Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting, although I've been a long time reader of the forums. I am rebuilding this sub in a new enclosure, with a new amp, since I did such a cheapo job last time I built it. I had basically just thrown it in an old Velodyne enclosure that was made for an 8 inch sub with a passive radiator, and used the amp that was in it (60 W I believe). This was way underpowered and too small and kind of a flimsy enclosure for the sub. I just purchased a 250 W Dayton plate amp, and plan to use a solid slab door that I have for the enclosure. The door is 1.5" mdf with a 1/8" oak veneer on each side. I plan to miter the 4 sides, and have the end walls able to be adjusted in or out to increase or decrease enclosure volume. I'm thinking that with this thickness, I won't need to brace the cabinet internally. Any thoughts? This is my first build from the ground up, and I haven't used any modeling software, just REW. I know the volume target is around 30 liters, and I'm building to be able to go from ~30 to 39 L.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
SO what will the dimensions be of the enclosure?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
35H?

Either way just make sure to brace at least every 8" of length in any direction. For the shorter lengths half way should suffice.

Regarding design what are you going to port at? And do you have a pair of PR's?

If you dont have a pair of PR's you will have to keep volume down quite a bit so you dont break your PR. Always best to have a pair of PR one size up than the active driver with similar excursion. I am designing a PR for my own build and excursion goes pretty fast when tuning higher than 25hz. So tune low and have ample amount of Vd for your PR's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
35 inches wide. It will effectively be 30 wide with the recessed ends. 3 internal braces using the same wood should bring volume down to about 30L.
I only have the one PR. Peerless no longer makes these. I'll have to break down and use one of the modeling programs to see how much weight to add.
I'll try to get some pics up Tuesday when I'm off next. I cut the slab door into the 4 mitered pieces so far. I'm curious to see what this thing will weigh when it's done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts