Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of a stock preamp assembled from the kit.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You know me, I can't leave anything stock. So, here is the working side of what becomes a slightly modified version.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chassis above I fitted into this custom cabinet. The side posts actually hold the top chassis on.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next I built a fully custom version using point to point wiring but staying true to the schematic.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This custom chassis I mounted in a one off cabinet. The knobs I machined from billet aluminum.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The next mod I did was to replace the volume pots with stepped attenuators and replace the output caps.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not one to let well enough alone, I re-stained the cabinet in a dark mahogany.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even more mods. This time a whole new chassis.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dual volume attenuators gave way to a stereo attenuator using 1% Dale resistors. I also added the Camille Cascode Constant Current Source (little PC boards). This is a high impedance current limit circuit for preamp and driver tubes, designed by John Camille.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And finally from the back.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
You always have great mod threads. It would be nice to know why you decided on each change & what difference you perceived afterwards. Nice, neat work.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top