Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Bose theater system really the best? seems like the people in my area believe so. I in most aspects figure its high cost because of the name. Am I just oblivious and can't justify the cost of Bose, or is my point of view valid at all? Just curious.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
There are a lot of people that would agree and say you are paying for the name. The final decision though is whether you like the sound and the features offered for the asking price.
I would certainly set a price on what I was willing to pay and then look around at what is available and listen to each of them.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I agree set your budget and listen to your options. Used speakers and equipment could help stretch your budget and get you a better sound for your dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Actually for audio/home theater enthusiasts Bose is not a highly regarded brand name.

How much do you want to spend and what equipment do you need to buy with that budget ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I will be less politically correct than the responses you have gotten so far. Bose will sound better than TV speakers. They will sound great to someone that has never heard a good quality stereo.

For the money, and compared to what else is available, their quality and performance is vastly inferior to what the same or less money can purchase.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I use to be a Bose owner. I had mine for 11 years and loved it, when it finally died I decided to see what else they had out there. Because to purchase a new one would have cost me close to $3000, which I was going to pay the price to get another one. But then it happened, I started checking out these forums and started hearing people tell me I could do much better for my money. So I asked for suggestions and purchased something completely different, and let me tell you what. My feelings for Bose have changed, they are a lot less superior than even some of the cheaper setups you can buy. I bought a Yamaha receiver and some Andrew Jones speakers, along with a PSA XV15 for my sub and I'm extremely happy. And the best part is I only maybe played $1500 for the whole setup. I'll never be a Bose customer again, but if you don't know any better you would more than likely be happy with it. Like they say around here a lot: Ignorance is Bliss!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is Bose theater system really the best? seems like the people in my area believe so. I in most aspects figure its high cost because of the name. Am I just oblivious and can't justify the cost of Bose, or is my point of view valid at all? Just curious.
Well... yes and no.
It is the best if you've not tried anything else. Or if being discrete / invisible is a priority over sound quality, then I guess it is one of the "better" systems out there.
But more often than not, for a lot less money it is possible to get a complete system which has much "fuller" cleaner sound.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yea, way way way overpriced.... 100% paying for the name

Like stated many that buy their stuff think its the best there is thus they pony up

Those that have been able to listen to and look at other products quickly see how poor bose products are

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Bose unfortunately has alot of folwers mainly because of the Hype and great sales pitches. what they dont tell you is they sound really bad if you compare it to something in the same price range. Have a look here and you will understand why we discourage people from buying them.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Bose designs systems to sound like they sound like a good system (to the uninitiated). I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but (to me) neither does recommending Bose.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Like all systems there's pro/con

Pro:
Small footprint
Easy setup
No complex choices to make
Okay sound
Amazing customer support!

Con:
Limited in expandability outside of Bose brand
Proprietary connections.
Priced relatively high for what you get but certainly cheaper than some options.
Bass extension is lacking and highs are rolled off too much for many people's tastes.

Really it's your call. Most enthusiasts wont recommend them but I'll say this. Their 1sr sound bar is impressive and I'd get my mom a 321 and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
We really do try not to bash the Bose brand here, it is tempting though. I do agree that doing a bit of research will get you much nicer gear for the money.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am sure you meant to say that we don't bash Bose here, nor any other brand. Though we also do not bask in them. :ponder:

·
Registered
178 Posts
My first home-theater speakers where Bose about 15 years ago and I used to love them. There are a ton of options and I have upgraded and changed my system many times since then. I would look at all your options.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the input, I was mostly jut curious. It is extremely unlikely I would purchase Bose sound system

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Has anyone ever gone to a Bose outlet and asked if you could run REW and measure the systems performance?? I would really love to see them talk there way out of such.

I would like to see the response curve for one of there (high end) units.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Back in 1993-ish, the Bose Accoustimass AM5 system was my first system. I still own and use it to this day (as my bedroom set). I have no experience with anything newer from Bose.
My Bose system was made with very high qaulity parts and assembled very well. It was and still is very solid. The speaker cover fabric is very durable, the speaker cabinets very rigid and heavy, the connections still very tight.
The sound of the Bose is not accurate sounding, but it is very good sounding (good as in 'pleasant on the ears', the same way make-up can make an ugly woman 'pleasant on the eyes'), very warm, similar to how vinyl and analog equipment is described. It makes bad recordings sound good. Not fatiguing at all, these can play very loud all day.

Here are a few of my comments in other posts from a few years ago:

Comments on construction and sound:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/36281-bose-quality-3.html#post412978

Comments regarding the myth of 'chunks of missing frequencies':
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/36281-bose-quality-4.html#post413328

Comments from my frequency testing and attached frequency response graph:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/36281-bose-quality-4.html#post414246

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
There much older stuff is wood and I feel the build quality was OK not what I would call good. The plastic ones are the last thing I would consider calling good quality as in my eyes plastic is not something I would want for a speaker cabinet.

Spring clips are not a very good way to secure a wire and for what they charge they could at least give you a simple binding post it does not cost that much.

The frequency response is OK but as you measured is not good when you look at the cost of there setup. Being down 5db or so may not be what you would call missing but to me that is very noticeable and in the range that dip is there is a lot of information.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts