Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering did anyone have any plans or designs that will instruct on how to build or construct a box on this great driver. Like the dimensions, size ports I need and how long they need to be. I just want the box tune to 18hz or 20hz and maybe in nothing bigger than 6.3cu box size.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Justin,

Use a 3.5 cubic foot box, with a slot port (area around 19 in^2, 28" long) with 40oz. polyfill and use my recommended 500W plate amp. You don't need any larger box than that with the Shiva-X2 unless you want to tune deeper. That gives you an awesome sub of moderate size and cost that could be used easily with 500W-1000W amplifier without port restrictions or over-driving the sub.

If it were me, I'd use 3/4" MDF for all external material, 1/2" MDF for the internal shelf for the slot port and bracing. I'd have box dimensions 17" W x 24" H x 22" D and I'd down-fire the Shiva-X2, and fire the port towards the rear over top the amp cut-out. I'd make the port 15.5" wide x 1.25" tall (use a 3/4" + 1/2" piece of MDF glued together as a spacer to make sure you get the port consistent from front-rear). The port is going to need to wrap around the front because the cabinet depth is only 22" so you will have to figure out how much and just wrap it down the front of the enclosure (about 8").

Internal volume has to be 3.5 cubic feet WITHOUT counting the port volume, bracing or driver. If you down-fire the driver, you need about 3" of clearance on the bottom for the driver (making the sub effectively 27" tall).

I don't have time to draw something up but use the ole napkin, draw all the dimensions and just use butt-joints for all the MDF. Figuring out all that stuff is part of the fun.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did sumulation with BassBoxPro, at 6.3cu (i.e. 178 Liters) I get F3=17.46 with tuning freq=19Hz (if tune freq is 16Hz F3 is the same but there is a drop in the response under 25Hz), port dia is 4" length 11.7", here the shots:

and here the port vent air velocity appears too high, even though port dia is 4":

I think a high pass filter at 17Hz will protect the sub good.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright thanks for the help Kevin and I have one more question, what type of cutouts do I use for the internal shelf and when creating a slot port vs round port, I just use the external box as the port, so do I still use pvc material to cover the slot.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Alright thanks for the help Kevin and I have one more question, what type of cutouts do I use for the internal shelf and when creating a slot port vs round port, I just use the external box as the port, so do I still use pvc material to cover the slot.
The port goes inside the enclosure. This is just like my Tempest slot port design but you have to make the slot port longer due to the smaller enclosure. It is rectangular, 15.5" x 1.25" x 28" long. Since the enclosure is shorter than 28" you have to bend it at the front so extend it to the proper 28" length. If you keep the internal volume at 3.5 cubic foot, and the port dimensions the same, the rest of the dimensions can change to suit your individual situation. None of the braces matter much in terms of location, size, and configuration but you have to account for them in the internal volume.

I'm not sure what you mean by PVC material. This is all MDF and you are making the port part of the enclosure.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh I understand now, when I was talking about pvc, I was thinking about a round port where you have to stick a pipe in the whole but I see when u do a slot port, u just have a slot that opens towards the middle of your design. Yep I just look at your tempest-x2 design. I was thinking of the internal shelf, so when I put the internal shelf in there, should it be located horizontal in the middle of the box if I decide to keep it front firing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kevin,

Since I'm a beginner in subwoofer construction, would you be able to get us a MDF cut sheet on this build for the Shiva-X2 with the front slot port. I like the ideal that it would be smaller that 6^ft3. You mentioned somewhere in the ballpark of 3.5^ft3, that would be perfect for the WAF! I mainly would use the sub with HT movie entertainment with little music usage, say 80/20. Also, you recommend the oaudio amp or the PE 500amp for a build like this? I also like the BASH 500, but have not heard much about that amp being used on a Shiva-X2. The BASH 500 is a little cheaper on PE right now. I thank you for any effort and time in this build.

Cheers, Todd

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Kevin,

Since I'm a beginner in subwoofer construction, would you be able to get us a MDF cut sheet on this build for the Shiva-X2 with the front slot port. I like the ideal that it would be smaller that 6^ft3. You mentioned somewhere in the ballpark of 3.5^ft3, that would be perfect for the WAF! I mainly would use the sub with HT movie entertainment with little music usage, say 80/20. Also, you recommend the oaudio amp or the PE 500amp for a build like this? I also like the BASH 500, but have not heard much about that amp being used on a Shiva-X2. The BASH 500 is a little cheaper on PE right now. I thank you for any effort and time in this build.

Cheers, Todd
I give general guidelines in the App notes and that is about as much as I can do. The rest is just building a box so it is as simple as sitting down and drawing it out on a napkin and cutting wood.

Do not use the BASH 500 unless you want to re-solder the main board (and void any warranty). Stick with the recommended amp.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
13 Posts
I give general guidelines in the App notes and that is about as much as I can do. The rest is just building a box so it is as simple as sitting down and drawing it out on a napkin and cutting wood.

Do not use the BASH 500 unless you want to re-solder the main board (and void any warranty). Stick with the recommended amp.
Kevin,

Sounds good. I thought the PE 500 plate was a better amp for the Shiva or Tempest because of the mods not needed on the PE. I think I'll build one with the slot port that exits above the plate amp in the rear of the box like you mentioned. Now, I can just extend the port by basically creating a "L" inside of the box if the box is too short in depth, correct? Look forward to using your products soon on this build.

Cheers, Todd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh I understand now, when I was talking about pvc, I was thinking about a round port where you have to stick a pipe in the whole but I see when u do a slot port, u just have a slot that opens towards the middle of your design. Yep I just look at your tempest-x2 design. I was thinking of the internal shelf, so when I put the internal shelf in there, should it be located horizontal in the middle of the box if I decide to keep it front firing.
SM1025,

I am going to design something for this build with the Shiva and the PE500. Would you like to collaborate on this build and brainstorm some ideas? Let me know...:D

Todd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, I have a design. I will work on the final dimensions and get a final cutsheet together for the 3.5ft^3 Shiva-X2 slot port box.

Question for Kevin,

Based off of WinISD, if you narrow the slot port from the 15.5" x 1.25" to a new dimension of 15.5" x 1.00" that reduces the length of the port to 22". Is this a good ideal to do for this build. A 1" inch slot, that sounds kinda small. Bare with me as I'm learning the WinISD app for designs...

I thought that reducing the port size (1.00") would make the port increase in length not decrease, why is this? :scratch:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been Awhile....but have a new JOB and my work schedule is demanding right now with MBA classes as well. Hopefully I will get time to sit and design my Shiva-X slot-port box and start construction in the spring. In the mean time I have to dig myself out of 23" of snow from last nights storm...:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts