Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am in the process of building a pair of 10 inch subwoofers from JL Audio 10W6v2-D4 (400 watts) for my hometheater. I was advised by the JL Audio retailer that these drivers will be fine for application as long as the receiver can handle/accept the relevant ohms of 4 ohms(paralell) or 8 ohms(series). Building the box will be a snap as I am an avid woodworker. But my questions are
A) Can I use these drivers for my intended design and if so do I need any other products for it to play efficiently.
B) If I build a powered box with the same driver are there any recommendations or subwoofer amps that you can recommend that these bad boys can handle.

Thanks for all the feedback
Lammy

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The box size will be
W - H - D
13.25 x 13 x 11
Sealed

This box will be built from 1 inch MDF
as will be the bracing

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
651 Posts
hey lammy,

I think you need an external amp for these subs (the receiver can't power these guys)
I think an external amp is better than a plate amp (box will be easier to build)
many people use the Behringer EP2500 for their subwoofers

last question: where in toronto did you get the JL Audio's? how much? who's the dealer over there? (interested to get some for myself)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I was checking out the power amps - do you know of any other power amps that would be able to feed these drivers...I take it the type of drivers for this project is usable. I was looking to get the amps in Canada as it would cost abit to prob clear custom... Any ideas?

I found all the authorized dealers on JLAudio site - the link is attached
www.gemsen.com/jlaudiodealers/[/url]
Thanks again

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This guy (Chase -owner) gave me the best price of all the others I spk to......

Chase Custom Car Audio
777 Warden Ave # 11
Toronto / Scarborough
Ontario
M1L 4C3
416 750-4434

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think a Nady XA-900 would give you enough power if you ran the voice coils in parallel (400 W/channel @ 2 ohms), and it's about half the price of the EP2500. If you got the EP2500, you'd want to run the voice coils in series - the EP2500 does 500 W/channel @ 8 ohms.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How exactly are you talking about running the drivers? With dual 4 ohm voice coils you can run each driver either at 2 ohms or 8 ohms. If you are going to run both drivers off of a single amp channel then you can run them as a single 4 ohm load with a series/parallel wiring configuration.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ JorgenMan - The Nady XA 900 looks good but I am going to ask my bro' to pick up the EP2500 as the power availability is giving me the option to chng the sub size based on it power output.

@ Brian Bunge - I am looking to run these drivers at 8 ohms - 500 watts for each channel. I want to have a left and right sub setup for my HT - with that in mind are there any other recommendations that I can go with to the same or better effect with the same products mentioned(drivers and amps)

Thanks inadvance

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am going to ask my bro' to pick up the EP2500 as the power availability is giving me the option to chng the sub size based on it power output.
Sounds like a good plan to me. :T

are there any other recommendations that I can go with to the same or better effect with the same products mentioned(drivers and amps)
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, could you be more specific?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
what I meant was - with the 8 ohm setup I am going with, do you think it will yield an excellent sound quality as opposed to the recommendation of the 2 ohms series/paralell or even with the 4 ohms config...Now that I am thinking about it - it should be pretty much the same - but is it more work for the amp or is it the same regardless of the setup....

Thanks again

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 8-ohm load is easier for the amplifier to drive, so it will give a cleaner signal than to a 4- or 2-ohm load (while not delivering as much power). How much "cleaner" will it sound? I don't know, really. For a subwoofer amplifier, I'm not sure it makes too much of a difference.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback, I can't believe I did not find this site out sooner - but now I know they are right when they say "better late than never" - my next step is to get all the materials and knock this project out - I will be sure to post the progress and pics when I start until finish - to be continued,

·
Registered
96 Posts
We look forward to it. Be sure to post any questions, and we'll try to help as much as we can. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts