Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on building some larger and slanted enclosures soon. I typically biscuit join and clamp, but I don't have enough clamps for my next enclosure. And some the angles will make it hard to apply even pressure with clamps.

Is a brad nailer a substitute for clamps? I imagine I could use just one or two clamps to make sure nothing moves then put some brads in it. Will the brads have the same holding pressure as clamps?

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I glued and used a finish nailgun on my build with out any clamps. I mainly did it, so I could continue building without waiting for the glue to dry. Everything feels pretty solid to me.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
This method will work just fine. I prefer a Kreg Jig when possible as it forces right angles, but it isn't possible to use in all circumstances. As long as there is sufficient clamping pressure as the glue dries there will be no issues.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This method will work just fine. I prefer a Kreg Jig when possible as it forces right angles, but it isn't possible to use in all circumstances. As long as there is sufficient clamping pressure as the glue dries there will be no issues.
I googled "Kreg Jig" and all I get is a pocket-hole jigs. How does this force a right angle? Seems like it just forces whatever angle the edge has.

So I can assume that brads/finish nails driven by pneumatic gun apply enough effective clamping pressure?
Thanks!

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
I googled "Kreg Jig" and all I get is a pocket-hole jigs. How does this force a right angle? Seems like it just forces whatever angle the edge has.
You are correct, I mistyped. Typically in a box you are searching for a perfect 90 degree edge so I over generalized. The Kreg Jig will allow for any joint to be made if used properly, but presuming the wood is flat will allow for easy perfect 90 degree angles.

So I can assume that brads/finish nails driven by pneumatic gun apply enough effective clamping pressure?
Thanks!
Indeed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Will the brads have the same holding pressure as clamps?
No, but if your panels are properly cut and aren't severely warped they'll do. I build all my cabs with brads and/or narrow crown staples, and as often as not I don't even use clamps. OTOH I also use urethane based adhesives exclusively, as they expand to fill gaps as they cure.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderful, thanks for the feedback. It will be nice not having to wait a day to route the edges clean and start to bondo :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts