Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have a 106" screen using Dalite HCCV stretched over a 92"x52" DIY frame. The screen has developed a couple of hot spots (mostly due to improper cleaning). I was considering replacing what I have with more of the same material ($250) when I ran across the Black Widow thread. Can anyone help me with the following questions?

1. How does DaLite HCCV compare to BW performance-wise?

2. If I go with Kilz2 and BW, can I use my existing stretched HCCV material as the base? My screen is unsupported from behind except for the border.

3. If #2 is no, what's the best way to construct a base panel that is > 48" high?

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
What projector are you using?

The DaLite HCCV is 202 203 201 and Black Widow is 186 187 187 (for the BW AAA version). Even though BW is much darker, it still performs like a screen the shade you have (as far as white levels, blacks should be much deeper and darker with BW).

I'd say if you can handle an N8 already then you should be fine with Black Widow, but I'd still like some more information about your projector and setup before making any definitive statements.

As far as using your existing screen, as long as it is still taut and there are no sags or wrinkles you should be fine. You will need to prime it first as you already mentioned.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I have a ceiling mounted Epson TW600 LCD 12' from the screen. My room is 26' x 19', but the back half has a pool table, so I only have one row of seating. The seating angle from the ends is about 30 deg. Also the screen is mounted fairly high on the wall (screen bottom at eye-level).

Currently my lighting control is not that great with 3 rear windows that have somewhat leaky shutters. I plan to add BOC-lined curtains to these in the near future though.

-Darrell

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bill,

One other question. The Dalite Cinema Vision series has some reflective materials built-in as well (I can see very fine particles when I look close). Does the BW AAA have more/better reflection that will compensate for the screen being darker?

BTW, my screen is taut, but I never taunt it. :sarcastic:

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Yes BW has aluminum in it and you can actually see the aluminum flakes up close, but at a seated distance they don't cause any sparklie issues or anything like that.

Is your projector the EMP-TW600? If so you can more than handle a Black Widow and will be able to watch with lights out or lights on with no problem.

I also have a 106" screen and this will give you a rough idea of what type of image you'll be looking at with lights on and lights off:

Lights on- There are four 60W bulbs on in the room.

And a lights out image:

Here is a shot of the one room lamp and its proximaty to the screen, the other lamp with the 60W bulb is in the adhacent corner:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts