Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For Any One that is interested in Building there own PRO LOOKING :bigsmile: Corner Mounted BroadBand Bass Traps take A look down A few posts for Some Ideas and What I came UP with.....

I went with Ultratel 50mm thick 1200x2400 semi rigid fiberglass for my bass traps the packs came in lots of 3 sheets per pack, it's very pricey at A retail price of over $300 per pack :yikes:, I was luckily able to get the Ultratel direct from bradfords :bigsmile:.... I made my Bass traps 8ft high X 690mm wide and 6in thick (3 layers),I put them across the corners so ended up with an air gap being 16in out from the wall corner to the front of the trap's.. Here are some pictures of the front Bass traps.....

Hope this helps....

Cheers.....

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Re: Bass trap questions

I went with Ultratel 50mm thick 1200x2400 semi rigid fiberglass for my bass traps the packs came in lots of 3 sheets per pack, it's very pricey at A retail price of over $300 per pack :yikes:,
That is expensive!!..I got the 50mm. Supertel sheets for about $60.00 each..

I made my Bass traps 8ft high X 690mm wide and 6in thick (3 layers),I put them across the corners so ended up with an air gap being 16in out from the wall corner to the front of the trap's.. Here are some pictures of the front Bass traps.....
So all three layers were 690mm. wide?..That would leave quite a gap between the panels and the corner..
I don't know if that would be beneficial or detrimental to the performance of the traps,considering that the wedge type traps are right in the corner..
Brian might be able to throw some light on that..

Hope this helps... It appears that my 1024x768 jpeg pictures will not upload it thinks they are 1200x1000 :foottap: Works fine on AVS...
I normally load photos at 800x600 without a problem..You might have to resize them..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)

Hi PROF, For A pack of 3 Ultratel 1200x2400 x50mm (2in) thick is over $300au retail but I did'nt pay that Direct from CSR Bradfords, Bradfords wont deal direct to the public only Trade or suppliers.... the Specs for 50mm Ultratel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz, while 50mm Supertel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz... So if you X that by 3 (150mm thick) Ultratel is the way to go for this type of Bass traps...

Own's Corning 2" plain 705 is 6.0pcf,96kg/m3 and [email protected] 125hz..
The Same Own's Corning plain 2" 705 with A 16" air gap is [email protected] 125hz, so as you can see with A 16" air gap from the wall 705's performance is more than 3 times better than flat on A wall....

To up the efficiency/performance of these type of corner bass traps An air gap is A must......Also noted in the fourth Edition of Master Handbook of Acoustics... Thankyou for the tip for uploading photos Prof

Here is A 750x562 picture of my front Corner Bass traps....

Cheers....

Corner Bass Traps.JPG

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I first made A frame 690mm wide x just under 8ft high, I covered the front with 1 large piece of Black speaker grill cloth doubled up for each Bass trap so I had no fabric joins, and for the back I used doubled up white open weave stuff like used under couches can't recall the name.. I used my air Staple gun with 80/10mm staples to attach the coverings...

To attach the Bass traps to the wall I used A stud wall hook right in the top corner of the wall and attached 2x 4mm Gauge 40mm length eye screws to the top left and right corners of the bass trap's, then used 12 KG picture frame wire to pull and hold the bass trap tight into the corners... I also made A stand for the bass traps to sit them on for added stability and authetics.... see the attached picture....

I purchased the black speaker grill cloth and white open weave fabric from Spotlight....The Fixings I got from Bunnings....

Hope this helps.....Cheers....

Bass Trap Bottom.JPG

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

Hi Jason..

Thanks for the detailed description of your bass traps..:T

the Specs for 50mm Ultratel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz, while 50mm Supertel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz... So if you X that by 3 (150mm thick) Ultratel is the way to go for this type of Bass traps...
Yes, I did see the specs. for the two types and the Ultratel is a denser, more compacted fibreglass..which tends me to believe that it would be more reflective than the Supertel..
But hey..if it's worked for you in your environment, then that's all that matters..

Own's Corning 2" plain 705 is 6.0pcf,96kg/m3 and [email protected] 125hz..
The Same Own's Corning plain 2" 705 with A 16" air gap is [email protected] 125hz, so as you can see with A 16" air gap from the wall 705's performance is more than 3 times better than flat on A wall....
I'm surprised that a 16" air gap could change the performance as much as that!

I'll have to incorporate that sort of air gap in my traps, and see if there's any improvement..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

I first made A frame 690mm wide x just under 8ft high, I covered the front with 1 large piece of Black speaker grill cloth doubled up for each Bass trap so I had no fabric joins, and for the back I used doubled up white open weave stuff like used under couches can't recall the name.. I used my air Staple gun with 80/10mm staples to attach the coverings...

To attach the Bass traps to the wall I used A stud wall hook right in the top corner of the wall and attached 2x 4mm Gauge 40mm length eye screws to the top left and right corners of the bass trap's, then used 12 KG picture frame wire to pull and hold the bass trap tight into the corners... I also made A stand for the bass traps to sit them on for added stability and authetics.... see the attached picture....
Sounds like a very effective design..well done..:T

I purchased the black speaker grill cloth and white open weave fabric from Spotlight....The Fixings I got from Bunnings....
I've bought numerous materials from Spotlight over the years, but I've never seen any grille cloth there..:scratch:
Are you sure it was grille cloth or something that looks like it?..
I recently bought a material from them that looks like grille cloth, which I'm using to cover some new acoustic panels..
It's called Black Polyester Stretch...It has the same open weave as grille cloth, but it's a fraction of the price, and comes in 1500mm. wide rolls..

BTW..I think that white material you're referring to is Dacron..

Some full shots of the finished traps would be nice to see..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Hi Prof, Thankyou for the kind words...

The Black speaker cloth I used from spotlight sounds simmilar to yours, Scott from spotlight Geelong orderd in A few rolls its called "Loud Speaker Meterial" original name :sarcastic: spotlights part No 1283123... and the roll is around 1400mm wide.. The problem is he is not back at the Geelong store untill tomorrow to confirm I was given the correct part No... I will post A picture of the white material I used on the rear of the front corner Bass traps Because its not Dacron, full shots of front bass traps as you requested....

Hope this Helps, Cheers...

Bass Trap rear Fabric.JPG

Front Bass Traps.JPG

Left Front Bass Trap.JPG

Right Front Bass Trap.JPG

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

I will post A picture of the white material I used on the rear of the front corner Bass traps Because its not Dacron, full shots of front bass traps as you requested....

Hope this Helps, Cheers...
Ah yes!..I see the white material is a type of netting, which is fitted to the back of the traps..
Obviously, this would allow sound waves to pass through without affecting the performance of the Ultratel, as opposed to a solid backing...Good idea..:T

I didn't have to worry about making my front traps look neat, because the're behind a screenwall..
I just stacked the raw panels in the corners, floor to ceiling and stapled black burlap across them..:bigsmile:

It looks like you've done a nice job on yours. :clap: .:T

I'll have to look up that material no. for the "speaker cloth" and see just what it is..
How much per metre did it cost?..The material I bought was only $9.95/M..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi PROF,
I have A young 6 year old son and 14 year old daughter so I wanted to make sure that none of the Glass fibers from the ultratel could escape and be air born ....

I just got off the phone from Scott of spotlight Geelong He said that if your spotlight store does'nt carry the Speaker Cloth that they can post it any where in Australia for $6.95...

The loom width of the speaker cloth is 1.5mt, PartNo 1283123 and $12.95mt....

Cheers.....

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

Hi PROF,
I have A young 6 year old son and 14 year old daughter so I wanted to make sure that none of the Glass fibers from the ultratel could escape and be air born ....
Generally it's pretty safe...It's only when you're cutting it that you need to cover up, not to get any on your skin..

I just got off the phone from Scott of spotlight Geelong He said that if your spotlight store does'nt carry the Speaker Cloth that they can post it any where in Australia for $6.95...

The loom width of the speaker cloth is 1.5mt, PartNo 1283123 and $12.95mt....
Thanks Jason...I'll see if I can find that part number online, but I'm not sure if Spotlight actually list their material numbers online..If not, I'll give my local shop a call..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Because I Had A day off I decided to Build Broad Band Bass Trap's For My Rear corners.. I thought It might be good to share with you all How I made Them...
So I took some step buy step photos to help...

To Make my Rear Corners,1770x640 Broad Band Bass Traps the following items is what I used....
CSR BRADFORDS ULTRATEL 2" 1200x2400 semi riged fiberglass cut in half to make 600 X4" thick.. "Must weare Gloves and mask"
2 mtrsx1500mm wide Speaker Grill Cloth (spotlight)
4mtrs Muslenx900mm wide (spotlight)
Wood Pine 2x2.4mtrsx90mmx19mm
8x 40mmx3.5"OD" screws
PVC Glue
80/10mm Bostitch Staples

The Tools I used...
2.4mt Straight Edge (for cutting Fiberglass)
Sharp long bladed stanely Knife or Sharp BREAD knife (any sharp knife will work)
Tape mesure
Makita LS 10.13 Slide Compound Saw
1/4in Trimmer (router)
1x small 1/4" roundover router bit
Air Stapler with 80/10 Staples
Compressor
Bench Drill for counter sink holes
Bosch power Drill
Dewalt 18v DrillDriver
Bosch random orbital sander with 240grit sand disk
Clamps 2x1mt and 4x 60mm

Broad Band Bass Trap Prep
First I measured and cut the 4 pieces of 90x19mm pine (per Bass Trap)
then I cut 4 small triangel corner pieces to give the frame Rigidity
marked out the 2x screw holes per side 8 total to drill with my bench drill (longest Piece)
Drill bit should be the size of the screws(3.5mm)..
lay out the pieces of frame (Dry Fit) clamp so flush and square and drill through the 8x pre drilled holes into the end pieces with A 2.5 to 3mm drill bit screw in screws as you drill each hole but not to tight...

Dissasemble and counter sink holes slightly
lay out frame reasemble one end (clamp) but leave one end out,Apply PVC Glue liberaly to this unasembled end on bothends of the join then clamp checking ends for flush/square and apply the scews tighten..
glue both surfaces liberaly and fit (clamp) 2 of the triangle peaces to the inside of the joins you just glued and screwed together..
Repeate the Same procedure at the other end..
Leave fram clamed to dry for 2 hours minumum..

Next sand the ends and triangle pieces flush as well as the sides/ends
Now route the outside edges top and bottom with A "small" round over Bit

Cut the semi rigid 605/supertel/Ultratel to the inside diamitor of the frame 1200x2400 cut in half=600mm x 4" thick using your straight edge and knife to score the semi rigid Fiberglass with 3 or 4 passes...
Next lay out the 1500wide speaker cloth in half +75mm on the floor taking care that the speaker cloth is folded well
lay the frame on top of the cloth making sure that the frame is equal distant at all sides top bottom, working along the sides strech the fabric up to the back of the frame working from the middle to the ends. The side affect of this will be that the fabric overhang at the ends will pull in A bit allowing us to get mor streach out of the fabric for the sides...

Start from the middel of one side and strech the cloth and staple onto the back of the frame with 3 or 4 staples 2" apart, go to the exact oposite side and do the same strech staple
to back 3-4 staples 2" apart (Dont over strech the fabric)
Repeat this procedure crossing over sides until you get 1" from the end leving that unstapled for now..
Repeat the same above procedure untill ether side is completed...

For the ends start from the middel streching the fabric to the back of the frame with 3-4 staples an inch or so Apart
Go to the corner and fold the fabric so you get A nice even fold and staple in place repeat this fo both corners of this end.. now working from the middel again Strech and staple the fabric to the back of the frame working to the corners (dont over strech fabric)...Repeat the procedure for the oposite end :eek:

Flip over your broad Band bass trap to check the fabric has no rinkels or flaws..

Now lay it back down so the Rigid fiberglass is facing up so the Muslin can be fitted to the back..

First get the 4mtrs x 900mm Muslim and fold it long was so it is now 2mtrs x900mm (doubled up)
lay it over the back of the fiberglass so it is at equal distent all the way around besides the end with the fold in the Muslim Make this end flush no over hang
Next Start At the "END" of the bass trap with the Muslim that has the fold make it 5mm before the end and stapel from the middel to the corner
Now fold the Mulim so that the over hang on the "LONG" sides is just covering the inner staples that were used for the Speaker Cloth, Paying attention that the long fold is straight all the way along the back edge of the frame.

Now go to the other end and pull the Muslin tight and staple from the middel out to the sides leaving the staples around 2"apart But not pulling the muslim over tight, Once this is done now start the sides working from one end to the other making sure that as you staple the Muslim fold is around 5mm from the outside edge of the frame you wont need to "STRECH the MUSLIM" for the LONG sides at all.

Your DIY "Pro" Looking Corner Broad band Bass trap is finnished to enjoy...:bigsmile: :yay:

I will Try to Attach the photos to there correct positions tomorrow (Unless "PROF" wants to do it) But hear they are for now all in one place Cheers.....

1 Frame.JPG

2 Closeup of Speaker cloth Staple.JPG

3 Broad Band Bass Trap Fiberglass.JPG

4 Corner Fold.JPG

5 Corner Fold Closeup.JPG

6 Laying out Muslin.JPG

8 Fold Muslem.JPG

9 Staple Muslin Ends first.JPG

11 finished Bass Trap.JPG

12 Close up Side.JPG

13 Closeup Side Fold.JPG

15 Air Stapler.JPG

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

And the finnished Bass traps in place in the back...

I hope this helps in giving people the motivation to have A go and make some...

Cheers...

14 Finished Bass Trap In Place.JPG

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

Very good, detailed description Jason...and they turned out alright.:T
I'm sure your work will be of benefit for anyone contemplating building this type of trap..

