Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
From a purely strength standpoint, round "corners" are stronger than square corners.

But seriously, we are talking sub boxes here...what exactly are you bracing against? How much pressure do you think even a huge 21" speaker is producing inside a box, that you need oak 1 by 4 for?

Bracing is *mostly* for stability and resonance issues...not because the box is going to have elephants stomp on it, hold up a house, or control a small C-4 blast!

Sure, I've seen boxes "blow up" before, but that's because they were made by retarded kids that think you can run 10,000 watts off a stock alternator, and that box + hole + speaker = bass.

Boxes don't need to be 1000lbs and 3 layers thick all around. Sure it helps, but a better design beats overbuilding any day.

On a lighter note, overbuilding is easier and takes less thought. I know I've done it myself when it was just easier to way overbuild then to think out the best plan.
How is using oak bracing overbuilding? Also you bring a good point about rounding corner. The best way to do this is to use dado joints and some corner round. It let's you use preveneered wood and then all you have to do is paint or finish and you have a nice box. Part of a good design is using appropriate bracing.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.