Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! New member here and I'm looking for some advice. It would seem that after less than a year my NXG sub has bit the dust. Long story short, the manufacturer wont help me, and amazon cant help me. I know the problem is with the plate amp that came with it, it was notorious for failure after the 6 month mark (wish i knew then). Anyways, should I try troubleshooting this out and fixing it or just replace it with like a Yung or Dayton plate amp. the problem is the unit takes a while to power on and when it finally does, there is no signal going to the driver. There is also a hissy whining sound coming from the board. I cant tell if it is one of the transformers or the caps but i know it never used to make that sound before. Any help or suggestion will be more than welcomed.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
To be honest its not likely going to to be worth fixing it. If you can fit another plate amp in there that may be an option however you might be better off just getting a new sub altogether.
Do you have a budget in mind?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I didn't want to go over 250 and I dont know many subs in that price range that were able to compete when I first pulled the trigger on the NXG. I have a feeling that if I get a new plate amp it would require some serious re-sizing on the back of the box.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a beauty, ill have to keep that bookmarked for Tax season, lol. I still have thinking to do on a whole new sub. Would you happen to have any plate amp recommendations up your sleeve? I appreciate your quick responses !

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have decided a new subwoofer would be the way to go, I am stuck between the HSU you mentioned and BIC PL-200, do you have any experience with this unit to tell how it matches up against it? I did some research but there is only so much graphs can tell you. A saw a few people offer up the Cadence CSX-12 Mark II as competition for the hsu. I would say now that my budget would go up to ~350. I will continue to do research, thank again for all the help you have given me :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
My personal opinion is the HSU is a better build quality. I've never heard a bic product that I liked.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I agree with Tony. Both offer bang for your buck, but I think HSU has rightfully earned a better reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All this searching has me drooling over HSU's line up. Are there particular rules to off topic discussion in this forum because this has gone from a service to a recommendations thread, though too many threads makes things a mess so one last question would the extra extension of the VTF-2 MK4 make a noticeable difference to justify the extra 200? I can't imagine those subsonic frequencies do much more than shake the house and I'm not sure I need to feel my movie that badly. Wish I joined here before I bought my mistake last december.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If you can do the extra $200 it would be a big step up in performance. Trust me when I say you would say "why did I not get this before" yes the deeper existention is a big help in movies

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
If you can do the extra $200 it would be a big step up in performance. Trust me when I say you would say "why did I not get this before" yes the deeper existention is a big help in movies

Yes it would. It seems to me too that subs that extend deeper are usually more linear throughout their whole range. It's more than just the difference in a few hz. I think it has to do with control of the driver, through the amp and motor structure. It will cost a little more, but not compared to the big picture. You'll never say, I wish I got the lesser sub. Especially once you experience it. Nothing stings like buyers remorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts