Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I essentially want to get a pretty good setup with what I have to work with. Mostly movies and games. I like the idea of a 9.1 setup, however, I only have a 7.1 Denon receiver for that room right now.
You could still do it with 7.1, but you would have to give up the rear surrounds. Not a big deal, and something you can play around with later if you like.

I think I will be relegated to doing floor speakers if I want to add left and right speakers. I am already going to use the black center under the screen.
This is a good thing, IMO.

I might get the projector in the room first before I buy a screen to see how big I want to go on the wall before I commit fully to a size.
:T

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at them and I worry that 1.3 gain will be too much and 0.8 might be enough. I don't see a 1.0 gain offering from them. The price looks great for their screens. how is the build on the screen? It is DIY when you get it, correct? How many tension points does it have (if you remember)? Also how easy is it to mount?

Elite screens were also recommended. I am going to take a closer look at them too.

I might get the projector in the room first before I buy a screen to see how big I want to go on the wall before I commit fully to a size.
I think the one I have is 1.1 gain. It was pretty easy to put together and took me less than 1 hour. I was happy with the product other than it took longer to get than they said it would. I do know some others have not been happy with the construction while others like myself are very happy with it. Hanging it was pretty easy. I made up some pieces of wood and used some construction adhesive to attach them to the drywall and then took some drywall screws and screwed them right though the velvet. Now some people are shocked but I have to tell you if you don't know that it was done that way you will not know until you are a foot or so away from it and know where to look.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I am debating going with a 0.8 screen to lower the fL. Would this be a stupid move? As mentioned above I could always up the brightness if needed. Are there any huge pro's and con's between grey, white, cinewhite, etc?
Going with a .8 gain screen would be absolutely fine. It would still leave you above the recommended fL for a home theater (12-16fL). Even as the bulb ages, you will probably still be within this parameter.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at them and I worry that 1.3 gain will be too much and 0.8 might be enough. I don't see a 1.0 gain offering from them. The price looks great for their screens. how is the build on the screen? It is DIY when you get it, correct? How many tension points does it have (if you remember)? Also how easy is it to mount?
Never take a quoted gain measurement from a manufacturer seriously, even from Jamestown. If it is a white material, I'd seriously doubt that it would be much higher than 1. Carada makes the brightest white that I've ever measured and it came in at 1.2 IIRC. I emailed Jamestown some time ago for samples of their products and they never replied or sent anything. So I'd take any numbers that they throw out there with a grain of salt. None of this is a knock on Jamestown's products per se, just the numbers that they throw out there with their products.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another couple of notes that I'll add about projector/image brightness:

1. If you want to watch 3D content, brightness is your friend. 3D glasses make the image considerably less bright.

2. If you don't always want to watch with the lights off, brightness is your friend. We found that we enjoyed ujsing the projector for everything, including regular HDTV-viewing. A lot of the time it's not desirable to turn the lights off just to watch TV. The brightness of the projector's image in ambient light is convenient for just plain old TV watching with the lights on.

Personally, I would err on the side of giving myself a nice bright image, then using the various projector modes and adjustments to tone it down as needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As always thanks for the quick and informative responses.

One general question I have for all is how much of a problem is it to use most of my zoom? I am thinking 120" is the number to go with and to get that at a short throw distance I am looking at about 1.8-1.9x zoom.

Going with a .8 gain screen would be absolutely fine. It would still leave you above the recommended fL for a home theater (12-16fL). Even as the bulb ages, you will probably still be within this parameter.

Never take a quoted gain measurement from a manufacturer seriously, even from Jamestown. If it is a white material, I'd seriously doubt that it would be much higher than 1. Carada makes the brightest white that I've ever measured and it came in at 1.2 IIRC. I emailed Jamestown some time ago for samples of their products and they never replied or sent anything. So I'd take any numbers that they throw out there with a grain of salt. None of this is a knock on Jamestown's products per se, just the numbers that they throw out there with their products.
This is good to know. I think I might aim for 1-1.3 as I actually put the projector up today (got the Epson 5030) and the THX and Cinema modes seem a little dark for my taste (no ambient light). Granted the image is being projected onto a beige painted wall. I do enjoy the almost noise-less fan at the lower light levels.

Do you have a reasonable light meter that you would recommend?

Also, I am seriously looking at Elite screens, however, their AT 4k screens are curved. I would like to future proof if necessary and have heard that AT screens do matter when moving up to 4k (weave pattern, holes, etc). I am very seriously considering in wall LCRs behind the screen (wife doesn't want stand speakers). My center would have to be vertical too, however, most folks said this shouldn't matter and may even sound better.

Do you have any other brands you might recommend for AT 4k?

Another couple of notes that I'll add about projector/image brightness:

1. If you want to watch 3D content, brightness is your friend. 3D glasses make the image considerably less bright.

2. If you don't always want to watch with the lights off, brightness is your friend. We found that we enjoyed ujsing the projector for everything, including regular HDTV-viewing. A lot of the time it's not desirable to turn the lights off just to watch TV. The brightness of the projector's image in ambient light is convenient for just plain old TV watching with the lights on.

Personally, I would err on the side of giving myself a nice bright image, then using the various projector modes and adjustments to tone it down as needed.
Both great points which is why I think I am going to lean towards a screen with a higher gain.

I would purchase the projector and screen with optimum movie viewing (Cinema mode) in mind, if I wanted to watch with the lights on I would just switch the projector to a brighter setting (Dynamic).
Also a good point - I am thinking 0.8 might make it too dark now. Contrast isn't an issue with this projector.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
This is the light meter I use...

·
Registered
69 Posts
One general question I have for all is how much of a problem is it to use most of my zoom? I am thinking 120" is the number to go with and to get that at a short throw distance I am looking at about 1.8-1.9x zoom.
As long as you're happy with the image quality (brightness, contrast, focus, uniformity) at that zoom level it's fine.

I am very seriously considering in wall LCRs behind the screen (wife doesn't want stand speakers). My center would have to be vertical too, however, most folks said this shouldn't matter and may even sound better.
LCR all the same and behind an AT screen is a good way to go.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
This is the light meter I use...
Thanks - I will have to get one.

If you are looking at an AT screen one of the best imho is the Seymour

http://www.seymourscreenexcellence.com/materials.asp
I am thinking I might get the Seymour Fixed Frame Center Stage XD - It looks like a nice weave that will allow close placement to LCR speakers without the need for an EQ or worrying about much sound reflection.

Another AT screen (the one I am going to get next) is Falcon Screens... http://www.falconscreens.com/
This is a nice choice too. I am mainly concerned about having a screen with a weave versus machine perforation.

I know SmX used to be a highly recommended screen, however, they do not exist anymore. I do like the Elite AcousticPro 4k, however, the product is described as a sheer weave and looks super tight (as if it won't let sound pass through easily). Their Web site says 1" is sufficient between speakers and the back of the screen. Also it looks like you can only get it in a curved screen. Can anyone chime in regarding this?

If money was not an object when considering Elite, Falcon, or Seymour what is going to be the best in terms of balance between low SPL and light pass-through but great picture without much notice of texture on the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have made some progress and will get pics up soon. Waiting on the speakers atm.

Of course the wall I am hanging it on isn't perfectly even (as none are) and I am trying to figure out how to square the projector up with the screen. I have seen some folks use a laser distance measuring tool on each side of the PJ to get distance and rotate the screen/PJ a necessary.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have made some progress and will get pics up soon. Waiting on the speakers atm.

Of course the wall I am hanging it on isn't perfectly even (as none are) and I am trying to figure out how to square the projector up with the screen. I have seen some folks use a laser distance measuring tool on each side of the PJ to get distance and rotate the screen/PJ a necessary.

I have a painted wall screen (love it) and what i did was leave the mounting brackets only VERY slightly loose as so i could barely move the projector if i needed to . by twisting the projector very slightly it makes a big difference at the screen = perfect alignment

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Thanks - I will have to get one.

I am thinking I might get the Seymour Fixed Frame Center Stage XD - It looks like a nice weave that will allow close placement to LCR speakers without the need for an EQ or worrying about much sound reflection.

This is a nice choice too. I am mainly concerned about having a screen with a weave versus machine perforation.

I know SmX used to be a highly recommended screen, however, they do not exist anymore. I do like the Elite AcousticPro 4k, however, the product is described as a sheer weave and looks super tight (as if it won't let sound pass through easily). Their Web site says 1" is sufficient between speakers and the back of the screen. Also it looks like you can only get it in a curved screen. Can anyone chime in regarding this?

If money was not an object when considering Elite, Falcon, or Seymour what is going to be the best in terms of balance between low SPL and light pass-through but great picture without much notice of texture on the screen.
I have heard that the Falcon, and Seymour are the same screen material. I have demoed the Seymour at home (they will send you a sample if you ask), and I compared it to my Jamestown screen @12' and I could not see any weave at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Alright, better late than never, right?

Decided to go with the 120" diagnol Seymour AV AT Center Stage XD fixed frame screen. I love it and can't see the weave at around 10-12 feet (where the seats are).

I have yet to fully calibrate the PJ, however, I am happy enough right now with the picture that it projects. If anything I would like to get a sharper picture as I feel it is too soft or out of focus a bit, however, this could be some of the content I am watching as some movies look crystal clear.

I went with the UIW RLS II in wall speakers by Definitive Technology. I had looked at the Triad speakers, however, they were heavy, large, and expensive. I am sure I would have been thrilled with the sound from them, however, the Def Techs get the job done. I can tell that the clarity of the sound is a bit muffled when using the screen over the center channel. It really isn't too bad though.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts