Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use 1x4 lengths (fir) for enclosure bracing? I notice most people use the same material as their enclosure and then cut out holes/windows.....can 1x4's be used instead? Glued together to make "crosses" and then secured inside?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Is it better to make a cross or can you also miter the ends at 45's and angle them in a series from corner to corner?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Thanks guys. Is it better to make a cross or can you also miter the ends at 45's and angle them in a series from corner to corner?
The corners are the stiffest part of the enclosure. What you are trying to do is stop the sidewalls from flexing.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Can you use 1x4 lengths (fir) for enclosure bracing? I notice most people use the same material as their enclosure and then cut out holes/windows.....can 1x4's be used instead? Glued together to make "crosses" and then secured inside?
I think most people use the same material... just because that's what's on hand.

That's what I do anyway... :)

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
If the box allready weighs that much 20Lbs. won't make a differance.:bigsmile: I also do what Jim does and use left over pieces of scrap and cut off material, it works out good and less waste that way.:T

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the box allready weighs that much 20Lbs. won't make a differance.:bigsmile: I also do what Jim does and use left over pieces of scrap and cut off material, it works out good and less waste that way.:T
Adding 20% more weight is a lot of difference to me. Its the difference between me being able to easily move it around myself, lift it higher then my head if need be, etc etc.... 1/5th the weight is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Allright, i guess i'm just used to the fact that know matter what unless you systimaticaly design the enclosure to be light there is gonna be some weight to it.:T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts