Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure we've all heard of the supposed "brown note" and I've seen the episode of mythbusters and even been on their forums where it's been talked about. I just think it's actually possible, or as they say "plausible". I think the way they administered their tests weren't up to snuff like they could have been. I've posted on Discovery forums and there's very few replies and those are from people who know next to nothing about audio. I figured the good minds at the 'Shack could do a little back and forth on this one.

They certainly had a nice stack of subwoofers there, but I think that Jamie's first statement that they "need a big place like this (parking lot) to test the brown note" is one of the reasons the test went wrong. I believe that if they were to have did a test indoors with proper low tuned or sealed subwoofers that they would've got better results. The loudest they got in subsonic frequencies of 7, 8, or 9 hz was around 108-110 dB I think. I know there are at least a dozen people, and probably a LOT more, that can achieve this level with their current setup at home. I think if they were to have the same amount of woofers like they had in their test, but drop the tune and bring them inside they would be able to boost those levels to 130 dB or more. I'm still not sure (in fact I'm almost positive) this would work. I think they'd need 150 dB or more at those freqencies. That would probably be nearly impossible to actually achieve, but I think in that range or a bit higher it could certainly happen.

I've been in a car that played at 150+ dB and that alone made my head swim. Prolonged exposure would've probably made me throw up. This was at boomy bass frequencies of 60 + hz. At the subsonic frequencies I could probably imagine that it would've made my stomach hurt or lose control of bowels.

Thoughts? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
122 Posts
FWIW I've had the pleasure of experiencing 165dbs @ 56hz for 10 seconds. No issues in the bowel department.

Perhaps 180dbs @ 10hz may be the secret..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
165db is loud but not earth shattering at 56Hz, Thats getting into the audible range not so much felt. The stuff below 30Hz is where you'll have issues with your body reacting strange if at high enough SPL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts