Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the DIY world of subwoofers and I want to design a sealed box for a single CSS SDX15". I listen to movies and music 50/50.

I am wondering if a better sealed box would be made of MDF or Plywood (and reasons).

Also, I am considering designing it to be a downfiring subwoofer. This is mostly because I have young children with lots of curiosity. Would this subwoofer sound good in a downfiring configuration (versus front firing)?

Anyway...there are so many knowledgable folks on this website. I hope you can offer me some feedback. Thanks very much for all of your help! This site is such a great resource....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. If I do a downfiring setup, what should the clearance be between the bottom of the subwoofer box (driver) and the floor? I am assuming it would not be a good idea to have it setting too close to the floor due to excursion. The sub enclosure will be sitting on a carpet floor.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
4 inches is a popular distance. It's enough to allow the sub to move the air unrestricted. As for the MDF plywood debate, they both have their pros and cons. If the cabinet is built well braced so there are no vibrations, then there's not much difference between the two. Base your decision on how you want to finish the sub.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for all your responses. I decided on a single CSS SDX15. I am going to set the sub up for downfiring. Do I need a magnet brace if the driver is sitting in the downfiring position?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Plywood is nice for the weight and the durability but you have to brace it a lot. MDF makes a cleaner flatter uniform finish and it is more dead so you dont need as much bracing, but cutting it is pretty nasty, it makes a lot of dust and it gave me some kind of asthma for a week even with a mask worn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts