Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built in a SVS BP13 Ultra -- I have a rear spot which would require that it be housed on the floor inside a closet with the front of the sub flush with the wall -- I constructed a "chamber" within the closet with MDF and plywood glued and screwed with 2 inches of space all around to house a sub such as the SVS BP13 Ultra.

Does anyone see any issues with housing a rear sub (to support the front two subs) in such a manner -- the room design restrictions prevent the usual rear corner placements.

Thoughts/opinions?

MikeSp

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I don't think you would reap the benefits of the sub faceing it towards a wall. Correct me if i'm misunderstanding your post.:T

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I have moved to the DIY section as this will sit better in this section, It does seem to be a different location than normal and not too sure it would work well :scratch:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I ran my PB13 ultra with the face about 9 inches away from the wall with no issues. However if I face my diy subs towards the wall a bit closer then the bass sounds very boomy. What size driver would you use. I am guessing a 15" driver as the only 13" driver I know is the ED 13av.2 which they only supply in a sealed sub so I don't know how this would model in a ported alignment and in 3 tunes. If you could get it in a smallish box then I don't see any reason why not and it wouldn't be too hard to better it for performance for alot less money.

ED's website does state it can be used in a ported alignment and that driver will take 1200/1500 watts rms but whether is would need a much bigger box I don't know as I don't have winisd at work.

Nothing taken away from SVS as its a cracking sub.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Mike,

How would the Shiva work in a 3 tune sub like the PB13. would you be able to run 10hz, 15hz and 20hz simulations with that driver and keep velocity down low enough in that size enclosure.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think you would reap the benefits of the sub faceing it towards a wall. Correct me if i'm misunderstanding your post.:T
My wording left something to be desired since I tried to be very brief - but the sub would be potentially located in a cavity in the wall with the sub facing out and the sub itself would be scooted back into the cavity in the wall (the cavity would be sized for the sub). :scratch:

Thanks to those who made suggestions about building a sub, but at my stage in life with SWMBO's* nearly infinite list of "todo's" for me in retirement, I am seeking a turn-key solution. When younger, I LOVED the idea of building my own whatevers and have a well-equipped workshop in which to do it. The idea of an infinite baffle sub is still of interest, BUT, in this case, I just want to get this media/HT room finished ASAP so I can move on to the next project on the list. :sweat:

I appreciate the forum mods, but in this case, as the OP, I assure you that this was not a question about DIY (building a sub), but rather whether one could be placed in a wall cavity (facing out) and not loose much woofage when it was used in the rear of the room to support the two subs in the front corners of the room. :ponder:

MikeSp

*She Who Must Be Obeyed

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Mike,

Yes, we did this in a build. In fact, we shoved two of them in a wall! :T It isn't a problem from the cursory point of view, but there are other considerations to keep in mind...too many to list here. Best wishes! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts