Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been saving for a nice subwoofer that is in the $1000 range but the more I look at these threads the more I'm considering building my own. I have to admit it looks intimidating especially viewing all of the posts and how elaborate your garages and equipment are. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do have access to shop tools but lack the confidence. Perhaps someone can inspire me with their first successful build? :help:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just finished building two Rythmik 15 inch subwoofers. They compete with subs in the 1500-3000 range in sound quality. I know because I go to these high end listening rooms where they sell that kind of equipment, then I go home and pop in the same movie and listen. Rythmik sub kits are roughly between 4-600 depending on what you are getting. I bought two at the same time and paid by check, that got me two discounts together which lowered the price even more.
As far as the build goes, the boxes themselves were really very easy. However the baffle system was quite intensive labor wise. I got a little burned out on that day. I spent roughly 7 hours cutting them, cutting the holes in them and then smoothing them all out. And that did not include glueing them in, that was the next day. In the end I spent two full days and about 7 evenings to build two subs. I use two subs so you cannot 'localize' on the sub frequencies. I think it sounds better when you cant tell where it is coming from.
Anyway, I think that DIY is the way to go as the build is fun, you can keep the quality the same as the really expensive subs and you can save quite a bit. Here is the link to my build I just finished about 3 weeks ago.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...646-rythmik-15-sealed-sub-build-two-them.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny Dan, I was actually viewing your site last night which prompted me to post this thread. I was cracking up looking at your quality inspectors, your cats. Too funny! Looking at all of the cuttings you had was what intimidated me and I agree putting all together has to been a chore. I'll do more research on hometheatershack as much as I can. Thanks for the reply and inspiration, your subs look great. Nice work, if only I had a neighbor as yourself. LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes! Sonotube eliminates alot of the bracing issues. I think a sonotube with a servo sub set up would be awesome. I did not go that way due the the WAF. Had to keep them as small and dark as possible.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I built the first of my two LARGE subs in a 850 sq ft apartment, so you definitely don't need a dedicated wood shop :R

If you are worried about the box and not having tools, I would encourage you to search for a local cabinet maker or woodworker to do the cutting. Since you'd still be assembling it, they shouldn't charge you much at all for the cutting, maybe a couple hundred bucks tops. You'll still have plenty left for the driver and amp, and you'll at least be confident that the fit of the pieces will be nice and square.

Either way, going DIY will definitely yield a lot more performance in your price range.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good ideal Steve, have a cabinet maker cut every piece for a precisely tight fit! I can certainly do the assembly part of it. Didn't think about that option. I'll have to find preset drawing on the cabinet whith a port(s) approximately 25”D x 19"W x 21" H.
If veneering is too technical I can always spray a nice finish on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts