Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 1474 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
A new Lowes that recently opened up in my neck of the woods appears to have the Black Jack for about $10 a gallon (It has a 300 on the can, is this the right one?) In any case, the work was stopped so there is no recommended base for it...correct?
Hi, TW!

No, the 300 has 2 problems...it is fibered and it's oil-based. The Henry is water-based and non-fibered. And, you're correct...since Bill checked with GG (the company that makes BJ) and they said the water-based, non-fibered Blackjack was discontinued, work to find the best base for it was abandoned.

For folks interested in BW...I'm going to give a bit of advice. Do yourself a favor and just spend the 30 bucks ordering the HE558 online. If you're spending a lot of time looking locally, you're likely wasting your time.

Back when PFG was under development, I took an entire day driving to every hardware/paint store in the greater Cincinnati area looking for water-based, non-fibered aluminum roof coating. Took a day of vacation from work to do it! And, while I could occasionally find non-fibered, I could not find water-based and NF.

Seriously, between the time you'll spend, the frustration you'll feel, and the gas you'll waste...it's just not worth it. Spend the $3x to order it online and move on with your happy life. :D

T

·
0 Posts
Seriously, between the time you'll spend, the frustration you'll feel, and the gas you'll waste...it's just not worth it. Spend the $3x to order it online and move on with your happy life. :D
Thanks man. Actually, funny thing, I was not actually or actively looking. I went to lowes to get some materials to build my stage and screen wall, and while in the section to pick up the 6 mil plastic sheeting for the sand, the Black Jack was sitting right next to it looking at me :rubeyes:. Anyway, although I slightly remembered :scratchhead: the work was stopped, I just thought I'll see if anyone did use it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok guys i have my BW mixed up. I have no idea how much henry made it into the mix......it is really thick stuff and its globbered on my measuring cup yet so i know i have 6 oz for sure but dont think i have the 6.4 as stated.

My questions is....is this a one coat thing? I never found any of that reading through the two threads. I hope so cause i doubt the quart will make the first coat of the screen. I think i should have grabbed 2 quarts.

Starting soon, so would like to know if one coat is acceptable.....im using the WM, i sure hope they mixed that right, first he grabbed a gallon(i thought why not its cheaper than buying quarts) and almost mixed up the eggshell unitl i noticed it was the wrong gallon. They then looked for flat and they didnt have any gallons, just 3 quarts on the shelf. The first two quarts i ordered they put in the mix for the gallon into each quart.....it was way darker and i dont have a color chart to check to make sure what WM is supposed to look like. Anyone have the paint code that is on the color pallet? The true value label didnt list a code on the winter mist label.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Ok guys i have my BW mixed up. I have no idea how much henry made it into the mix......it is really thick stuff and its globbered on my measuring cup yet so i know i have 6 oz for sure but dont think i have the 6.4 as stated.

My questions is....is this a one coat thing? I never found any of that reading through the two threads. I hope so cause i doubt the quart will make the first coat of the screen. I think i should have grabbed 2 quarts.

Starting soon, so would like to know if one coat is acceptable.....im using the WM, i sure hope they mixed that right, first he grabbed a gallon(i thought why not its cheaper than buying quarts) and almost mixed up the eggshell unitl i noticed it was the wrong gallon. They then looked for flat and they didnt have any gallons, just 3 quarts on the shelf. The first two quarts i ordered they put in the mix for the gallon into each quart.....it was way darker and i dont have a color chart to check to make sure what WM is supposed to look like. Anyone have the paint code that is on the color pallet? The true value label didnt list a code on the winter mist label.
It is thick stuff! A quart should get you two coats for a 106" screen. One thing you may need to add is a little water. No more than 4oz. If you're rolling it vertical, have a light off to one side shining on it to avoid roller marks. When you're finished , go back and roll over the whole screen from the top down, overlapping the heel side with the next pass. Apply no pressure when making this pass as it's eliminating roller marks and, according to Henry, aligning the aluminum flakes.

The Winter Mist formula is:
B 2
R .5
L .5

It should be a light gray.

mech

·
Registered
209 Posts
oh great.......it was mixed 2-1-1 it says so right on the lid.......why would they do that?? Does the computer round it up when switching to a quart...

Hmm.....id say stay away from true value.....this would be quart number 3 messed up....

Joe

EDIT...

checked the label again and it says "2" shots B and "1" half-shot for each R and L ....so i guess it is right....kinda weird the way the labeled it.

N

·
0 Posts
:help:

Ok, this may be simple for you paint experts :bigsmile:, but I'm a paint novice on my best day.

I attempted to get some True Value Winter Mist at Lowes. However, I found that just knowing the name of the paint was not enough for me.

The first sign of trouble was that the gentleman helping me wasn't sure how to match paint just by name and without a sample. We got pointed in the right direction by another guy and started our search.

We first looked for True Value in their system. No luck. If it's in there it isn't spelled out as such like other companies were. We next searched by name and two entries for Winter Mist came up. :confused:

I guessed and picked one to see what else it was going to ask. Next was the choice of finish, which I assumed was matte/flat and then I was faced with the choice of several different Valspar bases (at least I think that's what it was asking). Of course, the guy helping me had no idea what made one base different from another. :gah:

At this point I decided to pull the eject lever and come back here for more info before heading back into battle.

So, uh, :scratchhead: what exactly do I need to ask for at Lowes to get them to make the right Winter Mist? :please: :bigsmile:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
NS,

You and I have similar Lowe's apparently! :bigsmile: I could not get it at any of mine either. I do, however, have the tint ingredients for it! ;)

This is in a Valspar Ultra Premium Interior Flat Enamel Flat Base 1

104 - 0.5
109 - 0.5
102 - 2

:T

mech

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Here is a copy of the label from my Lowe's quart can of True Value winter Mist match.

The base paint that is used. Sorry for the bad color; I had to use my finger to shade the flash. In case you can't read it, it says "Flat Base 1 210170"

The whole can.

This should be all you need!

Mech answered while I was taking the photos and composing my post. :bigsmile:

N

·
0 Posts
Thank you very much Harpmaker and mech. :hail:

I will return to Lowes with this great info and continue fighting the good fight.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Some pictures of Black Widow compared to both Sherwin Williams Gray Screen and my Fashion Grey Screen.

The only ambient light setting I used was medium daylight from the ambient light chart:

There are both ambient/daytime and no ambient/daytime shots. There is a bit of ambient light on the right hand side of my screen with the lights in the room off. I have filtered light coming in through the windows.

The panels are Bermuda Beige Black Widow / GS / Bare Beige Black Widow.

Whites

Hockey is difficult to capture a good image from as it's a fast moving game and I just wanted to see the ice anyways. As you can see the much darker Black Widow panels have whites that are on par to better than Gray Screen.

Viewing Angle

Here's a shot at about 15-20degrees

The bare beige holds it's ground.

At ~45 degrees

So there is a viewing cone. Definitely not as bad as something like Da-Lite's High Power though! ;)

mech

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some pictures of Black Widow compared to both Sherwin Williams Gray Screen and my Fashion Grey Screen.

The only ambient light setting I used was medium daylight from the ambient light chart:

There are both ambient/daytime and no ambient/daytime shots. There is a bit of ambient light on the right hand side of my screen with the lights in the room off. I have filtered light coming in through the windows.
Mech--

I tried searching and poking around but couldn't answer the question myself. How do I read this table? I'm not sure I understand. I saw a similar table in your Elite Silver Screen thread.

Thanks so much.

Rich

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Rich,
I actually used mech's readings to make the above chart, so I'll do my best to explain it. For each lighting condition that he experiences in his theater, mech divided his screen into 9 rectangles (like a tic-tac-toe board). He has an instrument that allows him to measure the light at any location, so the numbers plotted on each the 9-segment screens show the amount of light hitting the screen for each situation.

For instance, he says in one of the posts above that all of the pics were taken in the daytime, with medium ambient lighting. Here is the relevant piece of the chart:

On the left, you can see that the 2 cans near the screen are off, the 5 remaining cans in the room are at 75%, and there is filtered sunlight from the window. The numbers can then be interpreted per their position on the table. For instance, the level of light hitting the top left section of his screen is 7 lumens. His screen is hit with 15 lumens in the bottom right section. Keep in mind that all of the light readings are taken with the projector turned off. It's simply a measurement of the artificial lighting (plus sunlight for daytime situations) that mech's pj/screen combination has to deal with (and overcome for a good image) for each viewing environment. These numbers will be different for each of us, and are shared only so the baseline ambient lighting levels for any of mech's test screenshots are disclosed (for anyone interested in the nitty-gritty details).

If I'm not mistaken, this came up because someone had a question regarding the terminology...e.g. what do low, medium, and high ambient light levels mean?? Isn't it different for all of us? The answer is yes, it's different for all of us. And, here is the data for mech's place, where much of the Shack's testing and reviews are performed.

Hope this helps...let us know if there are other questions (or if I've made it even more confusing). :hide:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Some things to add. I stated in the post above that they were off Sherwin Williams Gray Screen. That's incorrect. It was actually my True Value Winter Mountain panel. There basically the same shade of gray though - so no biggie.

Also I thought that the amount of daylight hitting the screen on the right side had an adverse effect on the shots. That's why I'm going to re-do them at night soon.

The things to glean from these shots are this though. There's better whites than a paint that's a much lighter shade of gray and there's better blacks.

Another thing worth noting is that there is a viewing angle. How much? I'd guess somewhere around 45 degrees.

mech

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Do you have a side by side of these two at the suggested fotiosSherwin Williams Luminous White and True Value Winter Mist

David
David,

What are you looking for? A side by side of Winter Mist and Luminous White Black Widow? Let me know.

If that is what you're looking for then you may be out of luck. The only HE558 panel I have left is the Winter Mist 5:1. And that has half of it rolled with flat Valspar Clear Protector.

mech

·
Registered
21 Posts
David,

What are you looking for? A side by side of Winter Mist and Luminous White Black Widow? Let me know.

If that is what you're looking for then you may be out of luck. The only HE558 panel I have left is the Winter Mist 5:1. And that has half of it rolled with flat Valspar Clear Protector.

mech
What I was after, is which one of the two ended up being the prefered choice.
I have a panny AX100 with some light issues (windows) The screen I did is a mixture of several different
colors close to the MaxMudd.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. That's basically what I thought it was, but wasn't positive, and wasn't sure of what scale (lumens) was being used. Very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Rich

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
What I was after, is which one of the two ended up being the prefered choice.
I have a panny AX100 with some light issues (windows) The screen I did is a mixture of several different
colors close to the MaxMudd.

Thanks
David
I have the AX100 myself, and either version will be fine.... I have test panels of both, and they aren't that different.
The Winter Mist mix is a bit more towards neutral, so I'd use that.

161 - 180 of 1474 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.