I tried the flat panel approach with the large air space behind, for my traps the other night..
I think it did actually show some improvement, particularly in the detail of the lower register, but I only had enough Supertel to make the panels 4" thick..
I'll have to get some more, and try them at 6" thick...

I haven't had any luck in finding that grille cloth material..I'm afraid the female assistants at my local Spotlight have never heard of grille cloth...all they know are dress materials..:rolleyesno:

I'm still in the middle of re-modelling my theatre, and I'm using up the black stretch material I already had, for the acoustic panels..
I may not have enough to re-do the bass traps, so I'll take another look at it then..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Hi Prof,
Thanks for the kind Words..

Yes I went with 6" thick on the front corners floor to ceiling and 4" thick for the rear corners from rear riser to ceiling but I also have thick theatre woolen curtains from Jands Audio on the large rear window..

The larger the air gap behined the Broad band Bass traps and the thicker 4"-6" the more coefficent (Supertel Ultratel) they will be in the lower end frequency's thus why I went 690 wide with the front Traps...The air gap has an affect much like using 4"Fiberglass thickness in place of 8" thus saving $$$$ and quadrupling the coefficence of the bass trap in the low frequency's, in that they will obsorb even lower also....

When you inquired about the Speaker cloth at your Spotlight store did you give them the Part No??...

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

Hi Prof,
Thanks for the kind Words..

Yes I went with 6" thick on the front corners floor to ceiling and 4" thick for the rear corners from rear riser to ceiling but I also have thick theatre woolen curtains from Jands Audio on the large rear window..

The larger the air gap behined the Broad band Bass traps and the thicker 4"-6" the more coefficent (Supertel Ultratel) they will be in the lower end frequency's thus why I went 690 wide with the front Traps...The air gap has an affect much like using 4"Fiberglass thickness in place of 8" thus saving $$$$ and quadrupling the coefficence of the bass trap in the low frequency's, in that they will obsorb even lower also....
Sorry Jason...I should have mentioned that the traps I changed were the rear ones..They were 6" thick, and right into the corners, but the're now 4" thick flat panels with an air space..
The front ones ( which are behind the screenwall ) are 6" thick, floor to ceiling and of the same type construction..flat panels..

When you inquired about the Speaker cloth at your Spotlight store did you give them the Part No??...
I've since contacted another branch and at least they know of speaker cloth..
I've given them the part no., but their computers were down at the time..so I've given them my number and I'm just waiting for a call back..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts

Hi jason,

I've heard back from spotlight and they found the material from the part no.
Unfortunately it's only available from their Geelong store..:scratch:..I have no idea why other branches in major cities don't stock it..:dunno: :coocoo:

It looks like if I ever need to get any of that material, I'll have to get it through your contact..

At the moment I have enough material to re-do the bass traps..and I've just started re-building them..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Prof,

What A pain mate, If or when you need some Speaker grill Cloth The Guy you need to talk to's name is Scott in the Dress department Spotlight Geelong Vic as I mentioned in the other post. He offered to ship it to you when I spoke with him...
I think He got it in because of alot of requests so I don't think its A standard line that spotlight carry....

How is your Home theatre coming Along mate ??....

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Hi Prof,

What A pain mate, If or when you need some Speaker grill Cloth The Guy you need to talk to's name is Scott in the Dress department Spotlight Geelong Vic as I mentioned in the other post. He offered to ship it to you when I spoke with him...
I think He got it in because of alot of requests so I don't think its A standard line that spotlight carry...
Thanks jason..I'll keep that in mind..

How is your Home theatre coming Along mate ??....
VERY slowly!!..It's taking longer than I expected..
It's not so much the construction side, but the finishing of the timber panels that's taking the time..
I'm using plain MDF for the soffit trays and columns and I'm applying a timber grained finish to them, using special artists paints..
Each panel has three different applications to get the required timber grain colour and effect..and of course there's a long drying time between each application..:whew:

The timber moulding I'm using for the external framing of the acoustic panels is prepainted with a white finish (you may know the type of moulding I'm talking about..it's used for skirting boards ) and this is proving even more difficult and time consuming to change it to a timber grain finish...But I'm slowly getting there and they're turning out quite nice..

So far I've finished two columns, two frames and two acoustic panels..and the soffit trays are up..
I have two more columns,two frames and two acoustic panels to go..and then I start on the new lighting!!..:whew:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had some spare time on my hands to make Another Broadband trap 2" thick ultratel, to be mounted on the ceiling in the front 1/3 of my home theatre in between and in front of the main speakers ...My plan was to hang the trap with a 2"-4" gap between the trap and ceiling...

Pictures and details to come...

Cheers....

1 - 20 of 175 Posts