

These on going tests do not mean there is a problem with the Black Widow application presented in the main presentation thread. We are working on alternate methods to make a Black Widow to ensure there are plenty of options for people to get whatever is available and most convenient for them but still end up with the same exact performance.

Part of the reason for this thread is to show why it took so long to get BW 'to market' so to speak. Many months were spent behind the scenes developing this. What you are seeing now is a glimpse of what we have been doing the past several months as far as working on the main Black Widow application. It takes time and if nothing this thread shows how much time and effort can go into getting something right.

The concept was easy, the execution is what kills most things and we want to make sure the final result is just the same as what is shown in the presentation thread. So like I said, please don't take this as there is a problem with Black Widow, we're looking at as many alternatives and options as possible, but it will be the same performance no matter which option you choose.
I don't think I could've stated it any better! :T ;) And it directly correlates to the Further Investigations thread. It may help those, such as Harpmaker, who wish to wrestle with the DIY screen paint addiction! lol :coocoo: :dumbcrazy:

I believe the Further Investigation thread is an exact replica of what took place, conversation wise, between us for months. But now we've opened it up for anyone who chooses to participate. :T

mech

T

·
0 Posts
Not that anything is wrong, but is the SW LW pulled as a recommended base? I still see it in the first post of this thread.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Well put explanation. So, if you can score the HE558, you'd better get it :unbelievable:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not that anything is wrong, but is the SW LW pulled as a recommended base? I still see it in the first post of this thread.
Great question...

Well I had the pleasure of meeting Muzz for the first time online. He was using the Benjamin Chantilly Lace as a base. He also had another BM base as well, the name slips my mind at the moment. I'm going to go with BW within the next 2 weeks and the base is my only remaining question mark as well.

I can't take the Kilz2 any longer now that I have the baseline for what the SP-7210 can do.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
The other base I used is BM Pearl River.

I think Mech is gonna send a hit squad to my house if he doesn't get those samples soon.....

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I don't know if it's been officially pulled or not, but I have sprayed both mixes and they are almost the same shade of gray (mech's batch was a little lighter than the Winter Mist/He558 5:1 mix, mine was a tad darker). What it all boils down to is neutrality, and the Winter Mist formula wins there.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
To be blunt, yes. LW is not recommended as the Winter Mist comes in dang near dead on neutral. And we figured with the color matching abilities of Lowe's and as well as other store's ability to match it, it makes no sense to keep one around that is only a 'near' neutral.

muzz's will be added once Guido gets to his house, ransacks it, and gets me a sample so I can spectro it! Look out muzz! :rofl: It has to come in neutral as well. :T

So in a nutshell LW can be used, but why bother when you can use WM. muzz used Benjamin Moore paint because he has a penchant for high quality paint, which is admirable and encouraged by myself! :T

muzz - where do you get your Ben Moore paint? And they cannot color match other colors right?

mech

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I got my Ben Moore at the local Ace Hardware store.

They will mix up whatever BM paint is closest to the brand/color you ask them to.
For example, I went there to get a match for SW grey screen, she looked it up on the computer, and the closest match they had was "Pebble Beach".
So she mixed that up.

I don't believe they have a spectro to actually match the color chips at this location, although I never asked, or looked for one.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
My Ace hardware only sells Ace brand house paints, but I think they can match BM paints, as well as SW, PPG and a few other brands; they can also spectro-match (I just did this for a quart of a Munsell N5).

I can get real BM paints at a local hardware chain called Coles; and they can match colors via spectro. This same store can get me a single gallon of Henry 558, but it's a seasonal item and won't be available from their warehouse until Spring.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Yeah...that makes things tough. It's nearly impossible for us (in the States) to know what paint is available everywhere else. I spent some time on the Australian Google site looking for something analogous to easyRGB...a site with RGB data on paints available in Australia...but didn't find anything. At least we located aluminum in Australia now...

I suppose an option would be for someone to stick a paint chip of the correct color (once finalized for AAA) in an envelope and mail it to you. You could then bring it to your best paint matching company in Australia and have 'em mix a liter.
Actually, I think that's an EXCELLENT idea Jim...Not just for me but for anyone, anywhere in the World, who can then get it matched to the paint brands available in their Country..

It would be some extra work for someone it's true, but I'm sure it would be very much appreciated by all concerned..

T

·
0 Posts
A new Lowes that recently opened up in my neck of the woods appears to have the Black Jack for about $10 a gallon (It has a 300 on the can, is this the right one?) In any case, the work was stopped so there is no recommended base for it...correct?

141 - 160 of 1474 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.