Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay right now i got my 15 tc 3000 in 5ft^3 sealed and the output is lacking, its being powered by a dayton rack amp. my room is really small and its just not cutting it for me. it seems to have a roll off on anything above 45hz i know my box is a tad big but i dont have enough power to get this sub moving. i was thinking 4.5ft^26hz after displacement. if someone can help me model the box or help with new box suggestions. i defiantly want to go ported because of efficiency.

i also have the box placed in my closet corner loaded to say

TSP's
Qts 0.308
Qes 0.324
Qms 6.10
Fs 22hz
Res 4.63Ω
Ls 9.2 mH
Lp 20.2mH
Rp 27.66Ω
Dia 325mm
Vas 146l
mms 373g
cms 140um/N
bl 27.1T*m
Spl 88.6dB

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Some more information would be helpful to answer your question. A roll off of the high frequencies is not typically a characteristic of a sealed subwoofer so I think something else might be afoot. Let me ask you some questions.

What kind of amp are you using?

You say it seems to roll off above 45hz? Does that mean that it has enough deep bass but is lacking in the higher mid bass?

What is the crossover set at and what kind of receiver are you using? Are you using any kind of eq?

Are the closet doors open while listening?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some more information would be helpful to answer your question. A roll off of the high frequencies is not typically a characteristic of a sealed subwoofer so I think something else might be afoot. Let me ask you some questions.

What kind of amp are you using?

You say it seems to roll off above 45hz? Does that mean that it has enough deep bass but is lacking in the higher mid bass?

What is the crossover set at and what kind of receiver are you using? Are you using any kind of eq?

Are the closet doors open while listening?
lower frequences are there as u said,
this amp
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-810

as of set frequencies on the amp im still playing with it but i cannot get anything above 45hz. im using a panasonic reciever idk the model # but i do plan to change recievers soon.

and i dont have a eq and i most likely wont get one due to money issues right now. im going to make a new test tones cd and try again on setting everything up. but the sub is most defiantly not getting enough power. it barely moves. so i would just rather go ported all together.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
had a buddy model me a box on winsid since i deleted mine cause it was acting up

The box is 5.38 before displacement.
With (3) 4" x 17" precision ports it will be tuned at 30Z. With extra poly fill or acoustic foam on the inside you will get 24-25hz. So heres a image with yellow sealed and going ported in blue. Increase is dramatic.

link not working

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I have to agree with thxgoon. Something is not right here. From looking at other sealed 15" TC300 builds and the results, there should not be a roll off above 45 hz. There is an issue here with the sub, the amp or the receiver. From the pics you posted, did you do the recone yourself?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to agree with thxgoon. Something is not right here. From looking at other sealed 15" TC300 builds and the results, there should not be a roll off above 45 hz. There is an issue here with the sub, the amp or the receiver. From the pics you posted, did you do the recone yourself?
its not the sub forsure and defiantly not the amp. it has to be my reciever i just got it back a few days ago, well im pretty sure its my reciever it was acting up a few minutes ago. im going to be safe and sure and get a new reciever asap. but most people from what ive seen on here have had more power and smaller box.

no i didnt :( sent it to a guy i know.

this sub on bass I love you gets my walls shaking something fierce. im talking about when it gets below 20hz i believe what they tested that track to see how low it plays. ill try ang get you guys a vid.

im not too sure how to set my eq on the amp tho. just playing with it as i go along

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
but the sub is most defiantly not getting enough power. it barely moves. so i would just rather go ported all together.
This is normal. Higher frequnecies do not require the kind of cone excursion that lower frequencies do. Ported enclosures act like sealed boxes at higher frequencies so a ported box is not going to solve your problem all else being equal. Also, tuning at 26hz as you have modeled will reduce the amount of sub 20hz output compared to the sealed design.

What kind of speakers are you using? Have you tried moving the sub out of the closet to other areas of the room? Does that amp have a phase switch on it?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Here is some modeling. To keep the air speed acceptable the port needs to be 8" diameter and 38.5" long. Or a slot port 2" by 25" the same length. Both models are with 1000 watts input power and a 3rd order subsonic filter at 18 hz which is what your amp has. If the Xmax of 30mm is correct, you run out of power before you reach Xmax. Cone excursion on the sealed is 26mm at 22 hz, and ported is 25mm at 17.5 hz. The ported box is 4.5 cu.ft. net. You have to add displacement for the sub, bracing and the port.

tc3000.JPG

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm no braniac & I'm going from memory from the TC Sounds website, but that thing has the potential to rattle your walls. That motor DRINKS power & that box is on the smallish side for a 15. The Dayton rack mount amp has been tested to put out almost half the power of it's rated power. The 3000 needs 1500-2000 watts to get it to move properly,& it really needs eq to tame the peaky nature of that motor (it has very high inductance). That being said, if you can solve your possible receiver issue & maybe try & afford a BFD you could be rewarded with something special.:hsd:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys read through all the responces, well my reciever was the problem, for some reason the sub out stopped working, would fade in and out finally just gave. so i will be getting a new one, as for box im having a [email protected] with 60 sq inches of port. i know i dont have enough power for this thing but honestly it will have to do for now, down the line i will upgrade the power. and as for the dayton amp rack puttin out 1/2 the power i wasnt aware of this. when i searched it all i got was good words no test results, if i would have known this i wouldnt have bought the thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh and as of placing it somewhere else besides the closet i just dont see it possible with the big box, ill get you guys pics of placement asap just to give u a general idea of why im placing it there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts