Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any links on someone building a curved screen and how to do it. i am looking to build a screen out of blackout cloth and i am toying with the idea of making it a curved screen as i have heard it helps the sharpness of the image at the edge of the screen and also helps the gain. is this correct? the screen size is going to about 115" diagonally and about 17' for the projector... would a screen this size benefit from being curved? :dontknow:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Which projector?

Generally curved screens are used for high gain material as they help to eliminate hot spotting. I don't see the issue of sharpness being a problem with newer projectors. Then again, I have no experience with curved screens. :huh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which projector?

Generally curved screens are used for high gain material as they help to eliminate hot spotting. I don't see the issue of sharpness being a problem with newer projectors. Then again, I have no experience with curved screens. :huh:
I haven't bought the projector yet but i am pretty sure its going to be the Panny AE4000. i will be using the projector with some ambient light to watch sporting events and such...

·
Registered
115 Posts
if the screen is to be curved are their changes to the projector that need to happen inorder to prevent the image from being distorted on the screen? or are those settings that the projectors can just 'do' via the menu's and settings

i guess the ? is, do you need a special projector todo this?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I would think that most projectors sold within the last 3-4 years would have been designed to project on a flat surface, but that is just an assumption.

Because home screens are quite small compared to what commercial movie screens used to be (does anyone remember the huge theaters of yesteryear? Those screens were humongous!) I think the main reason to use a curved screen is to decrease hot spotting with high gain screens for very low Lumen PJ's. Image focal or distortion problems should be minimal with todays PJ's.

If you do decide to build a curved screen make it toroidal not parabolic - there is a big difference! Satellite dishes are parabolic so that all the signals that strike the large reflector are concentrated at the feed horn/antenna and this is why a satellite over 23000 miles away transmitting with less signal strength that a CB radio can be received over much of the North American continent.

Back in the day when people were stamping dishes out of metal someone decided to buff one to a high mirror-like polish and pointed it at the sun. It was discovered that a rod of steel rebar that is used to reinforce cement structures would melt just about as fast as if would fall through the dishes focal point!!!

The moral of the story is: make a large high gain screen parabolic and you will see a really bright image for a very brief time... and then your head will explode! :bigsmile:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
walls are painted (except for some touch up, the 2nd seating platform is built and i am looking for carpet now
Well then buy the projector and see how it performs on the flat wall. If you like it, there's no need to bother with the trouble of building a curved screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts