Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently working on implementing a subwoofer into my current stereo setup as I want more bass for watching movies with.

Currently I have a NAD C355 amp paired with EB Acoustics EB1 speakers. I have a subwoofer that was previously in my old car a JL Audio 8w3v2-D2 and I am planning to power it with my old car amp a Rainbow iPaul 4.300.

I have been playing with WinISD and calculated the frequency curves for the current enclosure compared with the recommended enclosure that JL Audio recommend for their ported design.

http://www.fast-forward.sk/znacky/pdf/8W3v2.pdf

From what I can tell it would appear that building a new enclosure would greatly improve the response of the lower frequencies, especially improving the -3dB and -6dB points.

Just wondering if anyone can give any pointers on starting a project to build this or perhaps how I can improve on the design that JL Audio recommend? I've never built a sub box before, never mind a slotted port variety.

My plan is to have a crack at this with a mind to possibly doing another build later in the year with a new driver, probably something around 12" to give more ooomph in the sub 30hz range for movie explosions.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am following this one. I am about to do the same thing using a JL10w3v3 I noticed that WINISD calculated a box almost 35% bigger than JL's recommended szie. I actually emailed JL support and they got back to me with a good answer. They design their recommend boxes taking into account space trade offs for car trunks and SUV floor space. He said the calculations I got from WINisd should work well for a ported enclosure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually finished integrating the subwoofer into my hifi system by using a MiniDSP 2x4 and measuring with a UMIK-1 and for now I think I am going to be sticking with it in its current enclosure.

After using REW in conjunction with the MiniDSP I am getting a pretty good response curve down to about 25 - 30Hz, which to be honest is pretty reasonable for an 8inch subwoofer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts