Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing around here a long time and it seems that BOSE speakers have a bad rap...
My only complaint is that, I haven't seen anything else that can compete with the bose sound/size.

Maybe I am a noob.......I have some pretty small Energy speakers.. but I have heard some friends bose speakers and they make my Energys cringe..... and my energy speakers are probably twice the size.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi panaman, yes Bose speakers are not Ideal and tbh are expensive for what they are, although they are fairly capable for such small speakers, I owned a pair many years ago and they appealed to me because of there size...it is only when you get to listen to full range speakers do you then realise how much sound you are really losing and I could not settle for anything less now.

If you are looking for a discrete install and WAF comes into it then a lot of people do choose BOSE because of this, although I would be more inclined to go for inwall speakers if I had the choice.

Edit: If you want small then the MKSound Xenon range would be a better choice as it has superior sound to BOSE imo

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the tip...
do you know where one would be able to hear a set of MKSound Xenon

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sux..... there are none close to me

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Have a look at this post here as it explains why Bose and other products like them are not ideal.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think the big thing is that Bose cube speakers and ones like them are not full range systems as they have a big hole in the frequency response between about 150Hz and 300Hz and do not go lower than 40Hz with the bass cube.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
exactly, they can sound impressive for there size but there are better solutions availible with all the frequency range intact...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If I had access to some I would put them through REW and that would tell a very clear story.
Back in the 80's The Bose 901, 801's and so forth were actually very nice sounding speakers the problem was that they were WAY over priced for what they were and you needed that stupid proprietary Bose EQ with them for them to work properly .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ya canna change the laws of physics, Jim!

Even if the small Bose speakers were well engineered (which they're not), made from quality components (which they're not) and reasonably priced (which they're not), you can't get around the limitations imposed by their size.

If you have to go with smallish speakers, look at offerings from Ascend and SVS. I use the Ascend HTM 200's for rear surround in my HT and they're really nice sounding speakers. I tested them as mains in a sub/sat configuration and was impressed at how good they can sound. I've also read some good reviews of the small SVS speakers. Contrary to Bose, they are well designed, well built and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Paradigm Atoms or Definitive's small speakers are much more impressive. Better quality, better performance, better price.

Bose is marketed towards the generation of consumers who couldn't figure out how to set the clock on their VCRs (Baby Boomers).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Just like Doug said, "Ya canna change the laws of physics, Jim!" :)

Sound in general is essentially just a movement of air (over generalization, probably) but size does matter. Is size everything? No, but again the tiny jewel cubes that Bose has and their Bass module simply cannot move that much air so they sacrifice on certain aspects, i.e. high and low end of the frequency spectrum.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So most of the reasons why we rant against Bose have already been stated. If you want to see something in detail, this site does a pretty good job.

If you NEED to go small, I've heard Orb speakers are pretty decent. They're still expensive IMO, but not the outright robbery that Bose is and they're supposed to be better.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Sadly, there is a reason that there is an adage; no highs, no lows, must be Bose. The Intellexual thread about Bose really hammers home why so many audio lovers are not fans of Bose.

My personal biggest issue is that they seem to spend more on marketing and litigation than they do on engineering. They are doing a stellar job as millions are brainwashed that Bose equates with great sound.

I do have an issue with people who insult those who own their wares just the same. AVSForum is downright nasty to most anyone who says that they own Bose. This is not the way to help an individual make a different decision in the future. It is just at the prices that Bose Systems go for, it is extremely easy to provide alternatives which are far more faithful to the source signal.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Other small speakers that should outperform Bose at a fraction of the price:
RBH CT Series
Audioengine P4 (A2 is you don't need to get to Rock&Roll dBs)
PSB LR1

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I know of many people who are more than happy with there Bose speakers and although they enjoy watching movies they have no intention of changing them because it satisfies there needs for what they want, there is a market clearly for them and that is the way it is, but when you want more then that is when you understand the limits of Bose systems, that is why it is great to have forums like this so we can give advice to prospective buyers and let them know the facts of why so many people are put off by them and there limits...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tonight will be interesting. We're having some friends over for movie night. One of my friends has a living room home theater setup with some sort of Bose system for the sound. He asked me what kind of sound system I had. How do you explain? Saying I've got Ascends with an SVS subwoofer means absolutely nothing to the general populace. If it's not in the big box store, it doesn't exist.

I'm interested in his impressions. I'm certainly not interested in "converting" him, and the last thing I'd do is point out the defeciencies of the Bose he owns. Furthermore, his system may be perfectly adequate for his needs. He and his wife have a very tastefully decorated living room and the speakers in my dedicated HT would be out of place in his home.

Of course I think he could buy a system that would be scarcely more noticeable, but think of the effort involved to find it. The closest decent audio store is 85 miles away in Atlanta. He, as most of my friends, would be clueless about how to hunt down decent audio on the web. You're not likely to hunt down something you don't know even exists. If, after his visit tonight, he asked about how to get better sound, I'll point him in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Doug, hopefully this will be illustrative to the gathered masses. I would imagine feeling and listening to true low frequency information will be an epiphany to your friends.

Look forward to hearing their comments.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I always love seeing the look on peoples faces as they feel there cloths literally vibrate on their body when they are at our house for the first time to see a movie, their smile says it all:bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts