Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all my HT gurus:
I have a Bose Lifestyle 28 Series 3 DVD Home Entertainment system (5.1). The Bose speakers are mounted on the ceiling. I would like to hook up the speakers and the subwoofer to a Yamaha RX-V475 receiver. Do you see any issues doing this? Will this receiver be compatible with these speakers/sub? Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If the speakers have normal two wire connections and the sub has its own line level input (rca) you should be good to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony- Thanks soooo much for the quick response. The speaker wire can easily be spliced and connected to a non-Bose receiver. The subwoofer has a proprietary cable and it doesn't look like there is any way to connect the subwoofer to a non-bose receiver. Also, do I have to be concerned about the ohms of the Bose speakers versus ohms limitations on the receiver? thanks again.
Kenbola

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Given the size of the Bose satellite speakers, no I would not worry about the Ohms on them. My concern is the so called sub if it does not have a normal input then you wont be able to use it.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Size of the speakers has no bearing on their impedance or sensitivity.
Having said that it is unlikely the Bose satellites are hard to drive.
It will be interesting to find out what you think of the sound once you replace the electronics and Acoustimass module.
Whatever engineering went into the speakers was for all the pieces to work as a system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spoke to Bose technician. The Lifestyle system (speakers and acoustimass module) are not designed to separate out the speakers from the rest of the system. The speakers need the feed from the acoustimass module. He says u can TRY and use the speakers with another receiver, but no guarantees it will work or how long the speakers will last. There are some bose 5.1 speakers designed for use with non-bose receiver but they are stand alone speaker systems.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have used Bose cubes w other AVR's in several installs...for whatever reason .... they all worked well but I made sure to set the x-over at 120hz... your better off not using to Acoustimass module unless its one of the older ones with RCA input... I have hacked into one that didnt and its a pain but can be done... That being said of course the Bose tech is going to tell you that their speaker system is proprietary.... but we know it just aint so :D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
For the time and effort you will put into trying to get the bose to work with your yamaha I think you would be better off just getting some decent used bookshelf speakers. They would probably sound better too. I have the bose 321 system in my living room because of the wife not wanting a bigger system and I wouldn't want to use them any other way. Just my 2 cents, Good luck..:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for your input. As an installer- I now know it isn't worth it trying to make my customer's bose speakers "work" with another receiver. For now we are going to use his current system- use an optical (toslink) cable and a procontrol remote. that's the latest- will keep you posted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I once had a Bose Lifestyle 1-2-3 system due to its wife acceptance factor (small footprint, esp. the cubes). I had bought it as a replacement for a cheap'n dirty Sony 5.1 home system, so the sound was really better. But there were software issues and power line hum even when the system was turned off due to the acoustic mass module that could not be turned off completely.
That was my chance to return it to the dealer, so I bought a Harman Kardon AVR 235 plus JBL Beta HCS Speakers, instead. And even if that AVR and the boxes were not top of the line then, the system sounded still much better than Bose. True, the Cubes sound way bigger than they are. But I believe now that all the DSP-genereated psychoacoustic wizardry by Bose can never fully make up for the qualities of well made speakers and decent setup AVRs/Processors/Amps.
The conventional Harman-Kardon/JBL 5.1 system was less expensive, by the way. Plus, its blue-lit volume dial appealed to my spouse, too.
I've never regretted leaving Bose, even though I upgraded my system a bit by now…
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree totally. But Bose cubes still win when you are mounting 5.1 speakers on wall and u want little cute speakers and cant do flush mount in wall. No one else has small cubes even to this day.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've had a Bose lifestyle 12 system that lasted me for the past 14years, it finally died a couple months back. I then decided to try and pair them with a Yamaha rx573 and they just didn't sound the same. So instead of paying $3500 for a new lifestyle system I decided to go a different route and ultimately I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good info and true.
But if u or ur wife NEEDS small how do u beat Bose. Ps i am not a bose fan nor a bose hater.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm definitely not a hater either, as I said I had one for 14 years and loved it. I just have something much better now and half the price and three times the sound. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I admire Bose for how they achieve that much sound out of so small speakers. They're superior in this field. But ultimately, those sophisticated psychoacoustic techniques can only partially substitute for what bigger well-built speakers can offer. It's a in a similar to compressed audio files. Even if Fraunhofer institute found out that most people don't even hear the lost frequencies, lossless or analog audio sounds different.
So I'd decided that if I'm to spend more than 2000,-€ on an audio system to give the highest priority to its audio characteristics and only the second highest priority to its optical appeal. But every one his own, of course. One has to decide and sometimes to even sacrifice part of ones goals...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Bose cubes w other AVR's in several installs...for whatever reason .... they all worked well but I made sure to set the x-over at 120hz... your better off not using to Acoustimass module unless its one of the older ones with RCA input... I have hacked into one that didnt and its a pain but can be done... That being said of course the Bose tech is going to tell you that their speaker system is proprietary.... but we know it just aint so :D
Please Sir. Share with me how you hacked the system. My son and I were in the garage tinkering and this unit is driving us crazy. We're amateurs. Havin fun experimenting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts