Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an acoustic research s112ps that I haven’t used in years, think it was from high school. It still works so I was thinking of building a cheap sub setup for my ht/movies/ps3. In the product description it says 130w but if you look at the amp it says 230w at 120v. So I don't know if it’s junk or if I can build a cheap sub setup. I have the Polk monitor cs2 center and monitor 40 rears and I think I’m getting the monitor 70 for the fronts. I am also looking at getting a TV and receiver this week, black Friday! I was going to send some cash on the TV and receiver and skimp on the sub until I could afford to build something nice. If I’m using this amp and buying a cheap sub, could I get some ok sound for a few months? Pls let me know your opinions, recommended subs and box designs. I have plenty of space for a big box, thx for any input. I'm new at ht and am reading several hours a day to try and learn as much as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am from the old school and decades before subs were in vogue in I built my own. (1980)
I took this massive 15" woofer and gently stood it in an empty keg (full size of course), which had one end cut out.
It was firing up and did not have all the modern gizmos, but this thing would bite. And at the right frequencies it could thump with the best of them.
Besides you would have the hottest sub in town, MMM, mmmm toasty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts