Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS it recommended to brace the port tube inside the enclosure? I will be using a 4" Precision Port around 15" long. Should this be braced in some way within the box and not just attached by the screws on the outer flared end. I would imagine a port tube could move/vibrate around quite a bit in the box.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Ya, for longer round ports it's a good idea to brace them otherwise they can buzz at some frequencies. They don't need much to get the job done. In my full-rangers I used a wad of polyfill between the port and the adjacent wall of the box, if you go that route be sure there's no fill restricting the end of the port. Another idea is to use a block and a dab of glue to brace a port.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Ya, for longer round ports it's a good idea to brace them otherwise they can buzz at some frequencies. They don't need much to get the job done. In my full-rangers I used a wad of polyfill between the port and the adjacent wall of the box, if you go that route be sure there's no fill restricting the end of the port. Another idea is to use a block and a dab of glue to brace a port.
So you braced it by using polyfil between the port and wall? Interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Ya, used a wad of it as a cushion. This is in my towers, my monkey coffin avatar, between the port and the bottom wall. A little fill in the end of the long dimension of a tall tower has other benefits for a full range speaker, also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts